JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I prefer to have my 45 but only carry it for a sidearm when I don't need to keep it concealed. I subscribe to the mass and energy transfer theory since 90 something percent of defense shootings are going to be point blank range. My personal requirement is something that doesn't print even when I'm wearing a t-shirt but big enough to get my mitts around and fast to present. Putting rounds on target and continuing until the threat is no longer a threat is what's important. So, my Bersa Thunder 380 is usually what ends up going with me until it gets replaced with a better choice.

Do I want to get hit by a Mack truck? No, but I don't want to get hit by a Honda Civic either.

I see I stirred up a snowflake. It's not that important to me, 9mm and .45 are both underpowered peashooters. The 9mm at super sonic speeds (yes, not much faster than the .45) performs a little more reliably with JHPs.
You are likely referring to JHP in a 1911, a gun designed before JHP became a thing. With the modern guns like the RP9 vs the RP45, both modern designs with JHP a major consideration, I think your reliability argument goes away. Don't want to use the Remington Plastic, try G17 and G21 or XD9 and XD45.

Last Edited:
You are likely referring to JHP in a 1911, a gun designed before JHP became a thing. With the modern guns like the RP9 vs the RP45, both modern designs with JHP a major consideration, I think your reliability argument goes away. Don't want to use the Remington Plastic, try G17 and G21 or XD9 and XD45.

Nope. I was referring to sub sonic speeds being less reliable for JHP expansion.

Interesting that this thread is still going. Personally I think the thread title was just idiotic click-bait intended to get people stirred up. Clearly it worked very well.

I didn't mean to come across quite as condescending as that sounded. I didn't read through all 16 pages, so I suspect anything I could say has already been said.

The video made some reasonable points, but the title and original post seemed designed solely to PO those who like the old forty-five.

I do have one truly short 2.5" barrel on my Charter Arms Pitbull in 45 ACP. I have a XD45 SC Mod 2 with a 3.3" barrel, XDS45 with a 3.3" barrel, S&W Shield with a 3.3" barrel and a RIA Officer's Model 1911 with a 3.5" barrel. My only 'normal' length is 5" on my Ruger 1911. I would say most of my 45's are short barreled for carry
Exactly, if the 45 is outdated and obsolete, then so is the 9. Most all pistol cartridges do well from a 5 inch barrel. While brilliant muzzle flash may impress a mentally challenged neophyte, it is only a sign of wasted energy. I recall a study with 38 special where 100 fps was lost for every inch removed from a barrel, iirc they started with a six inch barrel. I would expect similar losses from other calibers. While some may love a "snubby", I have never had much use for them, not very accurate for me. So after owning several and being dissatisfied, I gave up on them.
What the heck does "works better" mean anyway?

btw the 30 luger and the 9 mm were both offered in the P08, in fact sig sauer offered the 220 in european models in 30 luger. The reason for that being, civilians couldnt own guns in " military" calibers.
Actually a pretty cool little round, speedy with low recoil. Kinda surprised it hasnt had a resurgence as a "pocket pistol" round.

My AIWB EDC maximizes the .45 ACP's performance. Even a 5" barrel yields sub par performance to this bad boy.

The 7" AMT Hardballer Longslide.

AMT Longslide 45 - 003.JPG

AMT Longslide 45 - 005.JPG

AMT Longslide 45 - 007.JPG

Do all the people killed by the .45 ACP know that it wasn't powerful enough to do the job? Especially interested in what the Maori tribesmen have to say about this.

My grandfather was an Infantryman and a NCO (PVT to 1SG from 1942-1945) He turned in his issued M-1 Garand when he made SGT and was issued a Thompson M1A1 along with his Ithaca made 1911 (which I have). He never told me how many Germans he killed. Only that he did. But he spoke at length about his "Chopper". He told me "There was nothing better at hosing down Krauts than a Thompson". He could clear a farmhouse and kill the guys behind a wall. When he was told he'd be better off with a M-1 Carbine he laughed at the Supply SGT. I guess all those dead Germans killed by a .45 round are mad in hell they were killed by on "obsolete round" and want a do-over!

Lastly, to that fool in the video. My 1767 Rev War Brown Bess in .75 Cal is an" obsolete round" too. Nobody would be willing to stand downrange and test that theory!

Lastly, to that fool in the video. My 1767 Rev War Brown Bess in .75 Cal is an" obsolete round" too. Nobody would be willing to stand downrange and test that theory!

i've always said this to anyone who debates any caliber vs caliber. Go stand down range and report back how ineffective it is.

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top