JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've always wanted a derringer pistol. I already have a couple pocket pistols and guns I carry, but I think they are cool. I want one of the classic looking ones, double barrel, no trigger guard, short barrel... My question is, what caliber do I get? Obviously it's not going to be for targets, but if I had to use it at 5-10', I'd like it to have a little stopping power, so .22 is out. I also want to be able to hold onto it, so I don't want a .44 mag or something like that (I do, actually). I'm leaning towards .38 Special. What's the best caliber for a close quarters, two shot derringer?

I have a Bond in 9mm that is easy to shoot. I have a spare 45Colt barrel that is not too punishing to fire with cowboy level loadings. If you go with a Bond model you have your choice of a lot of different calibers on one gun if you want.

I'd go with either the 9 or .38. I'd probably carry wadcutters or semi-wadcutters in either since I reload.
If you don't reload, I'd go with the .38 since either is a factory load in that caliber.
Some of the jhp's might not be so effective out of the short tube but those will be.

I like mine in .45/.410.

38B2DBEC-9CB2-4858-B956-E96E00DA9B05_zpsyr6ektsp.jpg

There is a reason that the Remington Model 95 Derringer in .41 RF was offered for sale for nearly seventy years.

Get your derringer on gunbroker and your newly made ammunition for it at Dixi Gun Works.

View attachment 241973

I love old guns. And it's cool to see the ammo being made. But there is also a reason it's been left to the dust bin of time!

Were talking a 130Grain projectile at 425FPS. Making a whopping 52 Foot pounds of energy.
That makes a .25 auto look like a hot round!

I love old guns. And it's cool to see the ammo being made. But there is also a reason it's been left to the dust bin of time!

Were talking a 130Grain projectile at 425FPS. Making a whopping 52 Foot pounds of energy.
That makes a .25 auto look like a hot round!

Oh, you are absolutely right. No doubt about it. Still, if you really want one, and you think they're cool: go with the classic.

If you have the dinero that is. They are pretty spendy on gunbroker.

Also here is a small part of an entertaining article I read in GUNS Magazine about shooting these pistols with the Navy ammunition.

"From the 3-inch barrels of a Remington, the Western Lubaloys averaged 532 fps and the new lot of Navy Arms ammunition, 621 fps. A 130-grain bullet at 621 fps churns up 111 ft-lbs of energy. As a comparison, the current .38 S&W load with a 145-grain bullet and a muzzle velocity of 685 fps from a 4-inch barrel delivers 151 ft-lbs of energy, and with my chronograph screens set 10 feet from the muzzle of the derringer, I was seriously understating the actual muzzle velocity of the .41 Shorts. The .41 rimfire is not a puny round."

So…….perhaps it's a little more than a mosquito killer? ;)

I think the Bond Arms trigger guard can come off it needed?

I want to buy a Glock 43 when funds are better, and then a Bond Arms
BACKUP or Cowboy Defender in .45 ACP(also .45 GAP barrel) and maybe
a 9mm barrel if the .45 ACP is too rough on me:)

10mm,

.44 Special
DTlong.jpg
DT6.jpg
or even ,38/357 are some other neat options.

Need to sell my PPS+mags eventually and pay a medical bill off.

There might be a small amount left for me to save for the G43.

The PPS was supposed to be my Summer Carry gun,. but I just hate
the paddle mag release.

I'll get that cool Bond Arms someday!

DTA-22_zpslur9ncvx.png DTA-2_zps4meesvmw.png 10MM-1.jpg dt10mmE.jpg 357_zps4e474a8d.jpg

I knew there was a newer DA derringer but forgot!
I had one of those .357 COPS a long time ago.. it was at the factory more often than in my possession. no thanks

I had the bond arms in a couple calibers.Not that much fun with 410,45colt was OK. 45acp wasn't bad but not that cool.Problem is the are a 2 shot gun that is as big as a small 5 shot revolver and every bit as heavy.
Yeah they are cool looking but for the price a 5 shot revolver is a better choice
And no,the trigger guard doesn't come off.You either buy the model with or with out the guard
I wouldn't discount the 22mag for a derringer or the 327HR mag.I don't think 38 would be a bad caliber either.357 would be brutal if not in a heavy Bond arms gun
But the derringer is for very close range so most any caliber can be effective,even a 22lr place on a guy's chest

My favorite derringer is the High Standard.. you just pull the trigger to fire .
Wish it was made in 9mm or .38 though.

View attachment 242125

I absolutely love mine. I have even gotten pretty decent with it up to 10'. In my opinion the best derringer ever made for ease of use. I am not a huge fan of only .22 either but the damn thing works so well it makes for a great pocket gun you can always count on. .22 makes a double tap really easy with almost no recoil on a puny gun! Good taste sir.

high1.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads