JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Buy the Lee decapper that works with the most shells you intend to reload - use the decapper pin with washers for the calibers the base doesn't fit.

I started loading 30.06 around 1976 with a Lee Loader.
Links are to the Lee Loader, no press involved, $40 each, just add powder, primer, bullets, mallet, time.
.380 auto====== base: .374" primer: small pistol .1745-.1765"
.223 5.56 ====== base: .378" primer: small rifle .1745-.1765"
9mm Luger ==== base: .394" primer: small pistol .1745-.1765"
.45 ACP ======= base: .4734" primer: large pistol .2100-.2120"

I soon saw that it was cheaper to buy the base tools then add dies.
Single Stage press, trimmer, powder scale, Lee kit $127,
Cartridge shot most? .223 die set.$31 (or whatever you shoot)
Needed to measure, got a caliper $30
Reloading guide $6.50 or reloading book $23
Want to prove you are reloading close to the data? Chronograph tells you bullet speed $100+

Keep accurate notes in a binder
Use a permanent marker to write on the cartridge
Ask lots of questions
Avoid hot loads, they lead to the big KABOOM.

I have never used a press to deprime and I been reloading since I was 11 that makes 46 years I been reloading. I have always used the Lee punch and anvil setup I now have mine mounted in a piece of copper pipe at bench level (with a smaller piece of steel pipe inside it to create a should for the anvil to sit on) the primers fall into a soup can the pipe are sitting in I only empty it once a year. I use a plastic hammer so the punch end doesn't splay out.

The reason for this is I want my brass clean before it ever touches a die. And you can't get the primer pocket clean until the primers out of it.

SO I punch the primer
use a RCBS primer pocket scraper in a cordless drill to scrap the crap out of the bottom of the pocket and then I run the brass in my vibrater cleaning it. Once vibrated and then washed and dried I lube and size it.

I went ahead and bought a Lee Loader for 9mm. I don't have the fundage for a full size press yet so the Lee Loader is my best bet at the moment. I have way more time than money,

I have been reading a bit on reloading so my next question is what's a cheap way to wash the brass? i don't need to wash more than 50-100 cases at a time.

I started loading 30.06 around 1976 with a Lee Loader.
Links are to the Lee Loader, no press involved, $40 each, just add powder, primer, bullets, mallet, time.
.380 auto====== base: .374" primer: small pistol .1745-.1765"
.223 5.56 ====== base: .378" primer: small rifle .1745-.1765"
9mm Luger ==== base: .394" primer: small pistol .1745-.1765"
.45 ACP ======= base: .4734" primer: large pistol .2100-.2120"

I'm also looking at getting in to reloading. I checked out the links you have above, one rather important point I noticed is that they all say they're not recommend for semi-auto, pump or lever guns because they "neck size only". Is this really an issue? I don't know that many folks have bolt action rifles or revolvers in 9mm or .45acp, so what good would these be otherwise? Or do they function just fine, that's just Lee being overly cautious?

I'm also looking at getting in to reloading. I checked out the links you have above, one rather important point I noticed is that they all say they're not recommend for semi-auto, pump or lever guns because they "neck size only". Is this really an issue? I don't know that many folks have bolt action rifles or revolvers in 9mm or .45acp, so what good would these be otherwise? Or do they function just fine, that's just Lee being overly cautious?

I was also wondering that. While i was looking through their site i came upon another page that said

"The Lee Loader neck sizes only, use only with brass fired through your gun. You can reload a round in 30 seconds. "

Here is that page.

http://leeprecision.com/reloading-kits/lee-loader-pistol/

A buddy and I are going to get set up this year for reloading. I've reloaded in the past, it's time to get back on the horse. I'm looking for a depriming setup, as well. Figured I'd get one of these:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/136543/lee-universal-depriming-and-decapping-die

...and one of these:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/807734/lee-reloader-single-stage-press

All you need then are the right shell plate for the press. Might be more than you were looking to spend, but I'll bet it gets the job done.

I was also wondering that. While i was looking through their site i came upon another page that said

"The Lee Loader neck sizes only, use only with brass fired through your gun. You can reload a round in 30 seconds. "

Here is that page.

http://leeprecision.com/reloading-kits/lee-loader-pistol/

Interesting. Maybe one of the folks here will know if there is a way to use new brass, even with this tool. Maybe there is another component you can get to manually perform the task to size the brass, yet still use this to load?

Ttuck "has way more time than money", got a Lee Loader in 9mm Luger.
After de-priming, clean the primer pocket. Lee Primer Pocket Cleaner $4.19
Don't scrape too deeply, just clean out the black crud.
Check that the flash hole is clear of debris.
Clear any junk from inside the case (rocks, spiders, etc).

"my next question is what's a cheap way to wash the brass?"
Water and soap won't clean it. Steel wool (0000) splinters get in your skin.
Money vs time: I wouldn't bother making it look pretty.

"I noticed is that they all say they're not recommend for semi-auto, pump or lever guns because they "neck size only". Is this really an issue?"
Semi-Auto-loading guns are picky about their ammo. They jam if the cartridge is too tight in the chamber.
If you run into jamming, a Max Cartridge Gage $23 will check for oversized cases.

I like the suggestions in post 16 by BlindedByScience. The C press will work well with pistol cases.
Just add the shell holder. Inexpensive, too.

"New Brass" will need to be sized before loading

Ttuck "has way more time than money", got a Lee Loader in 9mm Luger.
After de-priming, clean the primer pocket. Lee Primer Pocket Cleaner $4.19
Don't scrape too deeply, just clean out the black crud.
Check that the flash hole is clear of debris.
Clear any junk from inside the case (rocks, spiders, etc).

"my next question is what's a cheap way to wash the brass?"
Water and soap won't clean it. Steel wool (0000) splinters get in your skin.
Money vs time: I wouldn't bother making it look pretty.

"I noticed is that they all say they're not recommend for semi-auto, pump or lever guns because they "neck size only". Is this really an issue?"
Semi-Auto-loading guns are picky about their ammo. They jam if the cartridge is too tight in the chamber.
If you run into jamming, a Max Cartridge Gage $23 will check for oversized cases.

I like the suggestions in post 16 by BlindedByScience. The C press will work well with pistol cases.
Just add the shell holder. Inexpensive, too.

"New Brass" will need to be sized before loading

While I realize this isn't my thread, I hope the OP doesn't mind me inserting myself in here as he's asking similar questions to my own.

Thanks for the additional information Rick, that's really helpful. For getting started, that C press looks like an inexpensive way to get going. I don't shoot thousands or even hundreds of rounds when I go out (at least at this time), so a single stage, while slower, would certainly be a nice way to start.

Regarding your comment on resizing new brass - what method or tool would you recommend that would fit in the budget of the tool lineups being discussed here?

I think that little C Press with a decent set of dies would do just fine, if a bit slowly, as a starter press. Should be very serviceable for many years. I'm sure Lee sold a ton of them over the years, nice way to get started.

I think that little C Press with a decent set of dies would do just fine, if a bit slowly, as a starter press. Should be very serviceable for many years. I'm sure Lee sold a ton of them over the years, nice way to get started.

Have you ever tried the Lee 4-turret press? Seems like a nice step up from the single press for not a whole lot more money.

Here's a video I found on it while doing some research:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads