JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Thanksgiving was interesting at our place this year. Monday before the big day I noticed a pain in my lower jaw that did not respond to my regular treatments of dental floss, water pick and Jack Daniels rinses. Ended up having an emergency root canal procedure the day before Thanksgiving. :( Thanks to my Dentist I was able to take part in the Holiday feast. Got me to thinking! What if professional dental care as we know it was not available? I would be here with a banging awful tooth ache still with no relief in sight. Haven't read much about this issue and was now curious what others might have planned in such a case. We do have a limited number of dental tools for use in an emergency but... what if? Several days post recovery now and am pain free again thankfully. Seems like in a grid down situation, with no available dental professionals, we could all be stuck in a 17th century world. What to do? Sounds like before high speed drills extracting the tooth was the only option. I don't know how to do that especially for molars. :confused: Thanks for any input you might be willing to share.

19th century shtf situation, will almost necessarily demand 19th century solutions... Grab the channel locks and start yanking.

curly 002.jpg

During med courses and dental school, these two books helped me with the concepts of personal care. Of course you would need to jimmy rig some tools together but for the most part, you can have the same education as a Doctor but just don't sue me if you mess yourself up. I would still keep a Doctor and Dentist within my network of friends. If not at least a registered nurse or a certified nursing assistant.

IF you have Percocet ( spelling) that will go a long ways to helping with the pain, might be a day of two of discomfort,, but it should take the edge off until you can get more professional care! I always try and save out from my scripts, this way I have a better chance of having something when I really need it!

During med courses and dental school, these two books helped me with the concepts of personal care. Of course you would need to jimmy rig some tools together but for the most part, you can have the same education as a Doctor but just don't sue me if you mess yourself up. I would still keep a Doctor and Dentist within my network of friends. If not at least a registered nurse or a certified nursing assistant.

Two of my tenants are dentists, lol. Always trying to give me free services.

I've posted about this before. I urge people to get your wisdom teeth pulled NOW and to make sure your teeth are in good order annually. An once of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I'm due to go again soon on account of some discomfort on my right side periodically.

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"

Most dental problems are preventable, trauma being the exception.

Prevent your issues. The military and the LDS church screen people who are "deployable" and anyone that could have an issue within around a two year period gets their stuff fixed. Don't let it get to a bad point to begin with.

Don't eat a sugary diet. Maintain a good prevention program. Yes, the old brush, floss and smile routine. It's not that difficult. I haven't seen any posts of runs on toothpaste and dental floss. Hell, a dental exam may cost less than a brick of 5.56 or 9mm nowadays...

I'm ordering the book posted earlier and will try to post my thoughts on it.

El Dentista

^^ this times 100^^

and speaking as a Brit, regular checkups and cleaning so that if S does HTF, you're at least starting off in better shape.
Most of us know ehn something starts to feel off with a tooth, but we ignore it until it's becomes too painful or too rank to ignore- Do not do that ! Instead of hoping it'll get better by itself or with a swirl liquor mouthwash- go get it sorted.

I've been thinking about this for years, and happen to have also had an emergency root canal a few months ago. All I can say is an off-grid dentist with anesthesia will be a very in-demand individual in this situation. I do have a basic emergency dental travel kit but it only helps for minor issues.

I read an account many years ago about a woman who was having terrible tooth pain but had no access to a dentist. As I recall, she twisted a wire around the offending tooth and then stood on a stool to attach it to a rafter. When she stepped down, the tooth was pulled out. The account said she felt much better after that.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top