JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Says 40 as it gives its lunch money to 10mm following a horrific wedgie
Now a better caliber war, but we need to throw 357 Sig in the mix too. Let's see the smallest gun I have that is chambered for any one of those three is my G-33. If anyone cares to test like posts 315 and 316 recommend, even wearing armor and a plate, it's a accurate gun. Stand still while I aim at your head.

Truly I own a G-29 as my smallest 10MM, and I just don't like carrying Mr. Stubby, too bulky in all the wrong places. I's rather carry my G-20, but it is not anything for me to write home about. My best 10 is a EAA Witness, but should you fall into deep water that boat anchor will take you to the bottom!. I am most comfortable with a XDM10, but it is a full size gun, hard to carry IWB for me.

So I want usually a 40. Better to me as a compromise to all others. Better compromise than a 9, better compromise than a 45, better compromise than a 10, sadly a better compromise than a 357 Sig (Tear jerker that one)

The 40 is not perfect, just the best compromise for me, and I am willing to compromise. You might be a no compromise individual, that's okay, you don't have to be smart, handsome and naturally strike a heroic pose like I do. You don't have to.

20 grains of 2F and a .375 round ball if you like "Wild Bill"...
25 grains of 2F and a .454 round ball if you like John Wesley Hardin...
Just kidding here...

Anything will work...from .22LR on up...
The trick is to find what works for you....and not get all caught up in what works for someone else.
Andy

Why the FBI & Police Went Back. "The reality is there is such a minute difference in the terminal performance between the 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP, that the interface between the shooter and the handgun, ammunition capacity and shot placement (accuracy) matter more. It would seem it has taken bullet engineers about 30 years to level the playing field between these cartridges, and it has taken the FBI about the same amount of time to realize the obvious."

Why the FBI & Police Went Back. "The reality is there is such a minute difference in the terminal performance between the 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP, that the interface between the shooter and the handgun, ammunition capacity and shot placement (accuracy) matter more. It would seem it has taken bullet engineers about 30 years to level the playing field between these cartridges, and it has taken the FBI about the same amount of time to realize the obvious."

Are you implying, sir, that shot placement is paramount with a pistol? Indeed, a manly cartridge would kil instantly even if fired in the general direction!

Caliber debates are click bait. IMHO. 9 mm vs 45.:rolleyes: You are just as dead by a 9mm, .45, A-10 Warthog's GAU-8 Avenger, or a .22 short.

Yeah, but a 9mm won't make the bad guy fly through the air several feet before crashing through a plate glass window like a 45 ACP does. What's the fun in that?

Caliber debates are click bait. IMHO. 9 mm vs 45.:rolleyes: You are just as dead by a 9mm, .45, or an A-10's GAU-8 Avenger, or a .22 short.

There are different kinds of clickbait. There's the ugly kind where you get just enough of a headline that you want to know the rest but the story isn't really something you are all that interested in. This is annoying and manipulative and I refuse to play.

Then there are the age old arguments that can be kind of fun, or funny, and everyone knows going in what is going to be said but we want to regardless -- like an old favorite song, it feels good to hear it all again. The .45 v 9 debate fits in this category. It's like that ratty pair of jeans that's the most comfortable thing you own so you wear it more often and to more places than you really should. It's good for the soul.

As for the debate itself, I tend to like 45s more, but not for any scientific reason (and actually don't even own one presently), but because it seems softer and gentler, and is thus more fun to shoot. The report is a thud while the 9mm has a higher pitch. The recoil on the 45 is kind, while the 9 is more of a whipcrack. Of course, if you reload, you can you tune your ammo in either direction for both to get more of whatever feels good to you.

In other words, the FBI needed a gun that a limp-wristed cheese-dick could sorta shoot if you gave them enough bullets.

There are different kinds of clickbait. There's the ugly kind where you get just enough of a headline that you want to know the rest but the story isn't really something you are all that interested in. This is annoying and manipulative and I refuse to play.

Then there are the age old arguments that can be kind of fun, or funny, and everyone knows going in what is going to be said but we want to regardless -- like an old favorite song, it feels good to hear it all again. The .45 v 9 debate fits in this category. It's like that ratty pair of jeans that's the most comfortable thing you own so you wear it more often and to more places than you really should. It's good for the soul.

As for the debate itself, I tend to like 45s more, but not for any scientific reason (and actually don't even own one presently), but because it seems softer and gentler, and is thus more fun to shoot. The report is a thud while the 9mm has a higher pitch. The recoil on the 45 is kind, while the 9 is more of a whipcrack. Of course, if you reload, you can you tune your ammo in either direction for both to get more of whatever feels good to you.

I agree, caliber wars don't upset me either. I don't have a dog in the fight because I like them all. It can be a fun discussion when it's kept good-natured.

I don't particularly care for the guy in the video in the original post either, but he did make a few logical points. Mostly what I got from it is that the .45acp is hampered by the fact that it's a low pressure, low velocity round, and it's larger diameter limits magazine capacity (unless you have huge hands and like the large frame Glock).

Doesn't bother me. I still like the .45, and the 1911, but I'm not a serious operator. I mostly just shoot for fun.
Sometimes I forget that the cost difference of the ammo makes a difference to some people. It doesn't to me, not because I'm rich (quite the opposite), but because I cast and reload. It costs virtually the same for me to shoot anything from .380 up to .45 Colt.

Regarding the 1911, I find it fascinating that we argue over how good, bad, or obsolete it may be. That in itself is testament to the genius of the design. At the time it was first designed and adopted, the Model T Ford was brand new state-of-the-art, and the Wright brothers were playing around with their primitive flying machines. The 1911 pistol really should have been obsolete decades ago. The fact that it's even a discussion proves its worth.

I didn't mean to come across quite as condescending as that sounded. I didn't read through all 16 pages, so I suspect anything I could say has already been said.

The video made some reasonable points, but the title and original post seemed designed solely to PO those who like the old forty-five.

When you make people angry, you make them think.

Self defense is too important to rely on last year's knowledge. And new knowledge must be proven to be trusted.

Lots of great pics and memes.

This thread has also shown me new ways to insult other peoples choices in firearms.

I've got a question for those that look down their noses at the old .45 automatic: Is it the "wrong choice" in a defensive handgun, or just not the "very best choice"?

What I saw in the video was an explanation of why he thought the .45 wasn't the best in this day and age, but not necessarily wrong. I can understand that.

What I got out of the original post, on the other hand, was some kind of "friends don't let friends carry forty-fives" nonsense, which is just silly.

Are there better choices and newer technology to be had nowadays? I have no doubt. If I was in need of a self defense handgun though, and all I had available was my grandfather's Colt Government Model and a couple magazines full of GI ball ammo, I wouldn't feel under-gunned.

The best cartridge for a self defense handgun is......The One you LIKE!

The ALL sick when compared to a 30-30.

The most important factor in a handgun gunfight is Bullet Placement under stress.

Accuracy comes from practice, and you will practice the most, with a gun you like.

I've got a question for those that look down their noses at the old .45 automatic: Is it the "wrong choice" in a defensive handgun, or just not the "very best choice"?

What I saw in the video was an explanation of why he thought the .45 wasn't the best in this day and age, but not necessarily wrong. I can understand that.

What I got out of the original post, on the other hand, was some kind of "friends don't let friends carry forty-fives" nonsense, which is just silly.

Are there better choices and newer technology to be had nowadays? I have no doubt. If I was in need of a self defense handgun though, and all I had available was my grandfather's Colt Government Model and a couple magazines full of GI ball ammo, I wouldn't feel under-gunned.

See, what I don't get, is that every popular defensive pistol cartridge since 1908 was designed due to lessons learned with blood and death when smaller pistol calibers failed. Whether its Maoris or the 1986 FBI shootout, cartridges like 45 ACP, 10mm, 40 S&W, and 357 SIG were ALL developed because good people died and we decided we needed more gun.

I don't view bullet technology as proof that 9mm is the best choice, I view it as now 9mm is a choice when for me in the past, it was not.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads