JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Scroll down to the bottom of the bid request. CHICAGO? Guess it's only
citizens that can't have guns in Chicago. Hope that changes in a few
months.

Place of Delivery:
U.S. Department of Education
Office of Inspector General
c/o: Gary Pawlak, Special Agent
500 West Madison Street - Suite 1414
Chicago, IL 60661

anyone notice this -
-"only shotguns authorized for ED based on compatibility with ED existing shotgun inventory, certified armor and combat training and protocol, maintenance, and parts."

Since when does the dept. of Ed need "combat training" ?

Did I miss something. When and WHY are they armed?

anyone notice this -
-"only shotguns authorized for ED based on compatibility with ED existing shotgun inventory, certified armor and combat training and protocol, maintenance, and parts."

Since when does the dept. of Ed need "combat training" ?

Did I miss something. When and WHY are they armed?

There's an earlier link that mentions that this is for the department's Inspector General. Every federal department has one, and every IG's office has at least a small detective force comprised of Special Agents who investigate waste, fraud, abuse, and employee misconduct. They're one of the best things going in the federal government, and save taxpayers billions of dollars a year at a relatively minimal cost. More info here: http://www.ignet.gov/ - and a long .pdf about why/when armed investigators are authorized for IGs: <broken link removed>

Last Edited:
:D:D Recently the IRS made the same kind of purchase. Maybe the ED department is going to help the IRS get every fugging dime of taxes out of you possible. But since it's the ED department they can say "it's for the childeren":s0112::s0112::s0112::s0112:

jj

There's an earlier link that mentions that this is for the department's Inspector General. Every federal department has one, and every IG's office has at least a small detective force comprised of Special Agents who investigate waste, fraud, abuse, and employee misconduct. They're one of the best things going in the federal government, and save taxpayers billions of dollars a year at a relatively minimal cost. More info here: http://www.ignet.gov/ - and a long .pdf about why/when armed investigators are authorized for IGs: <broken link removed>

Thanks for the link. I did notice something that I thought disturbing though---

"However, prior to enactment of section 812 of the Homeland Security Act of2002 (Pub. L. No.
t07-296), the Inspector General Act did not provide firearms, arrest, or search warrant authorities
for investigators: of those offices.' The Inspectors General of the various executive agencies
relied on Memoranda of Understanding with the Department of Justice that provided temporary
grants of law enforcement powers through deputations. As the volume of investigations
warranting such police powers increased, deputations were authorized on a "blanket" -or officewide
basis
."

Is there that much "fraud and criminal activity" in the federal gov't?

Scary.

Thanks for the link. I did notice something that I thought disturbing though---
"However, prior to enactment of section 812 of the Homeland Security Act of2002 (Pub. L. No.
t07-296), the Inspector General Act did not provide firearms, arrest, or search warrant authorities
for investigators: of those offices.' The Inspectors General of the various executive agencies
relied on Memoranda of Understanding with the Department of Justice that provided temporary
grants of law enforcement powers through deputations. As the volume of investigations
warranting such police powers increased, deputations were authorized on a "blanket" -or officewide
basis."

Is there that much "fraud and criminal activity" in the federal gov't?

Scary.

Nope, that's mostly in Congress (and departments like the military that make megabuck purchases), but the threat of kickbacks, bribes, and corruption exists anywhere there are multimillion-dollar contracts, even for things as simple as computer networks and janitorial services.

The IGs also investigate most of the attempts to commit fraud against the government (with a few exceptions - the common small-change things like tax and social security fraud are handled by specialized agencies). The Department of Education folks we're talking about now, for example, are probably responsible for investigating some types of financial aid/student loan fraud.

To me, it looks like this was just a housekeeping regulation designed to streamline the procedure by which the DOJ authorizes creates IG offices.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top