JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I agree .45 svcks for self defense. And 9mm is just a glorified .22. And .40 is a compromise between .45 and 9 mm, having the worst features of both.

But that's all beside the point. Semiautos in any caliber are not to be trusted. They seduce you into buying them with the promise of many rounds. But they are treacherous. They are just waiting for an emergency to jam solid after the first shot. For self defense you want a nice reliable revolver.

What? You say your Glock has never jammed? That's because Glocks are especially devious. It's just lulling you into trusting it by functioning flawlessly. But if you take one into an actual emergency I'm quite sure it will turn on you. Probably by bouncing out of your hands and skittering over to your assailant and stopping right against his foot, butt presented for his convenience, the two-timing wh0re. (But not by jamming. After all. It's a Glock.)

Last Edited:
Andy, please answer a burning question for me
How does a wheellock compare to a flintlock vis-a-vis lock time?
Thanks, Rev :D
Lock time with a flintlock can be very fast if :
The flint is sharp and clean...
The pan isn't clogged with powder or damp powder...
The vent hole is clear...
The pan is centered and slightly below the vent hole...
The vent hole is large...

All of which sounds like a lot but if you have a good quality lock...it really is fast.
www.redaviscompany.com
Has some excellent locks and videos of them in action....worth a look

One day ...I'll have to get some videos of my guns , wheel lock included up and running on here...

A wheel lock requires that the action be "wound" , then have the pan charged...and when the trigger is pulled , the wheel spins and causes a spark to ignite the powder in the pan ....
It is much more slow than a flintlock.
Andy

I shot a well-tuned flintlock owned by our gun club's resident BP authority, and was surprised by how fast the lock time was.
Have never had the opportunity to shoot a wheellock.
Thanks.

I would like that. :)

BTW, My wife gave me a brass-framed Navy .44 as wedding present in '69. I shot it enough to refurbish in gunsmithing school. No parts replaced - originals built up with TIG and refitted. When we were poor it was our HD gun.

I hear ya 'bout being poor and using the gun you got...
At one time the only suitable handgun I had for home defense was my Colt 2nd Generation Dragoon....
I kept it loaded and 5 chambers capped....it was stored in a dry place and always went off when I shot it.

A properly loaded cap and ball revolver will still work for self defense...that said...
I much prefer some of my other guns for this use.
Andy

Lock time with a flintlock can be very fast if :
The flint is sharp and clean...
The pan isn't clogged with powder or damp powder...
The vent hole is clear...
The pan is centered and slightly below the vent hole...
The vent hole is large...

All of which sounds like a lot but if you have a good quality lock...it really is fast.
www.redaviscompany.com
Has some excellent locks and videos of them in action....worth a look

One day ...I'll have to get some videos of my guns , wheel lock included up and running on here...

A wheel lock requires that the action be "wound" , then have the pan charged...and when the trigger is pulled , the wheel spins and causes a spark to ignite the powder in the pan ....
It is much more slow than a flintlock.
Andy

Could Richard Pryor shoot a flintlock without worries of FLASHbacks?

I know that there are many diehards who refuse to accept the fact that the 45 ACP cartridge is now obsolete. This is especially true of many 1911 pistol fans.

But people need to face today's facts: the 45 ACP cartridge is over 100 years old, and is clearly now obsolete. We have better alternatives that are now available.

This video below does a good job of explaining many of the reason why you should not choose the 45 ACP as the cartridge for your pistol:

"But people need to face today's facts: the 45 ACP cartridge is over 100 years old, and is clearly now obsolete. We have better alternatives that are now available."

ABSOLUTELY! The .45 ACP dates from 1905! So that means it is 115 years old (give or take a month)! Had to have something going for it to last this long and have more makers making the 1911 now than 50 years ago! So what is "better"? Well how about the 9mm Luger (OK, OK, "Parabellum". Happy now?)? Well it is even OLDER than the .45 ACP! It came out three years earlier! So not only is it smaller, it is older! WOW! Better dump it! .38 Special? HOLY SMOKES! 1898!! Talk about old and obsolite! The guy in the video yaps about the "uber-reliable revolver". Really? Shot one much?! Been to a revolver only match? Rest my case. Yes, I have had revolvers jam on me with factory ammo. The .380 ACP as a viable self defense round? Why has the US military not heard this? OK, the guy was funny and babbled on and on and on and on and on and on and on endless, but much of his BS had holes you could drive a truck through. True, WHERE you hit someone is more important than what you hit them with, so why not pack a .22 short or .25 ACP? But if you can "shoot them in the head/eyes/etc.", like so many net losers (like the she-it Rap who at least can shoot off his mouth constantly here) claim they will do when being attacked, but can't hit a 2 foot x 2 foot target at 10 feet under the "pressure" of being watched at the range, why NOT use a .45 ACP? Hey, use what YOU are happy with and let the rest of us poor benighted pistol shooters use what we like. That way the .45 shooters are happy, and really, they don't care what you use. Only non-45 ACP users seem concerned about what .45 ACP shooters use.

Last Edited:
My MT husband's favorite handgun caliber was always in a '45'.

It still IS and he plans on using it as long as he is able to as he advances in age.

He LOVED his former 45 Long Colt s/a revolvers.

He had some custom made and standard factory s/a revolvers in various brands and calibers over the years and long before we ever met too.

He had many d/a revolvers in various calibers.

He loved his other former 45acp semi automatic pistols too! Custom and standard factory ones.

I saw a bunch of them but not all of them and I think (99% sure.) that he had a 454 Casull too. He is asleep now so I can't ask him.

He conceals and open carries his present 45acp semi automatic pistols. He has a pair of matching ones.

I encouraged him to get a small pocket gun recently (22lr) for his exercise time too.
He has owned many calibers in handguns and in rifles. Many gauges in shotguns too. He does not own a shotgun now.

I never owned a 45acp pistol. (I did own a sweet 9mm Glock and 2 sweet S&W 22lr pistols - Models 22a and a 41. I have only owned, past tense, 3 semi automatic pistols.)

I did own a SWEET tack driving Ruger Blackhawk s/a revolver in 45Long Colt. I put down s/a revolver because some people don't own or know much about s/a revolvers.

I do not think that the '45' CALIBER is obsolete or old fashioned.

I don't think that the 44Magnum and 44Special are obsolete.

I don't think that the 357Magnum or 38Special or Plus P are obsolete.

I don't think that a 9mm or 22lr or 22wmr are obsolete.

I think that if you are trying to STOP a bad man aka criminal from hurting or murdering you or your family - it helps to have some type of gun in ANY caliber to stop the perp.

And I think that a larger caliber - larger cartridge would help do this but if all you have is a smaller handgun in ANY type of style - use what you have on hand.

I think that a LARGER caliber handgun is much better for woods/wilderness protection but if you really get down to it - a good RIFLE that you can shoot well outweighs ANY type of handgun in the woods/wilderness when it comes to a large predator.

My opinion and NO offense to any person here.

SHOT PLACEMENT is key and even though some people scoff at some calibers - if push came to shove - I would take shot placement DEFENSIVE SHOOTING over some 'man or woman' who never shot a lot OR practiced on a REGULAR BASIS (Good skills - good gun safety measures.) over some person who may or may not shoot a larger or smaller caliber handgun in any brand or model while they SPRAY THEIR SHOTS ALL OVER KINGDOM COME but rarely or NEVER HIT THEIR DANG TARGET!

My late husband only owned a few guns in his entire life and in only 2 calibers - 22lr and 357Magnum. D/A revolver, semi automatic pistol and a few rifles.

ADDED more:

My late husband would be 74 years old now but he barely made it past 56 years old.

My MT husband and I are senior citizens. I am 69 years old so maybe some younger people think that we were or are old fashioned when it comes to some gun calibers - beats me! Grin. Plus I was in my late 40's before I started to buy and shoot MY own guns. RKBA always and for self defense reasons other than using my late husband's 'house gun' as I called the one d/a revolver that I picked out of his few guns.

Old Lady Cate
PS:

I no longer shoot, carry or own any handguns but handgun shooting was what I did the most OVER any other type of gun for most of my high volume shooting days from the late 90's and on. My former handguns were in 22lr only, 22lr/22wmr, 9mm, 357Magmum, 38Special and Plus P, 44Magnum/44Special, and 45Long Colt.

I have owned and shot RF rifles (22lr and 22wmr), several pistol caliber rifles and one main 30-30 CF rifle too. I shot and shared some other RF and CF rifles and handguns with my MT husband too. I shoot a CZ bolt action 22lr rifle now. I never owned a shotgun.

I may get a new rifle too. Keep the gun business going!

Typos and added more!

Last Edited:
if you like 9's shoot them... personally i don't and won't... only advantage is more ammo stored in less space... the trend of ammo makers to push lighter bullets in the 45 only make the 9 and 40 look better... I'll gladly take a 45acp with flat point 230g cast over any hi-tec 9 load out there... the only real bottom line for a defensive pistol is hit what you are shooting at, every time...

^^^

My MT husband reloads and casts bullets too. (Since the early 70's when it comes to reloading.)

He has a bit of factory 45acp ammunition too.

He reloaded 100 rounds of 45acp over the weekend.

Cate

sorry, 380/45=8.44 -- that's way more than 3x the size.
4A5FAF93-F7A4-462B-B0DC-6AA56629C029.jpeg

It's like 1.27 times bigger if ya ask me!

That chart is like comparing .45ACP with an ex: short, fat, couldn't go the distance, makes a big impact, but doesn't really believe in penetration...:s0113:

sorry, 380/45=8.44 -- that's way more than 3x the size.
Actually, .45/.380=1.184210526315789, making the .45 ACP one and eighteen hundredths times the size of the .380 ACP, mathematically speaking. But as @Flymph shows, in the semiauto cartridge world, it's a 2X difference. However, neither the .40 ACP nor 10mm are shown (being identical diameter), so I'll stick with my 3x the size statement, in consideration of adding the .40 to the chart :s0092:

Sorry, I was bored because GunBroker is currently down...

Last Edited:
Actually, .45/.380=1.184210526315789, making the .45 ACP one and eighteen hundredths times the size of the .380 ACP, mathematically speaking. But as @Flymph shows, in the semiauto cartridge world, it's a 2X difference. However, neither the .40 ACP nor 10mm are shown (being identical diameter), so this I'll stick with my 3x the size statement, in consideration of adding the .40 to the chart :s0092:

Sorry, I was bored because GunBroker is currently down...
All cool by me yo!

The chart does make me consider more 10mm and .357 sig...

Last Edited:
Might be worth revisiting Ellifritz's study on handgun caliber effectiveness in shootings.

Take a look at it. In the study the only big difference is the % of poeple who were not incapacitated. For the mouse caliber guns it's a higher % not incapacitated compared to all larger calibers starting with .380. All the larger caliber guns are pretty much the same for % incapacitated as well as the other parameters.

Also even though the mouse caliber guns have a high % not incapacitated, here is an example of a $47 pawn shop 22lr revolver incapacitating 3 poeple and wounding a fourth (3 hits - resulting in incapacitation, 1 ricochet - resulting in a wound, 1 stopped by bullet proof glass, 1 miss).

69850114-F8DC-477F-AAEB-D0C4BB4BA023.jpeg

Last Edited:
Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads