JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
some rope and some leverage.

Attachments

• 984F4F32-A5FE-4ED0-BD23-D7833DF0EFFF.jpeg
    984F4F32-A5FE-4ED0-BD23-D7833DF0EFFF.jpeg
    63.2 KB · Views: 136
During med courses and dental school, these two books helped me with the concepts of personal care. Of course you would need to jimmy rig some tools together but for the most part, you can have the same education as a Doctor but just don't sue me if you mess yourself up. I would still keep a Doctor and Dentist within my network of friends. If not at least a registered nurse or a certified nursing assistant.

This. I own both books and if I ever have to run for the hills, bet your bubblegum both books are coming with me.

Back in the old days, you'd often just die. A common cause of death was simply annotated as "teeth" by the undertaker.

Truth! Back in the day I had the opportunity to see documents from the 1500's, London, and one was a book of tabulations of deaths by cause. Hand written, was either a gov or church doc. Don't remember if they were daily, weekly, whatever, but probably daily. Each page had many lines, each line with a description: drowning, fall, stabbing, etc, followed by a number - the number of folks who died from it. Again, don't remember much specifically except for one feature. The number on each line was either blank, or a single digit.

Except one line, on pretty much every page the number was never blank and almost always two digits. That was the line with the reason "Teeth".

19th century shtf situation, will almost necessarily demand 19th century solutions... Grab the channel locks and start yanking.
[UUOTE]

This may, or may not, have been posted in jest, but yes, I have done just that, thankfully not on myself, for some emergency dental work that needed doing. I remember reading the story of a guy in Alaska who had a bad/broken tooth who ended up taking a knife and cutting the gums open and then prying the broken off tooth root out. Also something I would not care to do on myself.

I've known a few impoverished people who had no money for such care. Emergency or not. These people had dental issues and they just learned to live with the pain and discomfort until the tooth festered enough to fall out. Or be easily plucked out with the fingers. Yes, there are systemic infections that can result from dental issues. Like cardiac problems. People with no money don't worry about it so much. They have other existential concerns. Until they don't.

These days, there are local government programs for getting dental care for poor people. But there are the usual quantities of red tape, finding professionals who will participate in the program, and long waiting lists. Way better than nothing for people with no money. Some poor people just don't have the tolerance for even these obstacles.

Proper dental care is a luxury for a large segment of the population. Obamacare doesn't cover any dental. If you are financially well-off, you can afford to pay privately. A relatively small segment of the population has decent paid dental care, such as police officers, teachers and maybe the Boeing Company. The truly poor can sign up for care on the dole. There are a whole bunch of people in the middle who work, don't have that much money, and typically have no effective dental care. Dental treatment is expensive. There are a lot of "plans" out there that sound like dental coverage, but are so limited as to annual payouts, co-pays, limits to individual procedures, etc., as to be almost worthless. At least they cover routine cleaning.

I've got pretty good medical care through Kaiser Permanente Wash. I kept it through my employer when I retired. Even though I'm signed up for Medicare now, I still keep the Kaiser coverage. BUT: Like most other plans and insurance, teeth are not part of the human body when it comes to coverage.

SHTF situation, I think people would just have to grin and bear it or go the Channel-Lock route.

I've known a few impoverished people who had no money for such care. Emergency or not. These people had dental issues and they just learned to live with the pain and discomfort until the tooth festered enough to fall out. Or be easily plucked out with the fingers. Yes, there are systemic infections that can result from dental issues. Like cardiac problems. People with no money don't worry about it so much. They have other existential concerns. Until they don't.

These days, there are local government programs for getting dental care for poor people. But there are the usual quantities of red tape, finding professionals who will participate in the program, and long waiting lists. Way better than nothing for people with no money. Some poor people just don't have the tolerance for even these obstacles.

Proper dental care is a luxury for a large segment of the population. Obamacare doesn't cover any dental. If you are financially well-off, you can afford to pay privately. A relatively small segment of the population has decent paid dental care, such as police officers, teachers and maybe the Boeing Company. The truly poor can sign up for care on the dole. There are a whole bunch of people in the middle who work, don't have that much money, and typically have no effective dental care. Dental treatment is expensive. There are a lot of "plans" out there that sound like dental coverage, but are so limited as to annual payouts, co-pays, limits to individual procedures, etc., as to be almost worthless. At least they cover routine cleaning.

I've got pretty good medical care through Kaiser Permanente Wash. I kept it through my employer when I retired. Even though I'm signed up for Medicare now, I still keep the Kaiser coverage. BUT: Like most other plans and insurance, teeth are not part of the human body when it comes to coverage.

SHTF situation, I think people would just have to grin and bear it or go the Channel-Lock route.
Troof!
Dental is like all the other medical stuff that has gotten way, way, WAY over priced by big pharma for what it actually is, us normal folk cannot afford it, so learn to deal with it as it comes. I have had to use the dental clinics for emrgencies, and even that was expensive as hell! Went to Germany and got several procedures done while visiting, and they cost less then 1/4 what it would have cost me here! The care wasn't too bad, and the drugs were super cheap, but good!

Went to Germany and got several procedures done while visiting, and they cost less then 1/4 what it would have cost me here

In Germany, my impression was that dentists are more numerous than they are here. I just looked it up, per 100,000 people, in Germany there are 86 dentists, here in the US, 61. So there are more in Germany but the difference isn't outlandish. Some dental care in Germany is covered by public insurance. Which may tend to keep costs down. Under public insurance, two exams and cleanings per year and basic fillings are covered. If you have kept up with these requirements, further treatment may be authorized under public insurance. Dental care in Germany is considered on the expensive side in Europe.

In our hemisphere, people looking for discounted dental care head south. Costa Rica and some parts of Mexico are known to be centers of low-cost treatment for US citizens. My thinking on this is, procedures that tend to be very expensive are the ones you need to see the dentist for in multiple sessions. Like endodontics, implants, and oral surgeries. So a patient doing this either buys multiple plane tickets or takes a long vacation.

I had an emergency dental issue come up in Barbados. Significantly less expensive there, but it involved oral surgery and I chose the course of antibiotics until I returned home. The antibiotics will stave the issue off for weeks or months.

1) "Start using meth! because all their teeth rot off and they dont seem to care."
The Wehrmacht and Luftwaffe did a lot of research in the field of how amphetamines can improve performance. The allies did too, in addition to Pemoline (trade name Cylert).
You can use it when you really need to stay awake and it also helps when you need to be nasty and belligerent.
In the absence of law & order speed would be a valuable trade commodity, as would any number of things that run afoul of THE LAW but would prove useful under the conditions.

2) dental emergency SHTF kit
See Bumfights for improvised self-extractions. :eek:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top