JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Evidently, an agency of the Department of Defense has issued a directive that all spent military brass must be destroyed.

Here is one link that gives more details: http://www.jpfo.org/alerts03/alert20090313.htm

We can all post our feelings here...which is okay.

But, each of us needs to contact our own congressional and senatorial folks and ask for their help to get this directive reversed.

Here is a simple text message that I sent:

"Dear (Senator/Congressman),

It has come to my attention that an agency of the Department of Defense has just directed that all military fired brass must be destroyed. As a taxpayer, I oppose this action as the sale of spent military brass is a source of income that, to a degree, offsets other government expenditures.

In addition, as one that participates in military rifle shooting matches, it reduces my option to buy reloaded ammunition at a reasonable cost. We must remember, ownership of government property whether new, excess or surplus, is ultimately by the people.

As my (senator/congressman), I request you to represent me and take the necessary actions to reverse this directive by the Department of Defense.

Thank you,

(Signed)
(City, State)"

It's easy to do, as most representatives and senators have a formatted message layout on there website. All you need to do is cut here and paste there. Don't forget to put their name in the greeting and your name in the closing.

Update:

I can not verify the source or absolute authenticity of my original post. It may be a scam. Although, a person on another forum did post this:

"After reading through the material from JPFO, posted above, I phoned the D.C. office of [Montana] Senator Max Baucus. The gentleman I spoke with there indicated that they had heard about the situation and were - looking into it."

I still sent off a message to my two senators and congressman anyway. Hopefully, one of them will be able to substantiate or debunk this issue.

According to the new issue of the regulation, 50 cal and below are still OK for sale in CONUS un mutilated.

The actual guidance from DRMS

DRMS-I 4160.14
Section 3 - Special Processing
Cartridge Cases (Fired Brass) - Expended
Definition/Description
Ammunition components consisting of cartridge and shell casings are subject to the
International Traffic In Arms Regulations set forth in subchapter M of 22 Code of Federal
Regulations (22 CFR 120.1. et.seq). Once expended, they are processed as fired brass scrap,
with precautions to avoid improper release of unexpended cases.
Policy References/Authority
DOD 4160.21-M and DOD 4160.21-M-1.
Unique Processing Information/How to Manage
Receiving: The ETID/DTID must include the appropriate DEMIL code or clear-text statement for each
receipt. The turn-in must contain certification that the residue is inert. Two signatures, a certifier and a
verifier are required. Opening sealed/banded containers invalidates the inert certification. DRMOs will
inspect what is readily visible (open boxes and drums) to verify the absence of contaminants, such as
live rounds. No other level of inspection is required.
Not authorized for receipt from DLA Depot Recycling Control Points (RCPs).
NOTE:
Warehousing/Storage: Storage will be accomplished in a properly assigned DEMIL Code “A” or “B”
scrap pile.
Reutilization/Transfers/Donations: GSA regional offices are authorized to approve transfer to SASPs,
for donation to state and local governments, surplus expended cartridge cases (under .50 caliber) for
reloading of the cartridges.

DEMIL: All expended small arms cartridge cases (50 caliber and under) are assigned DEMIL Code “E.”
Expended shotgun shell cases are assigned DEMIL Code “A.” Expended artillery cases are assigned
DEMIL Code “B.”
Sales: Sales in CONUS are authorized for casings 50 caliber and under (to satisfy local/reloading
market/demand only).
The appropriate sales method will be determined based on location, commodity
condition, etc. as well as any current, unique sales/scrap processing initiatives that may be in place. End
Use Certificates are required for these sales.
Abandonment/Destruction: Used if specifically directed on a case-by-case basis.
Property Accounting: DEMIL performed code “9” is authorized for casings assigned DEMIL Code “E” but no DEMIL is required. No additional unique property accounting required.
The provisions of this publication apply to all non-A-76 sites and Government Personnel at A-76 sites. This
publication may be mandatory or advisory to the Service Provider, as stipulated in the Performance Work
Statement.
Section 3 - Special Processing S3-79 February 2009

Pops

From a member on another forum:

"I called the NRA-ILA (INSTITUTE FOR LEGISLATIVE ACTION). I spoke with a guy named Eric and he put me on hold for a few minutes till he could get the latest info on this subject.

After returning to the phone he gave me a bunch of info. The NRA is definitely aware of the problem and have heard from some reloaded ammo companies and individuals. Eric rattled off all the DOD agencies invlolved and apparently this may have been "somewhat of a mistake" The ranking DOD agency has heard our concerns and condsiders them VALID!!

Right now, the word is from DOD to the NRA that they hope to have a WAIVER put into place within a two or three weeks which will CORRECT this situation and return once fired brass, .50 caliber and below to the sales policies previously used!!!

Eric said it might be helpful to call our Congressmen just in case and make them aware of the impact on the DOD budget, police training, and inidividual rights."

From a member on another forum:

"I called the NRA-ILA (INSTITUTE FOR LEGISLATIVE ACTION). I spoke with a guy named Eric and he put me on hold for a few minutes till he could get the latest info on this subject.

After returning to the phone he gave me a bunch of info. The NRA is definitely aware of the problem and have heard from some reloaded ammo companies and individuals. Eric rattled off all the DOD agencies invlolved and apparently this may have been "somewhat of a mistake" The ranking DOD agency has heard our concerns and condsiders them VALID!!

Right now, the word is from DOD to the NRA that they hope to have a WAIVER put into place within a two or three weeks which will CORRECT this situation and return once fired brass, .50 caliber and below to the sales policies previously used!!!

Eric said it might be helpful to call our Congressmen just in case and make them aware of the impact on the DOD budget, police training, and inidividual rights."

Did that.

I believe this whole issue stems from an incident of some old F-14 Tomcat parts being sold to a scraping company (in effect causing a National Security breach), so as usual the goobermint in it's wisdom mandated a suspension of ALL military surplus sales henceforth... the dummies.

Maybe they pulled that one... but I poked about on the URL given above, and found about eight lots similar to this one, no mutilation required, no restrictions other than pay up, load up, and giddyup. Here's the list for this one, others had 9mm as well as these sizes. LOT (3420) APPROX LBS, FIRED BRASS, (4)PALLETS, (8)55 GAL BARRELS, (4) BARRELS OF 5. 56 APPROX 1720 LBS, (4) BARRELS OF 7. 62 APPROX 1700 LBS BARRELS AND PALLETS ARE INCLUDED IN TOTAL WEIGHT, MUTILATION NOT REQUIRED.

the decision has been reversed.

C/p:
UPDATE 2228 EDT 17 MAR 2009: Posted at Georgia Arms:

Thanks to your voice, DOD has rescinded the order to mutilate all spent cases as of 4:30 pm on 3/17/09. We appreciate the time and effort that you expended, together we all made a difference. We will be posting the email we received from DOD as well as any additional information within the next 12-16 hours. Thanks so much and lets get to work!!! Georgia Arms

You can also add the following point to our letters/calls:

The needless destruction of perfectly reusable casings is also an environmental issue. It reduces the need to further mine for metals and thereby uses far less energy than producing the ammunition from raw materials. In turn, this reduces the carbon emissions. Reducing energy use and carbon emissions is both a conservation and a national security issue.

Let's look at this issue from all angles...doing so will generate more support.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top