JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
USA Today has finally revealed in a news article today what guns were used in the Dallas Police HQ attack. And the results are very surprising. Not at all what I expected. It turns out that all of these numerous reports in the national press of an assault rifle being used in this attack were FALSE!! Can you imagine that??

Does this mean that the press has a bias against such rifles? Why would they jump to assume something without having any hard evidence? Simply because of the number of bullet holes found?

It turns out that the shooter, James Boulware, did not use anything at all remotely like a AK-47 or AR-15. Yet, it was universally reported in the media that he used an Assault Rifle. I even saw a couple of news articles mention that the incident could potentially generate new calls for gun control, because of that.

Here are the guns that Boulware had on him:

Cheap Jennings 9mm handgun
Taurus Judge in .45 LC/410 shotshell
Savage Model 111 bolt action hunting rifle in 6.5 x 284 caliber with Redfield scope
Ruger 10-22 with Nikon scope
Stevens Model 320 pump action 12 gauge shotgun with pistol grip

The only gun that could remotely be called Tactical would be the Stevens shotgun, since it has a pistol grip. After looking again at some of the damage to the windows at the HQ, I think that it looks pretty clear that a lot of the holes were from buckshot patterns fired at long range. So it actually looks like most of the damage was not even done by a semiautomatic weapon, despite universal press coverage of that being the case.

Anyway, if anyone tells you that the Dallas shooting shows that an Assault Weapons ban is needed, you can now set them straight.

Although I supposed that we might get calls now to ban pump action shotguns and the Ruger 10-22. They are both already banned in Australia.

Here is a link to the full USA Today news story about this:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/06/16/dallas-police-shooting/28796999/

Hey, I own one of those!:eek: The Stevens 320. Hard kicking w/o an aftermarket butt pad!

Now the 10-22 could have been jazzed up to what the media would deem an "assault weapon".
A butler creek folding stock and a BX-25 magazine, but the pic shows it as being plain jane stock.

Vid won't play for me as I have a lot of pop-up virus safety mumbo jumbo going on, on this computer.

Press probably got it wrong at first because someone saw the pistol gripped black shotgun. At a glance with the unconventional fore grip and sights the 320 looks the part.
Also like you say the amount of holes. Maybe the amount of return fire as well that no one knew didn't come from the shooter.

Last Edited:
upload_2015-6-16_17-56-1.png

I'm guessing that the media didn't take a milisecond to consider weapon types. After all what kind of nut would attack a police headquarters? A right wing, assault weapon owning nut, that's what kind!
If there was any thought process at all it probably ran something like this
"Duhuh, lotsa holes!" "Assult machin guns!" "This is an outrage!" "Quick!" "Run out the children!"

It's sad when one of our own refers to an AR-15 as an assault rifle.

You are unfairly putting words into the mouth of someone by making this false claim. No one speaking here in this thread said that the AR-15 is an assault rifle. An AR-15 was not even used in this incident.

Why would you say something so divisive and critical like this?

Last Edited:
The news media looking for facts?

You are being facetious right? :D

Well, but when it comes to guns, doesn't it seem that they are even more inaccurate and less factual than normal?

I saw one press report that said that he used an automatic weapon. Now we all know how inaccurate that term is too. That sort of language could easily make the public think that the shooter actually had a machine gun.

But maybe you are right. Perhaps this is just typical news media sensationalism and hype at work.

I had read one earlier local news report that said that he had initially used his shotgun to fire on police. That was the first clue I read that seemed contrary to what other media had been reporting. Then this follow-up article in USA Today was published yesterday.

All anti gun people say any firearm with more than a 5 rnd mag is a assault weapon. Key word here is weapon no longer a firearm. You throw a rock at someone said rock is an instrument of assault with intent to do bodily harm. Anything can be used as a assault weapon.

Assault rifle = pretty much any gun. I think that is the direction we're being steered. Ironic how the media likes to jump to conclusions in some instances, and wait for all the facts in others.

You are unfairly putting words into the mouth of someone by making this false claim. No one speaking here in this thread said that the AR-15 is an assault rifle. An AR-15 was not even used in this incident.

Why would you say something so divisive and critical like this?

I'm willing to listen. Could you explain what you meant by this?
It turns out that the shooter, James Boulware, did not use anything at all remotely like a AK-47 or AR-15. Yet, it was universally reported in the media that he used an Assault Rifle.

I'm willing to listen. Could you explain what you meant by this?

It is really quite obvious. I already explained this in my reply to Dbltap. Are you not paying attention to this discussion?

No one here called an AR-15 an Assault rifle in this thread. Yet, you bemoaned someone doing that, when it is clear that no one here ever said any such thing.

You are actually the one who needs to explain yourself. As you simply threw out a vague innuendo, neither referring to the specific person you were reprimanding, nor citing what statement in this discussion it was that you were criticizing either.

Why would you do that? What point was there in you so unfairly chastising a fellow gun owner?

It turns out that the shooter, James Boulware, did not use anything at all remotely like a AK-47 or AR-15. Yet, it was universally reported in the media that he used an Assault Rifle.

OK, so now you have provided a quote from my original post.

You need to go back and read this thread, and read it in its proper context. When Sgt Nambu used the term Assault Rifle, he was clearly paraphrasing words that an anti-gunner would typically be expected to use. He was not referring to guns as Assault Rifles. Likewise, if you look at my statements a little closer, you will notice this:

"Yet, it was universally reported in the media that he used an Assault Rifle."

I'm not using the word Assault Rifle in this sentence. I am reporting what the news media has been saying about the incident.

Do you dispute my claim? Was what I said inaccurate? No, I'm afraid that it is quite a FACTUAL statement.

You are taking my words totally out of their proper context, which I definitely resent you doing.

Let me use an example to further state my point. I think that we would all agree that the word N-I-G-G-E-R is an extremely offensive word. It is certainly language that only a racist would use in normal conversation.

I would never myself ever refer to an African American using the N word. Likewise, I would never refer to either of my AR rifles as being Assault Rifles when talking to anyone either

But if someone else is calling blacks the N word, are you saying that I cannot talk about their language? Discuss what they are saying? Or that when the news media uses the term Assault Rifles or Assault Weapon, I cannot talk about that either?

Your comment was most unfair and unwarranted, as you took my language totally out of its proper context.

Last Edited:
If you are referring to Lance's post he said nothing about the AR15 being an assault rifle. He did write that the media stated an assault rife was used. The left wing media has branded all AR15's as assault rifles. They can't stop now and have their agenda take a negative hit. Keep telling a lie and pretty soon it will be believed to be true.:rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top