JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
we have hunted the walla walla unit for over 30 years. It was not uncommon to see over 100 elk a day until the last 5 years, now if you see a cow in 5 days, you are lucky. the cougar have taken that area over no matter what the game department says. last time we were there, we seen 12 cougar and not surprising, not one elk. this year my son wanted to try desolation and we drew a bull tag.

have never hunted in this area, can anyone give us some insight as to a decent area. not wanting your special spot, just an area where we can enjoy the outdoors and see game.

Congrats on a tag. The cougar are in Desolation also. A hunting buddy last year was being stalked by a female. He got that feeling on the back of his neck....so he got up on a log so he could get a better view and that's when it pounced about 10' from his last position. Then it tore off down the trail.

I like free camping, so there are places off the 10 road or you can stay at Olive lake. There are some developed fence lines in the area and access to a wilderness area (no vehicles) that are fun to walk. Olive Lake offers some good hunting opportunities within walking distance from your camp also.

There's also a few Class I OHV trails for your ATV off the 10/1010 road.

There are usually several horse camps off the Lookout, and there are elk over there usually.

We found elk all over, (from the previous hunts had broken the herd) as long as it was terrain that looked like a pain to hike.

The hard part about Desolation (at least in the areas that we were in) was the logging and fires of yesteryear brought about a huge growth of reprod and pecker poles, so that stuff gets thick and hard to sneak around in.

I'd say get there a day early and scout out some terrain that fits your hunting style.

I hunt desolation for elk. Never got an elk... I hear it's pretty good between ukiah and granite in an area called "elk flats". but in 27 years of going out there I've never seen anything near 100 elk total.

I hunt desolation for elk. Never got an elk... I hear it's pretty good between ukiah and granite in an area called "elk flats". but in 27 years of going out there I've never seen anything near 100 elk total.

Poor Weebs! You should come over to where we hunt. You'll see and hear elk...no promises on whether there will be any shooting opportunities.

Hunted there for last 15 years and see about 10-15 elk average each trip. Thick, but they live there...just need to get out in it and you will find them in the thickest of the thick. We have had average success. Game comission encourages all hunters to get a bear (they take calves) and Cougar tag each year. We have 1 Cougar from 2 years ago in Desolation and it was following our guy up to his stand in the early darkness. Light came 10 minutes later and there was the Cougar at 15ft staring at our guy....no more cougar. 5 year old male about 90 lbs.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top