JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The police can't protect you; you have to protect yourself. Detroiters are learning that lesson with 10 self-defense killings since January.
<broken link removed>
Detroit— Criminals prowling for victims in Detroit are instead finding armed citizens willing to open fire.
A northwest Detroit homeowner on Tuesday fatally shot two men he said were trying to break into his west-side house.
If those shootings are ruled self-defense, they will bring to 10 the number of fatal self-defense shootings in the city since Jan. 1.
Detroit has traditionally had a large percentage of the nation's justifiable homicides by citizens. In 2012, the last year for which national figures are available, there were 25 justifiable homicides in Detroit, which made up 8 percent of the 310 seen nationwide. Last year, there were 15 justifiable homicides in the city.
"It's horrific what's going on in the city, where people have to defend their homes with guns," said the Rev. Barak Holmes of Diverse Deliverance, who lives near the house where Tuesday's shootings occurred and heard four shots.
"We have to pray for our city."
Detroit Police Sgt. Michael Woody said the homeowner heard a commotion near his side window at about 10:30 a.m. Tuesday on the 14800 block of Dexter. The man decided to go out the back door to see what was happening in his driveway.
When the resident spotted the two men in their 20s, a fight ensued. The homeowner reached for his handgun and opened fire, killing both.
The homeowner has a concealed pistol license, Woody said. The case is being forwarded to the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office to determine if the shooting was justifiable or if charges will be filed. It was unclear if the two suspects were armed.
Woody said police responded to a break-in at the same home on Friday.
Detroit Police Chief James Craig said at a press conference last week that in his 37-year career, he's never seen as many homeowners defending themselves by shooting intruders. Craig told The News in January he felt the crime rate could be lowered if more "good Americans" were armed, because he said criminals would think twice about attacking.
"It does appear more and more Detroiters are becoming empowered," Craig said. "More and more Detroiters are getting sick of the violence. I know of no other place where I've seen this number of justifiable homicides. It's interesting that these incidents go across gender lines."
Among the recent incidents:
■On March 7, a woman in her 50s shot and killed a man trying to break into her home in the 22000 block of Grove Street. She heard noises at her rear window and shot the intruder in the chest.
■At 2 a.m. Feb. 22, two men broke into a house on the city's southwest side; the homeowner shot both men. A 21-year-old man died and the other man escaped.
■Earlier on Feb. 22, at 12:30 a.m., a woman who was surprised by a gunman when she pulled her car into the garage was able to reach for her own gun and fatally shoot the man.
■A woman on Feb. 17 opened fire on three teens who kicked in her door. The alleged intruders, ages 14, 14 and 15, were caught by police and charged with home invasion.
"People who are faced with a dangerous situation are taking matters into their own hands," Craig said. "We're not advocating violence; we're advocates of not being victims. We're advocates of self-protection. We want people to be safe.
"This should be a message to those who continue to perpetuate violence on Detroiters that enough is enough. You've got to be concerned about good Detroiters who aren't going to stand for it," Craig said. "Detroiters are fed up and they are taking action."
Johnny West, a 63-year-old resident of the city's east side, is licensed to carry a .40 caliber Glock, and said he'll use it if need be.
"People have to protect themselves," West said. "These criminals have no business breaking into people's houses in the first place. Don't take what's not yours, and everything will be OK. If someone's coming in your house, you don't have time to call the cops; you'll end up laying there dead. You got to do what you got to do."
[email protected]
(313) 222-2134

Wow! Good deal! People all over the country are sick of feeling like victims and outraged about slap on the wrist "justice"! I really like they're Mayor! "we are not advocating violence! We are advocates of not being victims!"
This article just made my day! Thanks Qaolin!

Yes. Your security is your responsibility. Never count on police or others, they will fail you every time (contrary to the constant message off the lamestream media nightly news).

If someone wants to bring violence to your person or home meet it head on.

I believe it was John Wayne that said something like 'be kind and caring to others but understand there are those out there that wish to do violence to you and yours. You must meet these people head on with 10x the determination to stop them in their tracks.'

I really butchered that ^^^ but that was the jest of what was said.

You know, back when men were able to talk like men and not get out their politically correct speech guidebook first.

Down here in Lincoln county we have no county law enforcement on duty past 1am. When a resident recently called to report a person screaming incoherently and ranting on their front porch in a drug induced haze they were told by dispatch to defend themselves with any means needed including shooting the person if they felt their lives were in jeopardy as they were unable to respond. Her husband was able to "dissuade" the lunatic with a few well placed hits to the head with a? While mamma grabbed the pistol. That's the reality of it, your own well being lies in your own hands.

I agree Burt, I never fully put my faith in anyone but myself to defend my family. As it is, where we live the response time would be at least an hour coming even on a good day.

Down here in Lincoln county we have no county law enforcement on duty past 1am. When a resident recently called to report a person screaming incoherently and ranting on their front porch in a drug induced haze they were told by dispatch to defend themselves with any means needed including shooting the person if they felt their lives were in jeopardy as they were unable to respond. Her husband was able to "dissuade" the lunatic with a few well placed hits to the head with a? While mamma grabbed the pistol. That's the reality of it, your own well being lies in your own hands.

I agree Burt, I never fully put my faith in anyone but myself to defend my family. As it is, where we live the response time would be at least an hour coming even on a good day.

Salmonrriverjohn, you're lucky to at least have some law enforcement in Lincoln County. Here in Josephine County we have no law enforcement at all. The tweakers, junkies, and low life's, are having a field day out stealing everything they can. If we could just get rid of the District Attorney office so they won't be able to prosecute the good citizens for doing their jobs. The folks out in the county would take care of the scum bag problem in no time.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top