JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I only have six 45 ACP's but I have seven 40 S&W's, well nine if you count conversion barrels, so I do like 40 better. I do carry 40 EDC, but I could carry 45 if I wanted, and did for a long time. I personally seem to shoot 40 better than 9 MM or 45. 357 Sig is close as is 10 MM, but 40 seems best. Therefore it is what I like. Most of my guns are 'inexpensive' so a truly hand crafted gun would skew my results I'm sure. My 629, EAA Witness Elite 10 MM are the only two $800 guns I own and I had a Para that was in that category (Gave to Son #2). I am not planning on conceal carrying either of my two XDM 10's, even if I do like them. Nope, 40 for me.

I know that there are many diehards who refuse to accept the fact that the 45 ACP cartridge is now obsolete. This is especially true of many 1911 pistol fans.

But people need to face today's facts: the 45 ACP cartridge is over 100 years old, and is clearly now obsolete. We have better alternatives that are now available.

This video below does a good job of explaining many of the reason why you should not choose the 45 ACP as the cartridge for your pistol:

I do not trust anything that moron says.

Well, I have made the move to 40, I may try to find a 1911 in 40 as I like 1911's but 40 makes me happiest as a round, though my Taurus PT-111's seem to be good 9MM platforms, I might like a PT-140.
Oh I am not selling or trading my 45's. Too bad there don't seem to be any new releases of 357 Sig pistols.

Wow! I must have missed the memo. On what date did the .45ACP stop penetrating clothing and bodies? Too bad all those casualties from the previous 100 years didn't know that all they had to do was wait for the .45ACP to become obsolete and they'd be unharmed. It's really too bad that all those 1911's out there are now paperweights.

I am a big time fan of the 1911 in .45 of course. My favorite carry. After having watched his video I would have to say I agree with everything he said. I have long said I do know there is "better" choices but I like my .45's. I have often said if they ever invented a Phazer we could buy I would probably still be carrying one of my 1911's. I have become quite enamored of the 10mm round in one of my PCC's and I am tempted to get a 1911 in this caliber now too to go with it though.

In some thread, I thought this one, somebody asked if there was a difference in recoil between 40 and 45. I thought to take my 45 and 40 Shields out to test that theory. But I did not think about the ammo till I got there. In the 45 I had some serious and hot 200 Grain Gold Dots in Underwood ammo. For the 40 I had milder, but new LAX 165 grain JHP. The 45 really woke me up, a tighter grip helped on the rest of the rounds. 40 was a pussycat after that.
I do intend to get two sets of more comparable ammo, like Hot Underwood vs. hot Underwood and mild Winchester white box vs. mild Winchester white box. to get a more scientific answer.

In some thread, I thought this one, somebody asked if there was a difference in recoil between 40 and 45. I thought to take my 45 and 40 Shields out to test that theory. But I did not think about the ammo till I got there. In the 45 I had some serious and hot 200 Grain Gold Dots in Underwood ammo. For the 40 I had milder, but new LAX 165 grain JHP. The 45 really woke me up, a tighter grip helped on the rest of the rounds. 40 was a pussycat after that.
I do intend to get two sets of more comparable ammo, like Hot Underwood vs. hot Underwood and mild Winchester white box vs. mild Winchester white box. to get a more scientific answer.
I don't think you should bother doing another test. What it sounds like is you hit the Range with carry loads and that is what you should be comparing. IMO

But then I think this is a truly Silly thread.

Sorry to hear that. Your'e missing out on the apex of automotive engineering. Fuel injection and precise ignition control, cooling etc have made high HP cars completely streetable. I can drive all day in 100+ degree bumper to bumper traffic all day with no overheating or anything weird happening and still set off every alarm in the grocery store parking lot on my way to the race track and back home again. High insurance costs for a ~50 year year old car? I dont think so.

So true. My '71 GTO had a bored & blueprinted ram air 455 H.O. that produced over 500 foot lbs of torque in the late 70's to mid 1980's on pump gas, it was a lot of fun to drive on the street but burning up tires, vapor lock and over-heating were a reality. Today, my mild street rod is an '07 regular cab short box 5.7L Toyota Tundra, 6 speed automatic, 2WD with a 4.30 gear. The ECU has been tuned, and the speed governor removed. I have not uncorked the exhaust yet, so it's only producing a little over 400 hp & 400 torque. This truck almost as fun to drive on the street as my old GTO, but without all of the reliability issues vintage muscle cars usually had and insurance is cheap.

IMG_1951 (2).JPG

High capacity Glock 20, 34 and 41 are my favorite pistols, and today's ammunition makes them accurate & reliable.

Last Edited:
I do not trust anything that moron says.

Didn't clik... I read the quotes, laughed so hard I fell out of my chair, and called it good. It's nice that some of the "one shot one kill" .45ACP fanboys got some confirmation bias love tho. Personally, I think if one doesn't carry a .45LC (circa 1872 - LOL), and have it loaded to the gills with modern powder, one is a total puss! BTW, 9mm is circa 1902... a 120yr old cartridge!!!

But then I think this is a truly Silly thread.

Xtremely so!!!!! LMAO, ROFL

So true. My '71 GTO had a bored & blueprinted ram air 455 H.O. that produced over 500 foot lbs of torque in the late 70's to mid 1980's on pump gas, it was a lot of fun to drive on the street but burning up tires, vapor lock and over-heating were a reality. Today, my mild street rod is an '07 regular cab short box 5.7L Toyota Tundra, 6 speed automatic, 2WD with a 4.30 gear. The ECU has been tuned, and the speed governor removed. I have not uncorked the exhaust yet, so it's only producing a little over 400 hp & 400 torque. This truck almost as fun to drive on the street as my old GTO, but without all of the reliability issues vintage muscle cars usually had and insurance is cheap.

High capacity Glock 20, 34 and 41 are my favorite pistols, and today's ammunition makes them accurate & reliable.

Ive got a Holley HP sequential fuel injection in my '71 Camaro on a fresh 650 HP 427. I drive it all the time in stop and go Charlotte freeway traffic when its 90 degrees plus. Stays rock solid at 190 degrees all day. 5 speed manual with 4.10 gears out back it hums along at 3000 RPM at 80 MPH no problem.

Sweet! When did Holley introduce their first injection system, I think I remember hearing about it around '82. I was running a Holley Economaster on my H.O., it was more reliable than the Rochester.

What have you done as far as brakes and suspension?

Strange 4 piston disks in back. Factory calipers in front. Hydroboost hydraulic booster driven off the power steering pump. Stops on a dime every time and hydroboost doesnt care how big the cam is. Viking coilovers in front and 4 link suspension on back on a Dana 60 with large-ish tires. Single adjustable coil overs in back.

Got it jacked up in the air right now. Oil pan rides about 2.5" off the road and I smacked it on the road the other day and popped a seam. I'll be welding it up Sunday . I drive the hell out of this thing.

ET2UqI.jpg

Plzs1X.jpg

T3jQWB.jpg

qEmTsv.jpg

G2drdY.jpg

F0Ahc4.jpg

My 45 cal PCC is obsolete with it's suppressor and 16 round mag? News to me. That sucker kicks serious butt. It would be one of my two primary choices for HD.

First time passengers must need an underwear change when it's over... you've made it pretty much bullet proof haven't you.

I do wish I had a better rear suspension on mine, an IRS or 4 link would help me corner faster & smoother. I am currently making due by mounting the leaf springs under the axle, adding a rear sway bar and air bag bump stops. At 5000 pounds, it handles surprisingly well with this suspension change and better tires.
IMG_7021 (3).JPG

First time passengers must need an underwear change when it's over... you've made it pretty much bullet proof haven't you.

I do wish I had a better rear suspension on mine, an IRS or 4 link would help me corner faster & smoother. I am currently making due by mounting the leaf springs under the axle, adding a rear sway bar and air bag bump stops. At 5000 pounds, it handles surprisingly well with this suspension change and better tires.

Bulletproof might be a bit of an understatement. Callies Compstar steel crank with Molnar rods and racetec 11:1 slugs . AFR 265 heads with girdles , Comp gold rockers, Luntati hydraulic roller 240/245 @.050" with race hydraulic rollers, New standard bore ZZ454 Gen6 + 4 bolt ARP studded block , 23 lb billet steel flywheel, dual disc mcleod clutch, Richmond S/S 5 speed overdrive, Strange driveshaft with billet 1350 yokes . Full mandrel bent 3" exhaust all the way back with X pipe and large body dynomax superturbos. Water and methanol injection. Hagerty insurance made me take the nitrous off damn them although without the Nitrous plate I can put an air cleaner on it. . Its a street car and its brutal but has great road manners. Gets about 11 MPG thanks to the Holley injection . Otherwise it'd be about 6 MPG. Ive put about 1500 miles on it in the last month and havent touched the engine other than one injection program tweak from the laptop.. Runs like a top.

Oh yeah 45 ACP is a great cartridge :).

I forgot to mention, but I did buy a new PT-140 G2C and shot it the other day too. eleven rounds of Underwood 150 Grain JHP (I think Nosler Bullets), and forty 165 Grain JHP of new LAX Ammo. I shot at a 8x12" plate, all went "bang" and all went "Ping". I need to shoot it more and will next week, some different Underwood and a lot more LAX and Fiocchi. Oh and I took it out of my pocket to shoot it.

Full mandrel bent 3" exhaust all the way back with X pipe and large body dynomax superturbos.

ARH makes a set of long tube headers for my little 348 V8... I would need a 3" dual exhaust if I installed the headers. My issue is running tailpipes over the rear axle, and all the way out the back. My current exhaust is dumped in front of the axle, and I know that is robbing me of some low end power.

Here is the factory exhaust manifold next to the long tube header.
20170304_115317.jpg

It's not that it robs you of power. Out the back is MUCH more tolerable inside the cabin. It can be done by any half decent shop or do like I did and buy pre bent pieces and weld it up yourself.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads