JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am not a fan of the Double Tap 9mm. I held one as I did think they looked cool but it felt like crap in my hand. I shot the 45 model and it felt like someone smacked my hand with a metal bar. Grip is way to slim for that caliber. 9mm might be better but even then there are so many more comfortable and proven options I would not spend my money on that.

I have a Cobra Derringer in .38 with barrels about a 1/2 inch longer than most, it is a smooth bore gun, 15 or 20 pound trigger. I bought it so I own it, but I am not a fan.

I do however still like Derringers and American Derringer makes a copy of the old Hi-Standard double action.
I prefer the ,22 Mag

They also make a more traditional Single Action and again MY preference would be .22 Mag.

I am leery of them without trying one after my Cobra experience. (My Cobra has a nice appearance with blue finish and rosewood grips, but man that trigger pull)

I have a Cobra Derringer in .38 with barrels about a 1/2 inch longer than most, it is a smooth bore gun, 15 or 20 pound trigger. I bought it so I own it, but I am not a fan.

I do however still like Derringers and American Derringer makes a copy of the old Hi-Standard double action.
I prefer the ,22 Mag

They also make a more traditional Single Action and again MY preference would be .22 Mag.

I am leery of them without trying one after my Cobra experience. (My Cobra has a nice appearance with blue finish and rosewood grips, but man that trigger pull)
Ooh, neat!
Too bad they put a "thumb safety" on the centerfire..
http://www.amderringer.com/das.html

Ooh, neat!
Too bad they put a "thumb safety" on the centerfire..
http://www.amderringer.com/das.html

Blah. A safety on a High Standard clone....Not cool. I want one as I always wanted a bigger caliber in the High Standard style but that sucks. The trigger is more than heavy enough to work as a safety...For those of us that are careful with our triggers. @Certaindeaf you may want to consider the safety model. I know you get an itchy finger when kids/adults/old folks/dogs/cats/bugs wonder in your lawn.

There's probably something wrong with me, but I've always liked the idea of having a derringer around. I've had them in calibers .22, .22mag, up to .38 spl. I've had the old west style "Remington" design, the High Standard .22 mags, and others in various designs. I even had a 4 barrel .22 lr P.O.S. that I quickly got rid of. I've never used a derringer as a carry gun, except for back-up. I just like having them around. They're fun to shoot, but even in larger calibers, I don't like being restricted to two shots with a slow reload.

Because physics 101 applies to firearms, Newton's action / reaction thing, I'm here to tell you, the most severe recoil I've ever experienced, ever, from any other handgun or caliber, was from a "Remington" style Cobra in .38 spl. That puppy would bite! :eek: In short order I found a pair of fingerless padded bicycle gloves just for shooting the derringer. I can't imagine what larger more powerful calibers would feel like.

My latest pocket mini-gun is a North American Arms mini revolver in .22 lr, with a .22 mag cylinder included. It isn't a classic derringer, but it at least has five shots. I found that .22 magnum bullets tend to tumble, and accuracy is limited by your ability to point shoot. The factory installed a new barrel, but it turns out that with the very short barrel ( 1 5/8"), the magnum rounds have just too much velocity to get a grip on the rifling. I only carry it around the house, what a neighbor calls my "tak'n out the trash, get the f--- off of me gun."

I'm impressed with the workmanship on the little blasters, and the customer service they have provided me. Made in America!

Over the years I've owned several "tiny"guns,
My top 10 list;
1- Bobcat stainless/black grips (currently own and will never sell)
2- Bobcat black/wood grips
3- Bobcat stainless/wood grips
4- Bobcat black/black grips
5- NAA revolver 22lr grip holster (still got)
6- Taurus stainless/wood grips (first pistol)
7- Taurus polymer version
8- NAA revolver 22 short (used with blanks to start sailboat races 'till some dumbass dropped it, and the wind gauge it was tied to, overboard)
9-Cobra standard 22lr chrome (took as a partial trade)
10- Cobra standard black 22lr (found at a garage sale for $25...still overpaid)
(note; all my Bobcats were 22lr)

The kicker is....they were all fun to play with

The size difference between the Bobcat and a decent derringer is minimal.
I never could talk myself into a Bond Arms derringer, too costly and too big for only two shots.
upload_2015-7-8_16-29-56.png

While it's hardly a "mouse gun", my current favorite small pistol is my model 86 Cheetah.
(I told my wife that I want to be buried with it...she said no. 'Cuz it's her favorite too)

Last Edited:
I'd find one chambered for .357. Then you can shoot super light .38 loads to high power .357 loads, as well as shot shells. If you roll your own it opens up your options even more.
I've only shot Bond in .357, Hi-Standard in .22 mag, and double tap in 9mm. The double tap sucked, and hurt like an MF'er compared to the other two. You also cant service the double tap. I dont like that...

Over the years I've owned several "tiny"guns,
My top 10 list;
1- Bobcat stainless/black grips (currently own and will never sell)
2- Bobcat black/wood grips
3- Bobcat stainless/wood grips
4- Bobcat black/black grips
5- NAA revolver 22lr grip holster (still got)
6- Taurus stainless/wood grips (first pistol)
7- Taurus polymer version
8- NAA revolver 22 short (used with blanks to start sailboat races 'till some dumbass dropped it, and the wind gauge it was tied to, overboard)
9-Cobra standard 22lr chrome (took as a partial trade)
10- Cobra standard black 22lr (found at a garage sale for $25...still overpaid)

The kicker is....they were all fun to play with

The size difference between the Bobcat and a decent derringer is minimal.
I never could talk myself into a Bond Arms derringer, too costly and too big for only two shots.
View attachment 246378

While it's hardly a "mouse gun", my current favorite small pistol is my model 86 Cheetah.
(I told my wife that I want to be buried with it...she said no. 'Cuz it's her favorite too)
Is the Bobcat a .22 or a .25, I always thought they would be better, function wise in .25

I am really interested in the Double Tap 9mm model. It looks like it would fill the hole currently in my pocket where my Kahr CM9 used to ride.

NO! (unless you want to buy mine)

I got a great deal on a new DT with both the .45 and 9mm ported barrels. I only every shot two .45 rounds through it. At the time it really hurt. Later that evening, it REALLY hurt. 6 weeks later, it stopped actively hurting and only hurt if did something stupid like try to pick something up.

NO! (unless you want to buy mine)

I got a great deal on a new DT with both the .45 and 9mm ported barrels. I only every shot two .45 rounds through it. At the time it really hurt. Later that evening, it REALLY hurt. 6 weeks later, it stopped actively hurting and only hurt if did something stupid like try to pick something up.

Yes I hear that. The 45 Double Tap may be the most painful gun I have ever shot. Seriously who did the testing. "well we got it so it does not break bones anymore just a lot of bruising" owner of double tap "good enough, send those two shots of hell out".
Might feel better to let the 45 go off in my palm rather than the grip on that thing hitting my hand. Not sure but will never try it again...That I am sure of.

There have been a couple shootings in my valley where the suspect used a .22, and
then in another a victim used a .22 to defend himself.

While I like my CZ 455 .22 Magnum rifle, I think I'll just save up for that Bond Arms
Cowboy Defender (No trigger guard) in .45 ACP.

I would be using this for some practice and carry,

with some 185 or 230 grain Hardball
practice ammo in there as well.

DTA-Small_zpsdkyudswz.png

There have been a couple shootings in my valley where the suspect used a .22, and
then in another a victim used a .22 to defend himself.

While I like my CZ 455 .22 Magnum rifle, I think I'll just save up for that Bond Arms
Cowboy Defender (No trigger guard) in .45 ACP.

I would be using this for some practice and carry,

with some 185 or 230 grain Hardball
practice ammo in there as well.
Well good luck with that. Those'll probably hit 750fps out of that gun and not expand.. performing like a sharpened pencil icepick. I'd use a Keith SWC load. the load is very warm and the bullet effective

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top