1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this month -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

Determing gun values

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by cricket, Feb 28, 2010.

1. cricket

cricket Douglas County New Member

What is a good source or way to determine the value of used guns. I have a couple that I might like to trade or sell but don't want to overprice or sell for lots less than the real value.
  2. gunnails

gunnails Hillsboro Active Member

Gunbroker.com is a good nationwide auction site, just search out what guns you have and what they are selling for.

Post pictures of what you have and this forum will help value your guns.
  3. gst264

gst264 Independence Member

I use the most recent edition of the Blue Book of Gun Values by Fjestad to get me in the ballpark. I think that gunbroker and gunsamerica are good resources also but, they are auctions. I take the sale prices into consideration but don't see them as absolute values. There will always be someone out there with extra cash to spend and pay a lot more than book value for an item they want. Which is why most of us start off high and come down if we need to.

The other issue is determining condition. Just like property is location....with guns it's all about condition. The hard part can be agreeing on condition if it's not new. That's why I like Fjestad, it has pictures in it that help you figure it out.

4. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member

Remembering those are auctions etc.
    Another good way to help price is find one new, determine condition, rounds fired etc. How bad would you need the $$, how fast,
  5. GED

GED North Idaho Active Member

xtratoy Vancouver USA Active Member

I go to gunbroker.com and do an advanced search for the gun I am looking for under completed auctions. this shows auctions that have finished and what they sold for. It shows what a particular gun actually sells for and you will see several that never even get a bid because of being priced to high or having a high reserve price. You can choose how far back in time to look at and it gives you an idea of what people interested in that gun are willing to pay. Just because someone is asking $xxx for there gun, doesn't mean they will get it.
  7. Oohrah

Oohrah NorthwestSouthern Oregon Coast Member

Rule of thumb for me is if I can't hold and inspect, it's a NO buy. Each person's idea of condition on used pretty well sucks and they over rate the conditions of the firearm. Unless new in the box, and even then there isn't a way to determine that it has been stored properly.
    You can determine approximately going prices through Gun Digest magazine, Gun Broker, and a few others. Prices through Blue Book, and Standard Book of Values are close, but usually are a year or two late, and some collector types appreciate more rapid than the book will reflect. Also determination of TRUE condition should be used. Details are tough to determine as well as what sells in your area, scarcity of the firearm.
    I keep a running updated appraisal using the book, and alert to the market.
    Somewhere between the last and present will be an average price, unless a speciality type. Example is I own an 03A4 unfired with a history, with no scope or rings. It came from the DCM back in the early 60s and papered for the grand sum off $14.50. No clue of the value, if it were for sale, but based on present 03 prices, it has to be in the Ks, and perhaps double with the correct scope and Redfield rings may even double. I have seen many A4s, but none in unfired condition with a traceable history. Bottom line is the buyers market will determine the value, as there is no set method I know of.
  8. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member