JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hand gun I tumble then deprime. Semi auto gets dirty. If I'm at an outdoor range there's more dirt on there. Rifle I've been sizing/depriming before cleaning. No reason to clean bolt action before depriming. I would tumble .223 before depriming. Those ARs make the brass very dirty. The Garand I'll give them a wipe before I deprime.

I'll say it boils down to how dirty you want brass that runs through your dies?

For me, it depends on what process I'm using to clean the brass. For anything I am wet tumbling, I decap the brass with a universal decap die prior to cleaning. This is typically my process for rifle rounds. For handgun brass, it depends on how dirty the brass are, but I usually dry tumble. And When dry tumbling handgun, I don't decap them first, as it's another step that I leave to station 1 on the Dillon presses I use.

When I've tried my RCBS ultrasonic for cleaning brass, I decapped them first. But I prefer wet tumbling if I'm involving liquid in the process.

Last Edited:
Pistol I just dry tumble then process (decap, etc)

Rifle brass varies depending on the purpose of the load. Anality varies here. :D

Depends on the condition of the brass.

I normally take my 'fired' brass, along with any 'pickup' I may find and do a short tumbling with Dawn, lemon juice and spent primers as my tumbling 'media'.

When done the brass is usually pretty nice looking and I dry it and put it into storage. After sizing & depriming if the primer pockets aren't too bad I may just reload it without any further cleaning.

Regardless 'pre - cleaning' removes any debris, powder residue etc. and makes resizing it easier.

It's gotta be bright and shiny!

IMG_2276.JPG

Last Edited:
I load only small batch right now but have been wanting to introduce a cleaning step and to me it only makes sense to decap first.

Does anyone have any opinion on this mostly universal Hornady decap die? RCBS makes a cheaper one but its only good for up to 25cal but this one seems to cover most all rifle calibers.

1649470880964.png

Don't have any experience with the Hornady decap die. I use a Lee universal decap die, with a Squirrel Daddy decap pin. Works on everything I've tried it on, other than Berdan primed brass that got mixed in and went unnoticed until I bent or broke the Lee decap pin.

The Lee decaping die was pretty inexpensive IIRC.

It depends on how dirty the brass is, if its filthy with mud and debris even on the insides, then I'll tumble for 4-5 hours before depriming and then again for a couple hours when l am done processing it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top