JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm still not fond of them - my feelings on dentists border on irrational terror on a good day.

I broke a canine tooth yesterday at lunch; had all my teeth dialed in but 7 years without dental insurance has taken a toll on my teeth - embarrassingly so as they tend to get cavities no matter how many times I brush and floss (got my dad's bad teeth:(), it took going to the dentist multiple times a year and maxing out my insurance to keep them looking good. Now my mouth (too me) resembles a meth heads:oops:.

I tried all sorts of oragel and even used a mixture of oils my wife made (that actually helped more then the oragel stuff which didn't help at all).

Took Tylenol, oxycodone and kept switching out ice cold cokes to hold on my face because the left side of my face is all swollen and the pain goes almost to my eye socket. The left side of my nose tickles as well.

I know crushed cloves can help as that is what's in the dental topical anesthetics.

Anyone have any other home remeidies I can use for next time?

I slept from 10pm to 12am last night and had to get up and put more oil mixture on my gums and back to the cold cokes on my cheek so I got very little sleep (which is the least of my worries right now - feels like I got a great job and then everything that can go wrong is all happening one after another... thankfully they seem understanding so far).

The pain at its worst is a 10 and at best a 7/8 plus half of my face hurts as well as being swollen.

Got a noon appointment (thankfully the kid is around and willing to take her old man to the dentist and drive me home) unless they call with an earlier time but at this point I don't think so.

There is my whoa is me thread for the day:confused:.

I'll have to find something positive to post about next time;)

2 Ibuprofen and 1 Tylenol. My dentist actually prescribes this with Rx strength Ibuprofen.
And that's what's in Exedrine Migrane.

If you have Vicodin, take one with 2 Ibu.

As far as anything to put directly on the tooth, I've never found anything that works, so if you do, don't be bashful, post it.

2 Ibuprofen and 1 Tylenol. My dentist actually prescribes this with Rx strength Ibuprofen.
And that's what's in Exedrine Migrane.

If you have Vicodin, take one with 2 Ibu.

As far as anything to put directly on the tooth, I've never found anything that works, so if you do, don't be bashful, post it.

If they don't give me something stronger, so have an oxycodone script for my knee still but with the amount of swelling over such a large area I'm guessing they will put me on antibiotics after they drill or pull the tooth.

I will ask my wife what the concoction was that she gave me to use. She is a pretty big believer in holistic meds so it probablely a mixture of essential oils. I will say that stuff helped much more then the pain meds - as far as I could tell.

I'm still not fond of them - my feelings on dentists border on irrational terror on a good day.

I broke a canine tooth yesterday at lunch; had all my teeth dialed in but 7 years without dental insurance has taken a toll on my teeth - embarrassingly so as they tend to get cavities no matter how many times I brush and floss (got my dad's bad teeth:(), it took going to the dentist multiple times a year and maxing out my insurance to keep them looking good. Now my mouth (too me) resembles a meth heads:oops:.

I tried all sorts of oragel and even used a mixture of oils my wife made (that actually helped more then the oragel stuff which didn't help at all).

Took Tylenol, oxycodone and kept switching out ice cold cokes to hold on my face because the left side of my face is all swollen and the pain goes almost to my eye socket. The left side of my nose tickles as well.

I know crushed cloves can help as that is what's in the dental topical anesthetics.

Anyone have any other home remeidies I can use for next time?

I slept from 10pm to 12am last night and had to get up and put more oil mixture on my gums and back to the cold cokes on my cheek so I got very little sleep (which is the least of my worries right now - feels like I got a great job and then everything that can go wrong is all happening one after another... thankfully they seem understanding so far).

The pain at its worst is a 10 and at best a 7/8 plus half of my face hurts as well as being swollen.

Got a noon appointment (thankfully the kid is around and willing to take her old man to the dentist and drive me home) unless they call with an earlier time but at this point I don't think so.

There is my whoa is me thread for the day:confused:.

I'll have to find something positive to post about next time;)

About the worst damn thing there is when that happens. Not much can be done until you can get in to see a pro. I don't think anyone likes them. Things have improved light years though. Many younger people look at you like you are fabricating a story when you tell them about terrible visits to a dentist. Things have gotten a LOT better. Hope you get fixed up quick!!

Got a real nice lady (2 months away from retirement) that said a root canal would be best and to always ask dentists to do anything they could to keep the tooth.

Then she got in there and said she was the last one to recomend an extraction but she said it is not saveable unfortunately.

Infected tooth that gets pulled on the 8th, but my whole half of my face is swollen from the infection... (almost uploaded a pic but I'm 10 time uglier then normal - think the chained up guy in the goonies lol. said come back if still is not getting better by Wednesday. Gave me some massive antibiotics to get rid of it. Wanted to cut the gums to release some of the pressure and infection but had already injected me with 3.5 teaspoons of numbing stuff in 8 shots and said she wouldn't be able to numb me enough to cut me and I'd have to be peeled off the ceiling if she tried.

So it's antibiotics, pain pills, 600mg of ibprophen and Ice on my face - at least 24 hours on the pain pills but hopefully not longer and would be nice if it were shorter.

Colloidal silver could help with the infection. And if you don't want something like this to happen again I would strongly recommend NOT using fluoride toothpaste. I stopped using it several years ago and can not suggest getting off of it enough! Hope everything works out well for you Joe!

yep teeth hurt when there's somehing wrong...i would just continue to ice it, take some NSAIDs and some oxys. you'll be aight.

get well soon man!

Yeah mouth pain is the worst. I get canker sores every once in a while and sometimes 2-3 at a time. Not sure if it's from stress or what but it makes everything miserable.

And thats nothing compared to what your going through.

My wife researched on the web and took what was the most common amoung the different concoctions and this is what she gave me to get me thru the night:

All from Young living essential oils
2 drops thieves
2 drops frankincense
2 drops pan away
Mix together with qtip and rub on infected tooth. It's going to taste terrible but it does the trick.

Tooth doesn't hurt so much as my face, I have a literal knot on my cheek bone the size of half an egg from the infection.

Hurts like holy hell and the pain killers are barely touching it.

Keeping cold packs on it non stop and waiting for the antibiotics to kick in and work.

Tooth doesn't hurt so much as my face, I have a literal knot on my cheek bone the size of half an egg from the infection.

Hurts like holy hell and the pain killers are barely touching it.

Keeping cold packs on it non stop and waiting for the antibiotics to kick in and work.
You need to reduce the inflammation Joe. You're getting "sympathetic nerve pain" on top of it all.
That's why ibuprofen is effective, it knocks down the inflammation.

You need to reduce the inflammation Joe. You're getting "sympathetic nerve pain" on top of it all.
That's why ibuprofen is effective, it knocks down the inflammation.

Doc has me on 600mg of ibuprofen every 6 hours.

Start with a large tumbler of good quality vodka. Drink quickly. Put Clove oil on cotton and pack the broken tooth. That should get you through the night.

I've heard clove oil is what all the dentists topicals are built with.

Tooth is cleaned out and temp filled.

I over shot my med time by a couple of hours and ended up with an ice pack and tears while waiting for the pain pillls to kick in.

This infection thing is no joke:(.

Keeping ice on it almost 24/7.

You certainly have my sympathy, not that it will do anything to ease the pain. Like you I avoided dentists like the plague until I was in my late twenty's and am now paying the price. Many extractions and crowns. Had a crown come off last Thursday night and had to have what was left of the tooth prepped for a new $1050 crown today. I can't afford to lose any more teeth if I want to be able to chew so I told him to do whatever was necessary to save it. On the bright side my current dentist is great. Didn't feel pain anywhere except my wallet.

Hi Joe13, sounds like you would be best off getting them pulled and a set of dentures, I almost did a few months ago, but instead paid 2600$ for a Partial, out of pocket, was quoted 1100.
Most of us have a dental nightmare to relate, I went 4 years with an infected Molar, funny thing is, I pulled it myself and it took two seconds to yard it out, some antiB's and I felt much better in about a week. Don't mess around with infected gums, it can be deadly real fast. I'll pray for you to recover fast.

three-stooges-wallpapers.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads