JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Last Dec 3rd, I went to pickup a Kimber that I had ordered on Gun Broker. I used a local FFL that I knew well.
I have always been delayed and even denied a UPIN # when I applied in 2011.
So when I filled in the 4473 for the FFL , I joked "see you in 3 days"...He stopped me leaving saying I had been DENIED...:eek:..(This was the day after San Bernidino shootings).
Then I found out the NICS had ceased doing Denial investigations.:oops: Naturally I sent in my fingerprints and requested the reason for denial, and got a letter back 3 weeks later listing almost everything that you mark NO on the 4473. (Not much help) :(
I knew from 2011 the reason for denial was 2 arrests decades before that showed no disposition. When back in 2011 I checked about having attorneys clear them is was several thousand $$, so I was content to just accept the wait.
I currently hold CCW in WA, OR, NV and UT, and they did not have a problem with my background.
I wrote letters to AZ and CA asking them for my criminal background, they both came back negative. I them appealed there findings, and included the FBI printout showing the arrest.
I took about 4 months of patience before they responded (they were also very nice when I called them and asked about progress). Finally I got letters back showing they had a disposition showing all charges had been dismissed, and the FBI notified. CA even showed I had a CWP???? (That was 30 years ago).
BUT NICS was still not even considering a years back log of Denial appeals.
Next step was to contact my Congressman Dave Riechter. (He was an old LEO, and pro 2nd Amendment), explained the history what I had done, and all I wanted was for NICS to re-run my background now that new data was entered.
4 weeks letter I got a letter from NICS to proceed with purchase.
At the same time I ask my Congressman to help, I again applied for a UPIN #
2 weeks after I got my Proceed letter, I received a UPIN #.

Long post, but I wanted to document how "our" government can really screw thins up, but not accept them as the final word. Find a way to win, as I did . NICS will not respond to a citizen, but will to request for Congressmen. :)

You are lucky, that is a pretty minor fight. Mine has been going on for maybe 6 years and I have spent around $10,000 on lawyers. I have got mine "fixed" half a dozen times only to be again denied during a new transaction. I am currently suing the FBI because of the ongoing problems.

You are lucky, that is a pretty minor fight. Mine has been going on for maybe 6 years and I have spent around $10,000 on lawyers. I have got mine "fixed" half a dozen times only to be again denied during a new transaction. I am currently suing the FBI because of the ongoing problems.

I was positive that there was no legal reason to deny me. Not even close. Sometime A type personalities clash, (as are may LEO's). You cannot keep somebody from arresting you, but I had never gone to trial. So my cost were just patience and pushing forward to get this resolved.
Sort of tempted to find an excuse to buy something just to see what happens now??

Some of those "temped to see" have turned out very expensive for me. I fight every one, I feel like I have no choice. I had one .22 pistol that if you take into account attorney fees cost me several thousand dollars :)

Every time I win, I have no doubt about my status. I even have certified letter from the FBI stating I am not a prohibited person. I still would bet there is a better chance than not that any new transaction will get a deny.

Once I get to Idaho and can get an enhanced Idaho carry card it wont be as big of issue as if you hold one you dont have to do a NCIC's check at the time of purchase.

2002 I had to go to the ATF and FBI Office in Anchorage to get a denial straightened out .
I got a letter a week later from the FBI stating that I'm good to go.

I have a 07/02 and if I go to a gun store here in Oregon with out my FFL in hand the OSP Retards still deny my purchase.

Figure that one out..:confused: F-n Retard's

With your attitude I'd deny you too!!

2002 I had to go to the ATF and FBI Office in Anchorage to get a denial straightened out .

I have a 07/02 and if I go to a gun store here in Oregon with out my FFL in hand the OSP Retards still deny my purchase.

Hah that sucks man. Your name John Smith or something? Have you tried using that UPIN option on the 4473?

BUT NICS was still not even considering a years back log of Denial appeals.
Next step was to contact my Congressman Dave Riechter. (He was an old LEO, and pro 2nd Amendment), explained the history what I had done, and all I wanted was for NICS to re-run my background now that new data was entered.
4 weeks letter I got a letter from NICS to proceed with purchase.
At the same time I ask my Congressman to help, I again applied for a UPIN #
2 weeks after I got my Proceed letter, I received a UPIN #.

So this is actually something quite important here... All of your congresspeople have a department called "constituent services", and anything that you really need done at the federal level is something you can do through this office. You will usually at least get an answer, if not satisfaction.

In most cases, nearly every one of your elected reps has someone who does this. It's an important tool if you find yourself caught in a bureaucratic morass.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top