JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
You know how the drunk driver always survives the crash that should have killed them, because all the alchohol in their system makes them loosey goosey. Same thing with Russians.
Well, its a good thing Russians are known for being sober 24/7 and never touching the vodka. :eek:

While it is true that the .45acp probably hasnt undergone the "product improvement" remake of the 9mmP, it has never actually needed to... like the guy said, "I'd rather shoot a bullet that starts out as a .45, than one which has to expand to be .45".. or something like that. I like the .40S&W, for which I handload, and carry the .45acp in a Glock 21 (also my handloads as a rule). Sure the 9mmP will and has killed millions probably.... spouting from a bullet hose sub gun or a single shot to the back of the head... That said, Ive always liked packing a BHP over the 1911, and Ive carried both regularly in my life.:)

IMO an apples to apples comparison to me would be a G30S vs a G26, i own both, both are super similar in size, similar in weight, and both carry 10 rounds, and i have both loaded with what i consider to be very stout rounds, the bottom line is that the 45 is ballistically superior, the 26 imo has zero advantage over it except a minimal amount of width and weight, this is some guys opinion, nothing more, if he is going to do something like this he needs to provide examples and statistics, if i were going to get in a gunfight and had to chose choose between the 2 id grab my g30s.

The .45acp isn't obsolete nor even a poor choice. .45acp is a very good choice.
I carry a .40 most of the time, and sometimes a 9mm. However, I would feel totally fine if my choices were only the .45acp. In fact sometimes the .45acp is the VERY BEST choice, such as when I visit mag-neutered states, the .45acp is my choice. Either a 1911 or Sig P220.

There's at least 2 brands of .45acp that expand to an inch diameter with 12-18" penetration on the Lucky Gunner test. Find anything close on the 9 or .40... can't do it. https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#45ACP

The practical effective performance of these 3 calibers probably is nearly the same. Therefore the .45acp suffers from higher cost and lower capacity. Cost issue is trivial. And capacity issue is of psychological importance but rarely/never comes into play for a civilian.

HK USP 45 v 9mm: 12+1 v. 15+1
Glock 17 v. Glock 21: 17+1 v. 13+1
Sig P220 v. Sig P226: 8+1 v. 15+1
XDs 45 v. 9mm: 5+1 v. 7+1.
Compact 1911: 7+1
Compact any single stack 9mm: ~ 6/7/8+1

And so forth.
If you can find any news stories or videos of a civilian needing to fire more than 10 rounds in self defense, please link it. I doubt there's any or many. I'm all in favor of maximum capacity for maximum advantage, but we're focusing on the super extremes here of needing self defense, AND needing to expend extreme numbers of rounds. There's not likely going to be a realistic scenerio of needing those higher numbers of rounds in excess of what most .45 pistols carry.

A well-trained shooter with a .45acp (aka flying ashtray) and a few spare mags would be in very good shape in any real world self defense shooting.

I'll stick with the smaller calibers (9 and 40) for cost and capacity, but the advantages are minor. The .45acp will get the job done very well if pressed into duty. I'd feel totally fine carrying only a .45acp.

Pistol_Round_Terminal_Ballistics.jpg

DSC_8138 r.jpg

Last Edited:
"But people need to face today's facts: the 45 ACP cartridge is over 100 years old, and is clearly now obsolete. We have better alternatives that are now available."

The 9mm came out in 1901. Based on the above statement isn't it in the same league as the .45acp then? Shouldn't we all be carrying .40 S&W, .357 Sig, or .45 GAP? If WA passes the mag ban I will be retiring the G23 as my CCW and using my XD45C. If I can only carry 10 rounds, then they will be .45's

Did any one else find this hard to watch with all the hand waving & eye rolling. I was expecting him to start talking like a Valley girl. He must have small hands to prefer a 380 ACP over a 45 ACP. He didn't even mention the things that are important to me when considering a carry gun. Controlling the round (hitting and staying on target) so all magnums are out. If you hit a non combatant, be seeing you behind bars. I don't want over penetration and excessive recoil either. He talked about cost to practice so that rules out 10mm - 357 SIG - 38 super. So that leaves 45 ACP, 40 S&W, 9mm, 38 Special, 380 ACP, 32 ACP, 25 ACP. He talked about round count so out goes 38spl- 380 ACP, 32 ACP, 25 ACP and all revolvers; 8 is more then 6 by my math. I know 380's can hold 10 rounds but 45 trumps 380 any day. So that leaves us with 45 ACP, 40 S&W, 9mm; all good rounds but the 45 has less felt recoil then the 40. So 45 ACP vs 9mm. Many modern 45's today hold 12 to 14 rounds compared to 17 rounds of 9mm's. Now lets think about our youth. When my dad told me to go get a switch for a spanking I always picked a small limb not a big branch. The 45 is for me as well. Also check out this link The Box O' Truth #26 - Little Guns vs. The Box O' Truth - The Box O' Truth

Last Edited:
I've tried to watch the YankeeMarshall a few times. He just bloviates. Doesn't shoot guns, just gabs. Very opinionated. If you read the comments, apparently some people said he has started (don't know, don't care) carrying the .45acp... which would be ironic.

Seriously, gents, we are so-oooo spoiled here in The USA!
Russian civilians, for instance, only have access to non-lethal handguns, so they would be more than happy to have either Ruger LCR in .22Lr, Taurus in .380 or such.
I, personally, carry Glock 26. However, there is no "magic bullet".
It is all about the right placement.
Moreover, nobody likes to be punch with office stapler, but everyone laughs about .22Lr...

"But people need to face today's facts: the 45 ACP cartridge is over 100 years old, and is clearly now obsolete. We have better alternatives that are now available."

The 9mm came out in 1901. Based on the above statement isn't it in the same league as the .45acp then? Shouldn't we all be carrying .40 S&W, .357 Sig, or .45 GAP? If WA passes the mag ban I will be retiring the G23 as my CCW and using my XD45C. If I can only carry 10 rounds, then they will be .45's

Yep, if the mag ban passes, the M&P 40 will stay home and I'll carry the M&P 45.

I'm reminded of a .45 when I go to the bathroom. It might be short, fat and slow but it gets the job done.

Bullet technology in recent years has more or less negated the 9mm v 45 ACP argument. At least for me...

Both calibers have their purpose. I've carried both and will continue to carry both calibers as particular situations dictate. Both rounds are more than capable of stopping a threat with proper shot placement and protecting me and mine.

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top