Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Dent on primer

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by FA9, Sep 30, 2014.

1. FA9

FA9 Hillsburrito, ORgun Well-Known Member

This is for an ar15. I put a round in the chamber by releasing the bolt, and extracted the cartridge right after. I noticed a tiny dent on the primer. Is that normal??

photo_14.jpg

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  2. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say no...

U201491 likes this.
  3. Capn Jack

Capn Jack Wet-Stern Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

It's perfectly normal for an AR 15 to make a small dent, as the fireing pin floats.
    The design does require you to keep the your bolt clean and clean primer pockets during reloading to prevent "Slam Fires" due to high primers. :D

Some reloaders stear clear of Federal primers when reloading for the AR as they are known to have softer than most cup material.

4. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

Strange. I have had Colts, Bushmasters, and Ruger SR's and none ever put a dent in any primer prior to actual firing. That would be extremely unnerving.
    I have looked and it seems to be very common. I looked at the SR and there is a mark like a rub mark, but it is not a dent per se.
    With the thousands of rounds I have shot, I have never seen what I would call a dent, but there sure seem to be a lot that do.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  5. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Totally normal

Never chamber the same round twice, unless it's to fire. This isn't to prevent NDs (though it's a small possibility) but to prevent the primer from being damaged to the point that it WONT fire when you need it to. Cycle chambered rounds to the bottoms of other magazines

ZA_Survivalist and FA9 like this.
  6. FA9

FA9 Hillsburrito, ORgun Well-Known Member

7. rutilate

rutilate Vancouver and Surrounds Active Member

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  8. Doc In UPlace

Doc In UPlace Tacoma-ish Well-Known Member

It is normal in my Colt 6920, regardless of the ammo.

9. trevoro

trevoro Coastal range Member

Yep. It's totally normal. ARs don't have a firing pin spring to hold it back when the bolt closes. The dent is just the firing pin inertia striking the primer lightly as the bolt comes to a stop.

10. mike28w

mike28w Idaho ! Member

I noticed it when I bought my Ruger SR556 and then researched it on the internet. It sounds like it's not uncommon. I couldn't find a report of the firing pin actually hitting hard enough to fire the cartridge in an AR. But I have seen the results first hand of slam fire in an SKS ( I work in a hospital)....not pretty.

Nevertheless..... I installed a titanium firing pin ( it's lighter) and now it doesn't dent the primer and I feel better. Still want to point that baby in a safe direction ( just like all guns !! ).

PS: If I ever found a mod that allowed for a firing pin spring on an AR, I'd be all over it !! (Hint to clever machinists !)

11. chuck2669

chuck2669 Seattle Area New Member

Make sure that your ammo is using #41 primers and not small caliber rifle primers. The #41 primers have a heavier (Thicker) cup to prevent slam fires. #34 for 7.62 rounds...

ra glass and jbett98 like this.
  12. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

bubblegumz over a year old, bru.

13. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

They have made a lot of Ar's and M-16's with the standard firing pin.
    They are safe. And more importantly they work.

The mass of a titanium firing pin is less than a steel one. So you wont hit the primer now with as much force.

The hammer spring dose most of the work. So you should be OK.
    But if you get ammo with a little harder primer the gun may not fire.

If you totally remove the firing pin the gun will be extra safe!
    It just won't shoot.

My point is. Don't fix it till it's broke! ;)

Remember. The engineers that built the gun. Well.......... They were engineers.

A lot of people buy cool parts.
    Just keep in mind. All parts makers need to do is sell parts.

Gun makers need to make all the parts work together?

scrandall01215 likes this.
  14. mike28w

mike28w Idaho ! Member

Mr. Medic, I agree that one should be rather circumspect re: re-engineering.....That being said , I'm not sure that the M16/Ar platform is a particularly good posterchild for excellent engineering. Certainly there were some Vietnam vets that weren't impressed.

The M4/AR platform has certainly evolved since then....

If I were using an AR for self defense, I would stick with the steel firing pin....so in the end, we do agree.:) mike

Medic! likes this.
  15. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Yeabut what? Good luck trying to get a large rifle primer into a small rifle primer pocket.

titsonritz and Velzey like this.
  16. oli700

oli700 Rogue Valley Well-Known Member

that would be a change in the gun powder from a clean burning stick powder that the AR15 was designed around to a spherical powder with heavy calcium carbonate, the new powder also was a faster burn causing premature unlocking of the system leading to breakages, usually the bolt lugs.....after the rifle was proven, the rifle is a genius deign that went 80,000 flawless rounds in the proving
    The Army treated the symptoms instead of the illness and added a forward assist getting solders into worse trouble......finally the powder was fixed

titsonritz likes this.
  17. mike28w

mike28w Idaho ! Member

"That was then , this is now" I can't argue with that...........................mike

18. ra glass

ra glass pullman Member

If you are reloading, USE THE WHITE BOX CCI PRIMERS ONLY. These are made for the military. DO Not use any other primers for AR style weapons. This will still happen with the CCI primers. It's just the way it is, the firing pin floats. One of the best,and easiest weapons to work on.

19. oli700

oli700 Rogue Valley Well-Known Member

never have I loaded #41 for AR......thousands . In fact no one I shoot with uses them , never a problem

20. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

I wonder what all primers Nato/military/factory loads use? Guaranteed it's not "THE WHITE BOX CCI PRIMERS ONLY". feh