JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got 1k to buy my next gun I want something medium range 150-250yds
for the SHTF cant decide between a CX4 storm, or a Stag Arms lefty AR
advantage for the storm - I already own a 9mm...can carry a LOT of it
advantage 223 is longer ranged and flatter...HELP A GUY OUT!!

Depends what you mean by SHTF and whether you are going to be in an urban setting or rural.

I'd highly recommend against any pistol caliber carbine as your SHTF primary...it's range is only out to 100 yards max. .223 will go to 200-300.

I'd recommend finding and reading Boston T. Party's Gun Bible...he covers this question really, really well.

In the end, I chose .308 as my caliber for a true, go anywhere, do most everything caliber. .223 can be doable if you see yourself remaining in an urban setting in any SHTF situation.

If you are stuck on a carbine, the Hipoint 9mm carbine is a good choice. Hate if you want but I owned one and it was GREAT. I sold it only to fiance a better project. I still own a Hipoint 9mm pistol though and its great as well.

I know most knock them but I have never had any problems with them, the pistol was only $150 and the carbine was like $200

Skip the Storm and go with a standard configuration AR.

The problem with the Storm is that it's expensive for what it is and its range is very limited. I owned one when my only option was an indoor range and I was limited to pistol calibers. I took it to the range a couple of times and ended up selling it fairly quickly. Don't get me wrong, it was fun but it's limited. Getting all of the bulk of a long gun with the weakness of a pistol round is a bad combination.

Regarding the AR, I don't think the lefty Stag is necessary. I shoot long guns lefty and I don't have a problem shooting a standard AR. Also as has been mentioned if you go to a left handed upper, you are limited in regards to getting spare parts if something bad happens to your bolt carrier group. Additionally, since the vast majority of AR-15 rifles are not STAG lefty models, I believe you will be training in bad habits for using the AR-15.

Obviously, it's your money so you should get what you want but from my point of view if you're looking for a long gun, get a rifle caliber.

OP I am in the same situation as you. I am looking for either a Cx4 storm 9mm or a AR. I think I am leaning more towards the Cx4 because of ammo cost and cool factor. personally I cannot justify spending $10 on 20 rounds of 223 when I can get 50 of 9mm for the same price. However I do not have the same SHTF range requirements as you.

I go out shooting with my buddies every other weekend and dont want the price of my rounds to be the first thing on my mind when I'm trying to have fun.

If you are stuck on a carbine, the Hipoint 9mm carbine is a good choice. Hate if you want but I owned one and it was GREAT. I sold it only to fiance a better project. I still own a Hipoint 9mm pistol though and its great as well.

I know most knock them but I have never had any problems with them, the pistol was only $150 and the carbine was like $200

I was able to handle the Hi-point carbine, the Kel-tec sub 2000 and the Beretta Cx4 storm friday at the gun show. From what I've seen from first hand testimonials you can't really go wrong with any of the 3. For me fit and finish really means a lot though. I want something I will be proud to own for the next 20+ years.

If the OP does end up looking at the Hi-point make sure you google the ATI stock. It makes the Hi-point look almost exactly like the Cx4 storm for half the price. Sidenote, the Sub 2000 shoots dirty as **** but folding it sure is cool.

Got the stag arms model L2 and ABSOLUTELY LOOOOOOOVE IT

I got my lefty stag last year also. Just got it out for the first time last week. I love it also!. Probably should get a spare bolt carrier group but not on my high priority list yet. Been outfitting it with sling, magpul stuff and now need an optic. Looking at an H-1 but can't put my hands on one locally.

Enjoy the new rifle!! :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top