JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I do have one truly short 2.5" barrel on my Charter Arms Pitbull in 45 ACP. I have a XD45 SC Mod 2 with a 3.3" barrel, XDS45 with a 3.3" barrel, S&W Shield with a 3.3" barrel and a RIA Officer's Model 1911 with a 3.5" barrel. My only 'normal' length is 5" on my Ruger 1911. I would say most of my 45's are short barreled for carry

I know that there are many diehards who refuse to accept the fact that the 45 ACP cartridge is now obsolete. This is especially true of many 1911 pistol fans.

But people need to face today's facts: the 45 ACP cartridge is over 100 years old, and is clearly now obsolete. We have better alternatives that are now available.

This video below does a good job of explaining many of the reason why you should not choose the 45 ACP as the cartridge for your pistol:

Oh brother Not another 45 is dead thread. facepalm.gif

My point is that the 9mm works better out of shorter barrels better. Which suggests maybe it was designed for shorter barreled pistols.
Suggestions? The 9mm parabellum round was designed as a larger caliber replacement for the p00 Luger. There is no maybe about it. The gun intended for the round emerged as the P08 Luger in 1908. Standard barrel length being 4.7" although there are shorter and longer variants.

Exactly, if the 45 is outdated and obsolete, then so is the 9. Most all pistol cartridges do well from a 5 inch barrel. While brilliant muzzle flash may impress a mentally challenged neophyte, it is only a sign of wasted energy. I recall a study with 38 special where 100 fps was lost for every inch removed from a barrel, iirc they started with a six inch barrel. I would expect similar losses from other calibers. While some may love a "snubby", I have never had much use for them, not very accurate for me. So after owning several and being dissatisfied, I gave up on them.
What the heck does "works better" mean anyway?

btw the 30 luger and the 9 mm were both offered in the P08, in fact sig sauer offered the 220 in european models in 30 luger. The reason for that being, civilians couldnt own guns in " military" calibers.
Actually a pretty cool little round, speedy with low recoil. Kinda surprised it hasnt had a resurgence as a "pocket pistol" round.

Last Edited:
If you think large diameter slow bullets can't stop a threat you better let all of the dangerous game hunters know they should switch to a small diameter lighter bullet :p

I carry a single stack 9mm because it's what I can tolerate.

Why do individuals compare a 230g 45 bullet to a 124 g 9mm. They are comparing the heaviest 45 bullet to a medium weight 9mm. A true comparison is a 230g 45 to a 147g 9mm or a 200/185g 45 to a 124g 9mm
To me this is more of comparison.

Using shorter barrels the velocities from an average 9mm load is super sonic, unless you're talking 147gr. The average velocities from a short barrel 45 are sub sonic. Unless you're talking about really light and fast loads or .45super.
This suggests what? The sound will reach you either before or after your atomized brains are flying out of your skull, like water out of a plant mister?

9mm barely reaches "supersonic" from a 4" barrel ( 1126fps) don't believe everything ammunition makers tell you. I trust my speer or lee manual for honest numbers.

but who cares, why is this so important to you? A 36 caliber round ball will do the trick as well, dead is dead.

Last Edited:
In my new book "The Secret History of the 9mm" I will examine how the 9 mm was designed by men, for men who enjoy the company of men. Look for it on Amazon soon!

I know that there are many diehards who refuse to accept the fact that the 45 ACP cartridge is now obsolete. This is especially true of many 1911 pistol fans.

But people need to face today's facts: the 45 ACP cartridge is over 100 years old, and is clearly now obsolete. We have better alternatives that are now available.

This video below does a good job of explaining many of the reason why you should not choose the 45 ACP as the cartridge for your pistol:

And when all magazines are limited to 10 or less I would rather have 45 than others.

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads