JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
We have an opportunity to develop an area, in the forest, to be a good place for target shooting. This is a unique opportunity for us to make a difference and to encourage shooting at specific locations (rather than any old place in the forest).

EDIT; It's not to be a real range. Not staffed, no buildings there. On public land. It's just a dead end dirt road that we can push some dirt around with some Tonka trucks. At least we have a chance to make a place where it would be more desirable to shoot there and not at the trees down the road. It would also be easier to keep it clean, since it wouldn't be covered in brush.

In this particular case, close to the Portland Metro area, all we need is the heavy equipment. They will provide the place and the needed materials.

We have a Cul-de-sac with 3 spur roads off it that are 'dead ended', in a popular area for target shooting. All we need to do is bull doze the roads to create berms along the sides and ends. We design it, provide the heavy equipment and they provide the materials.

We can develop a long range that might get one 100 yards, 1 medium and 1 short range lanes. All have some backstop but each needs more berms.

As we work with them on this, do we have your support? Do you think we can get donations of the equipment, with operators, needed? Does anyone have experience with shooting range design and development? And, what would you like to see as a final product?

Your input, help and encouragement is appreciated!

Bill

Last Edited:
I don' know that we need funds, at this point. However, if we can't get a donation of heavy equipment, we may need to rent some.

Mostly looking for input and development ideas at this point.

Count me in... For ideas, recommend designing around safety first, since this would have more users than a typical shooting spot. Some random ideas:

1. Leave poke-in flags at each range so shooters can signal when they're ready for the range to go cold.

2. Ensure the berms are free of rock. Make sure shooters understand shooting over them is not acceptable (a distant mountain is not part of the berm).

3. This might be controversial, but maybe put up a gate on the main road to discourage people from hauling in couches, boats, etc to shoot. Generally people bring less trash when they have to carry it 1/2 mile. Also frankly a lot of shooters need the exercise...

4. Put up a big gong on the distance range, sink poles in deep w/cement foundation so tough to steal.

5. Maybe make one area an action range with really high berms?

6. Maybe designate a non-shooting area across the road, with outhouse, picnic tables, posted rules, etc. This would discourage signs and outhouse being used as a target.

Bill, just curious you mentioned Department of Fish and Wildlife. Is that ODFW or USFWS? Would this be their land or USFS land?

Count me in... For ideas, recommend designing around safety first, since this would have more users than a typical shooting spot. Some random ideas:

1. Leave poke-in flags at each range so shooters can signal when they're ready for the range to go cold.

2. Ensure the berms are free of rock. Make sure shooters understand shooting over them is not acceptable (a distant mountain is not part of the berm).

3. This might be controversial, but maybe put up a gate on the main road to discourage people from hauling in couches, boats, etc to shoot. Generally people bring less trash when they have to carry it 1/2 mile. Also frankly a lot of shooters need the exercise...

4. Put up a big gong on the distance range, sink poles in deep w/cement foundation so tough to steal.

5. Maybe make one area an action range with really high berms?

6. Maybe designate a non-shooting area across the road, with outhouse, picnic tables, posted rules, etc. This would discourage signs and outhouse being used as a target.

Bill, just curious you mentioned Department of Fish and Wildlife. Is that ODFW or USFWS? Would this be their land or USFS land?

Excellent feed back! We will be considering each of these points as we review the planning process.

The idea is that we work with these agencies to develop specific areas for target shooting locations. It's our inherited right to be able to shoot on public land and we should demonstrate our stewardship in preserving that right. Thus, we should be actively involved in this activity of recreational target shooting by contributing our ideas and help in efforts to curb the concerns of trash by target shooters.

I like each of your points. We'll need to discuss more on this as we go. Thanks!

Bill

Last Edited:
The best public range I ever saw is at Ft Bayard, New Mexico.
I have relatives down there. I will ask if someone will go out and photograph it for us.
Also, I'm sure the NRA can supply design information. Another source for heavy equipment is the local National Guard. They may help out as an opportunity for training.

Not to be a downer, but consider having a plan to contend with environmentalist screaming about ground contamination from the concentration of buried projectiles in the backstop, etc.

o_O
FYI You are correct. As much as any of us don't like this enviromental BS. It is
a requirement to have an environmental clean up plan.

Think that's needed if it's not a 'designated' shooting place? Such as, it's just a place where a bull dozer pushed around some dirt. Like any other pit area. It's not going to be staffed, nor any tables or anything else. Just a dead end road. With side walls. And an end wall.

I see the mistake. I called it a public range. Habit, I guess. I'll edit that. Also added a little more clarification to the original post.

dihydrogen monoxide (DHMO) is a solvent found in 100% of US well water. It is present in significant concentrations in our food supply and thus in our children.

When ingested or inhaled in large amounts it is fatal.

Although found naturally, its intensive use in agriculture and industry has made it ubiquitous in the modern world. The latest theories in fact are positing that a significant increase in DHMO is even threatening whole communities.

Why are we worried about lead (or copper or bismuth or iron or tin) in the ground in the forest 30 miles from town when the scourge of DHMO is unchecked?

Aren't we willing to do something?... For the children?

I sincerely hope your plan succeeds. Similar range near Stevenson WA. Nice place
open to public. Had a pistol and rifle range. Closed now due to A-holes using it
for a garbage dump. It seems like a simple idea but in todays world with all the
regulations, requirements and BS getting in the way. Too many
bureaucrats and politicians that want to justify their worthless existence in this
world. IMHO I commend you for your effort. Now we need someone with the big
equipment to help.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top