JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Did you read the entirety of 166.291?

I'd advocate for a lawyer as well, but I think you are probably SOL. Law is pretty clear that any drug program, aside from a one time marijuana charge/program, is grounds for denial.

Just checking back on the thread and I agree with this guy. Reading the full statute it appears that you were legally denied. That said, I think it's BS. One more way to disarm people one by one. Next if you've ever drank alcohol you will be classified as a raging alcoholic, barred from guns.:rolleyes:

That makes me wonder though, does this make you ineligible to posses at all or just carry concealed?

I think they are getting more anal. My first chl went through fast . I let it lapse, renewed and while under review went to purchase a new plastic Sig. They put me on a hold. I challenged it and they were looking over 30 years back at bs charges that were dropped. Was approved 2 days later and chl showed up in an open envelope. Sign of the times perhaps?
If you though the charges were dropped and didn't mean to lie. I get the frustration. Otherwise ya, lawer up.

How do you know I didn't retain one?
I know I sound unhinged but this thread coming back at this moment is very strange.

Anyway, It doesn't matter because I read the law, before my CHL paperwork, and I am in the right.

I'm sacrificing alot even by fighting. I have consulted with an attorney and whether I win or lose, I'm defending my rights.

I know I sound unhinged but this thread coming back at this moment is very strange.

Anyway, It doesn't matter because I read the law, before my CHL paperwork, and I am in the right.

I'm sacrificing alot even by fighting. I have consulted with an attorney and whether I win or lose, I'm defending my rights.

Fight the good fight.....Screw these Communists

Well, maybe just a little. And, you do know, someone doesn't have to admit to being a government agent if asked. Its totally legal to lie and say you aren't and the information gathered is still 100% admissible.

Ha I know. It's a classic shill move: "What?you're paranoid." Even though I called him a shill and not a cop. Which if he was a cop isn't a bad thing! I like cops. We need more of them in Portland.

However, I'm sure he just totally came upon this thread organically *wink*.

I'm not trying to hide or lie or win on a technicality. I just want the sheriff's to follow the law.

This whole thing is a big blow to me personally. On one hand I could let it go and no one would know. On the other, my civil liberties are being infringed upon, which sucks.

Ha I know. It's a classic shill move: "What?you're paranoid." Even though I called him a shill and not a cop. Which if he was a cop isn't a bad thing! I like cops. We need more of them in Portland.

However, I'm sure he just totally came upon this thread organically *wink*.

I'm not trying to hide or lie or win on a technicality. I just want the sheriff's to follow the law.

This whole thing is a big blow to me personally. On one hand I could let it go and no one would know. On the other, my civil liberties are being infringed upon, which sucks.
I wish you good luck. A word of advice if you do win. Make sure your lawyer follows up with the paperwork after the whole ordeal is over. I've had several instances of people coming into my shop to buy guns, having had prior criminal issues supposedly settled by the courts, only to find out they are still denied because some clerk never filed the paperwork or documented it correctly. One poor guy got denied, PD showed up, he showed them the paperwork, they said yeah you're good, called OSP, they gave him the greenlight, then he got denied AGAIN. Granted I know this is related to CHL, but still, same bubblegumty court system.

OP, be sure to follow up in this thread with the final outcome. If you get denied, all is not lost. If a carry permit is that important to you, can you relocate to a more friendly state? Also, can you get an out of state permit that is recognized in Oregon? Like I said before, I think these kind of laws are BS. Designed to disarm people, one little bit at a time. Pretty soon we will all be denied because government surveillance shows we once bought Tylenol at RiteAid. :rolleyes:

Constitution No say you need no stinking permit.....
We%20dont%20need%20no%20stinking%20forms_zps8yn6kms1.jpg
I've carried since I was 17 except while I was in the Army.
Never had a problem or a permit

Earlier this week, I obtained my license. See the attached photo as proof.

This issue was settled before going to court. A lawyer for Multnomah County agreed with me about the law and was successful in getting me to drop the case. This victory is bittersweet. On one hand, I received my license but I didn't set a precedent for others to easily reference. I hope to do that with this post.

Here is the issue at hand: The statue ORS 166.291 is written in a way that limits the scope of the law to marijuana drug diversions. I believe this was done so to allow people who have had had a DUI Diversion not be subject to losing their license. This isn't a loophole. It's written this way to stop drug dealers from being allowed to have a concealed weapon while selling after being caught multiple times.

Thanks for your help guys, especially those who recommended attorneys, it really did help.

chl.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads