JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
So I picked up a used Destroyer carbine recently. Went up to the home range today with some brand new, factory ammo, loaded it up, and (click). Striker drops, but no bang. The firing pin is dimpled, but did not ignite. Tried about a dozen rounds and gave up. These old guns are always a gamble and I didn't pay much for it, so not the end of the world. Though the seller, if he knew, grossly misstated the condition in the auction.

Anywho, I reached out to the seller, but that may go no where. I will either repair it or just dump it on Numrich and move on. Questions:

• Any idea as to cause? My guess is some spring no longer has enough force.
  • Worth bothering to fix?
Thanks. :)

So I picked up a used Destroyer carbine recently. Went up to the home range today with some brand new, factory ammo, loaded it up, and (click). Striker drops, but no bang. The firing pin is dimpled, but did not ignite. Tried about a dozen rounds and gave up. These old guns are always a gamble and I didn't pay much for it, so not the end of the world. Though the seller, if he knew, grossly misstated the condition in the auction.

Anywho, I reached out to the seller, but that may go no where. I will either repair it or just dump it on Numrich and move on. Questions:

• Any idea as to cause? My guess is some spring no longer has enough force.
  • Worth bothering to fix?
Thanks. :)
id try a stiffer or longer spring just to try it. ive fixed old bolt action rifles before with a tad bit longer firing pin spring for a little bit more power

Never heard of that rifle and looked it -- very pretty and interesting cartridge. I'd look into fixing it. My guess would be the firing pin spring is weak or gummed up with grease or something. I suppose the cartridge could be loose in the chamber but that's a bigger issue than the firing pin. I'd try stripping the bolt and cleaning and if it wasn't gunked up, replacing the spring. If it was gunked up, I'd clean and go try it at the range again.

I would strip the bolt and make sure there is no old oil or grease slowing down the firing pin. Also, these are kinda famous for broken firing pins, so look to see if the tip is broken.

Lol, that's what I get for being a slow typer :)

Wikipedia says it is based on an 1893 mauser with the locking lugs at the rear, so this may not be totally relevant, but it might give some hints on bolt disassembly (I couldn't find anything specifically for the Destroyer):

Where were you able to locate new 9mm Largo ammo ?

Presuming, of course, that it is still in the original caliber.

So the primers showed zero signs of a striker hit?

Maybe the ammo needs testing. badIdea.jpg

EDIT: I suppose I should say the above suggestion is a bad idea, this being the internet and all.

I would check firing pin protrusion. If it's short a 'smith should be able to weld up and reshape it. Is it a clean dimple in the primer, or ragged?

:s0092:

My only thoughts are bad primers. Especially if they are clearly struck within reaso of what a spent primer should look like.

Unless they are just light primer strikes?

Pictures?

As an experiment, one could put a primed empty case of 9mm in it. Yes it wouldn't be fully chambered, but perhaps the extractor would hold it enough to see if the striker would ignite the primer.

Or, pull the bullets, replace primers, try again.

Pictures?

The woman is currently grading papers in bedroom where ammo so, so won't disturb her, but will try later.

But seriously if you decide you dont feel like messing with it I would buy it depending on price.

Sure. Not for $20 though. Dumping it on Numrich is more than that. (I've had a few project guns that I lost interested in making work over the years I sent there way. Pretty easy-peasy; you send gun, they send check.)

The woman is currently grading papers in bedroom where ammo so, so won't disturb her, but will try later.

Sure. Not for $20 though. Dumping it on Numrich is way more than that. (I've had a few project guns that I lost interested in making work over the years I sent there way. Pretty easy-peasy; you send gun, they send check.)
I've always been curious about those part companies and what they pay for old guns.

I've always been curious about those part companies and what they pay for old guns.

Honestly, I don't know how they figure the value. I've had some parts I didn't think was worth much and received a nice check. Others complete guns I figured would be better, but received little. They must have some algorithm to price them, but I have no idea what it is. To be honest, with either, don't care.

There's no magic here. Either the primers are bad (unlikely but not impossible) or something is causing a light strike or insufficient firing pin protrusion. If the firing pin tip is intact and not spalled off, I'd disassemble the bolt and clean out a few decades of petrified cosmoline and other gunk. I suppose it's possible to have enough head space that the ctg can move away from the firing pin strike and cause a light strike. These are very simple guns. Should not be hard to troubleshoot.

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads