Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Derringer Calibers

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by RedneckRampage, May 3, 2015.

1. RedneckRampage

RedneckRampage Newberg Well-Known Member

I've always wanted a derringer pistol. I already have a couple pocket pistols and guns I carry, but I think they are cool. I want one of the classic looking ones, double barrel, no trigger guard, short barrel... My question is, what caliber do I get? Obviously it's not going to be for targets, but if I had to use it at 5-10', I'd like it to have a little stopping power, so .22 is out. I also want to be able to hold onto it, so I don't want a .44 mag or something like that (I do, actually). I'm leaning towards .38 Special. What's the best caliber for a close quarters, two shot derringer?

2. Bill Siegle

Bill Siegle Oregon Active Member

I have a Bond in 9mm that is easy to shoot. I have a spare 45Colt barrel that is not too punishing to fire with cowboy level loadings. If you go with a Bond model you have your choice of a lot of different calibers on one gun if you want.

3. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

I would go with 45/70...:rolleyes:

Dapapadon, BoonDocks36, ron and 3 others like this.
  4. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

I'd go with either the 9 or .38. I'd probably carry wadcutters or semi-wadcutters in either since I reload.
    If you don't reload, I'd go with the .38 since either is a factory load in that caliber.
    Some of the jhp's might not be so effective out of the short tube but those will be.

5. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

there ya go.. looks like a super fun range gun.

ZA_Survivalist and edison bulb like this.
  6. rdb241

rdb241 Puyallup Washington Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

I have one of those, I think, Lianeds 45 long colt/.410 shotgun.

Stomper and pinne65 like this.
  7. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

I like mine in .45/.410.
    38B2DBEC-9CB2-4858-B956-E96E00DA9B05_zpsyr6ektsp.jpg

Stomper likes this.
  8. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

There is a reason that the Remington Model 95 Derringer in .41 RF was offered for sale for nearly seventy years.

Get your derringer on gunbroker and your newly made ammunition for it at Dixi Gun Works.

BA0120.JPG

9. edison bulb

edison bulb Portland, OR Well-Known Member

Wow! Quite the kick on that 45-70! I would never shoot one but it was fun watching him shoot it :D

10. edslhead

edslhead Vanc Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

Got a good bruise on my shoulder shootin my Marlin 45/70 . Bet that thing hurt like heck.

11. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

I love old guns. And it's cool to see the ammo being made. But there is also a reason it's been left to the dust bin of time!

Were talking a 130Grain projectile at 425FPS. Making a whopping 52 Foot pounds of energy.
    That makes a .25 auto look like a hot round!

coyotecaller likes this.
  12. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Oh, you are absolutely right. No doubt about it. Still, if you really want one, and you think they're cool: go with the classic.

If you have the dinero that is. They are pretty spendy on gunbroker.

Also here is a small part of an entertaining article I read in GUNS Magazine about shooting these pistols with the Navy ammunition.

"From the 3-inch barrels of a Remington, the Western Lubaloys averaged 532 fps and the new lot of Navy Arms ammunition, 621 fps. A 130-grain bullet at 621 fps churns up 111 ft-lbs of energy. As a comparison, the current .38 S&W load with a 145-grain bullet and a muzzle velocity of 685 fps from a 4-inch barrel delivers 151 ft-lbs of energy, and with my chronograph screens set 10 feet from the muzzle of the derringer, I was seriously understating the actual muzzle velocity of the .41 Shorts. The .41 rimfire is not a puny round."

So…….perhaps it's a little more than a mosquito killer? ;)

13. Certaindeaf

My favorite derringer is the High Standard.. you just pull the trigger to fire .
    Wish it was made in 9mm or .38 though.

Iq3gAtnA&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0.jpg

ikemay and 40calruler like this.
  14. Clarkston_cz

Clarkston_cz Clarkston, Washington Member

I think the Bond Arms trigger guard can come off it needed?

I want to buy a Glock 43 when funds are better, and then a Bond Arms
    BACKUP or Cowboy Defender in .45 ACP(also .45 GAP barrel) and maybe
    a 9mm barrel if the .45 ACP is too rough on me:)

DTA-22_zpslur9ncvx.png
    DTA-2_zps4meesvmw.png
    10mm,

10MM-1.jpg
    dt10mmE.jpg
    .44 Special
    DTlong.jpg
    DT6.jpg
    or even ,38/357 are some other neat options.

357_zps4e474a8d.jpg

Need to sell my PPS+mags eventually and pay a medical bill off.

There might be a small amount left for me to save for the G43.

The PPS was supposed to be my Summer Carry gun,. but I just hate
    the paddle mag release.

I'll get that cool Bond Arms someday!

15. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

I prefer .357 or .45ACP. Double action. With trigger guard.
    Double barrels are good. But quad is better. :D

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    mjbskwim likes this.
  16. Certaindeaf

I knew there was a newer DA derringer but forgot!
    I had one of those .357 COPS a long time ago.. it was at the factory more often than in my possession. no thanks

17. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

I had the bond arms in a couple calibers.Not that much fun with 410,45colt was OK. 45acp wasn't bad but not that cool.Problem is the are a 2 shot gun that is as big as a small 5 shot revolver and every bit as heavy.
    Yeah they are cool looking but for the price a 5 shot revolver is a better choice
    And no,the trigger guard doesn't come off.You either buy the model with or with out the guard
    I wouldn't discount the 22mag for a derringer or the 327HR mag.I don't think 38 would be a bad caliber either.357 would be brutal if not in a heavy Bond arms gun
    But the derringer is for very close range so most any caliber can be effective,even a 22lr place on a guy's chest

ikemay and ogre like this.
  18. 40calruler

40calruler Lake Oswego Well-Known Member

I absolutely love mine. I have even gotten pretty decent with it up to 10'. In my opinion the best derringer ever made for ease of use. I am not a huge fan of only .22 either but the damn thing works so well it makes for a great pocket gun you can always count on. .22 makes a double tap really easy with almost no recoil on a puny gun! Good taste sir.

high1.jpg

Certaindeaf and mjbskwim like this.
  19. Dreams of Steel

Dreams of Steel Sherwood Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2016 Volunteer

I am really interested in the Double Tap 9mm model. It looks like it would fill the hole currently in my pocket where my Kahr CM9 used to ride.

20. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Well as you can see from above,the double tap brings quite a hole to the party.
    I believe there are some gel tests on you tube for this brand