JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good story Taku !
I'm even more impressed by the family that was all found safe in the mountains in Nevada solely for the fact that he had several very young children with him....they all made it out safe and sound ( thank God) ....

Good story Taku !
I'm even more impressed by the family that was all found safe in the mountains in Nevada solely for the fact that he had several very young children with him....they all made it out safe and sound ( thank God) ....

I am surprised when seeing their car upside down that no one even got hurt. That is a long time with kids.
People would not have to go through that if they carried a simple beacon. 406 sat and weather permitting
in a life and death situation NOAA has the information, your relative contact data and SAR is usually notified within
an average of 2 1/2 min. That gives them a location and with the ACR they still transmit on the 121.5 which now they use to triangulate in ground search. The Kims would have been rescued within an hr had they had one with them.
We always carry one when remote and also have life-flite insurance.

It seems the initial story is one strictly about determination, and what happens when your execution shows a total lack of proper planning.

On the other hand, the second story (of the Nevada Family) shows how proper preparation averted a total catastrophe that would have landed them in the same situation as the first guy.

It also strikes me that an amateur radio probably would have had as much utility as a PLB. Probably more, as bringing a vehicle with a winch could have flipped the vehicle back over and gotten it up and running again and drive out without having to get SAR all spun up.

I remember a few years ago, I did something stupid and stuck my jeep in some mud/sand out near the salton sea, I was in the process of pulling it out with a hi-lift jack ORK in 120F heat when someone with a big truck showed up and saved me from what would have been several more uncomfortable hours of hand operated winching. The next day after getting home, and pressure-washing all the salt and muck off my vehicle I went out and bought a 12000lb winch that fits into standard receiver hitch sockets, and mounted one on the front of the vehicle as well.

The better prepared you are, the less life threatening every situation becomes.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top