JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions

Paul Blart...Mall Cop.

the deputy is on medical leave for stress after thinking Eklund was going to kill him.

Gaston is suing the IRS.

Seems a little thin skinned from someone who works in a job where they regularly point guns at people.

While the reaction by the guard was extreme, even I know weapons are not allowed on Federal property- it's well posted outside. As he was not there on official business, that rule would apply equally to Gaston.

18 USC 930:
d)Subsection (a) shall not apply to—
(1)
the lawful performance of official duties by an officer, agent, or employee of the United States, a State, or a political subdivision thereof, who is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of any violation of law;

So he was committing a federal offense that comes with a fine and one year in prison. And then resisted arrest when the guard tried to detain him. It ultimately went his way because he's a cop and professional courtesy, yadda yadda. He was still breaking the law. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

This is one of those WTF stories that you are first think has to be some kind of joke. What is going on that a Federal Office would hire some MORON like this and let him carry a gun??
He likely failed his physical & psych eval trying to be a real cop and ended up where his is...#FAIL.

Seems a little thin skinned from someone who works in a job where they regularly point guns at people.

While the reaction by the guard was extreme, even I know weapons are not allowed on Federal property- it's well posted outside. As he was not there on official business, that rule would apply equally to Gaston.

So he was committing a federal offense that comes with a fine and one year in prison. And then resisted arrest when the guard tried to detain him. It ultimately went his way because he's a cop and professional courtesy, yadda yadda. He was still breaking the law. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

I read federal law if local law enforcement was not called officially called by the IRS office he was breaking the federal gun carry guidelines. Pretty stupid for the guard since he was local law enforcement.

Deputy tried to bully his will and surprise...fail!

Sorry, being a Deputy doesn't mean you're God.

At certain times, even Deputies have to disarm...this was one of those times.

I'm curious about the menacing charge for the guard. Sounds like it came from the local prosecutors office. Generally a federal employee in the performance of their duty on federal property would be immune to any local prosecution.

Maybe it's leverage to see if the feds would agree not to charge the deputy for his federal law violations if the locals drop their charges on the guard.

I think it's just the game people play. Possibly the cop did it for the next move. Personally i would have just had a talk up the chain of command for building security. But everyone wants a free vacation.

I had a time with the guard at a gov't office, last time a sig other needed to make changes to her SS info--back then I open carried & had a lot of less lethal options on my belt. Of course I left the guns in the car, locked in my safe but the guard objected to my extra mags, pepper spray & then to my knife, finally decided he didn't like my vise grips & my travels back & forth to the car became annoying--I was about ready to become intolerant on his @ss when he finally gave up & let me in

Guess he figured I finally knew who the big boss was

Technically the deputy should have disarmed, however, I don't believe in leaving one's firearm unattended in a vehicle. They should have a check in for law enforcement firearms since it's pretty common knowledge that any enforcement is going to have a firearm on them if they visit a Federal building. All this speaks to me is just how disorganized our government really is and the ensuing conflict of authority could have easily cost someone or several people their lives.

Technically the deputy should have disarmed, however, I don't believe in leaving one's firearm unattended in a vehicle. They should have a check in for law enforcement firearms since it's pretty common knowledge that any enforcement is going to have a firearm on them if they visit a Federal building. All this speaks to me is just how disorganized our government really is and the ensuing conflict of authority could have easily cost someone or several people their lives.
Better yet, either abide by the Second Amendment or provide a lockers/iron-check area for EVERYONE. Do remember, Hoover at standing up the FBI was asked what gave him the authority to arm FBI agents and his reply was "the Second Amendment"...

If I remember correctly, Criminal Justice in America 101 discusses the letter of the law, the spirit of the law and the use of discretion at each point in the CJS. Apparently the mall ninja never took that class.

shouldn't the security guard be disarmed too? Gun free zone means no guns.

Talos32 quoted the applicable law above:
18 USC 930:
d)Subsection (a) shall not apply to—
(1)
the lawful performance of official duties by an officer, agent, or employee of the United States, a State, or a political subdivision thereof, who is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of any violation of law;

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top