JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Being the cynic I am, I feel like this will simply tell the few dishonest rampers what bags are worth getting into. Rampers are generally too busy to bother rifling through baggage, but if there's a tag that screams GUN IN HERE, the more nefarious ones might do a quick grab.

It would be easy to do it without being seen and away from any cameras. Their biggest problem would be concealing the box that the gun is locked in. Rifles are probably pretty safe for this reason, but a small enough pistol box might be able to be slipped inside rain gear or big jackets.

TSA is generally my bigger worry for stealing from baggage, they have much more time that rampers do, and they have the master keys that render locks irrelevant (though you don't use a TSA lock on a gun box). They also wouldn't have the same concealing issues as rampers, but it's probably harder for them to have access to bags away from cameras.

Basically, I think that the biggest defense against stolen guns on baggage is that only a very few people know it's there. Delta's new policy removes that protection, I think it's a bad idea.

The new guidelines you are referring to have always been in place. I checked rifles all the time when I fly out to Texas, they always go through a special procedure and when you get off the plane there is a airline representative waiting next to baggage claim with your check firearm. You must then show ID before they will release the firearm.

Also when you check a firearm, you open the case for TSA and then lock it up with your own locks before getting on the plane, they would have to cut the locks to get into it after you have gone through their process.

I would check a pistol in a huge rifle case , makes it harder for someone "TSA" to walk off with it if your worried about that.

Firearms never go on the baggage Carousel.
Being the cynic I am, I feel like this will simply tell the few dishonest rampers what bags are worth getting into. Rampers are generally too busy to bother rifling through baggage, but if there's a tag that screams GUN IN HERE, the more nefarious ones might do a quick grab.

It would be easy to do it without being seen and away from any cameras. Their biggest problem would be concealing the box that the gun is locked in. Rifles are probably pretty safe for this reason, but a small enough pistol box might be able to be slipped inside rain gear or big jackets.

TSA is generally my bigger worry for stealing from baggage, they have much more time that rampers do, and they have the master keys that render locks irrelevant (though you don't use a TSA lock on a gun box). They also wouldn't have the same concealing issues as rampers, but it's probably harder for them to have access to bags away from cameras.

Basically, I think that the biggest defense against stolen guns on baggage is that only a very few people know it's there. Delta's new policy removes that protection, I think it's a bad idea.

This is why I forgo all of the secrecy crap when I travel with firearms and travel with large Pelican hard sided cases to lock up all of my gear and not have to worry about any of it. If I was flying with other stuff I cared about I would still take a firearm if I could just to be able to lock the entire thing up.

I might re-evaluate it if I was only taking my CC but I have been finding shooting classes to take while I'm on vacation so I end up taking a lot of gear and ammo. I have been taking a Pelican Air 1615 suitcase with my handgun and all of my shooting gear and a Pelican 1700 with my rifle and anything else I can fit in there. It's always a challenge to keep them both under 50 pounds.

Firearms never go on the baggage Carousel.
My Pelican Air 1615 with large shrouded padlocks ended up on the carousel in Detroit 2 weeks ago. My Pelican 1700 "rifle" case came out of oversized baggage like they are supposed to.

That should have never happen, I would have walked over to TSA and filed a complaint.
This is why I forgo all of the secrecy crap when I travel with firearms and travel with large Pelican hard sided cases to lock up all of my gear and not have to worry about any of it. If I was flying with other stuff I cared about I would still take a firearm if I could just to be able to lock the entire thing up.

I might re-evaluate it if I was only taking my CC but I have been finding shooting classes to take while I'm on vacation so I end up taking a lot of gear and ammo. I have been taking a Pelican Air 1615 suitcase with my handgun and all of my shooting gear and a Pelican 1700 with my rifle and anything else I can fit in there. It's always a challenge to keep them both under 50 pounds.

My Pelican Air 1615 with large shrouded padlocks ended up on the carousel in Detroit 2 weeks ago. My Pelican 1700 "rifle" case came out of oversized baggage like they are supposed to.

Baggage carousel has nothing to do with it. Who do you think handles your bag from the time you check it until you pick it back up, regardless of where that is? Rampers.

There's a smattering of TSA and a customer service agent occasionally (who might be cross-utilized and really a ramper anyway), maybe a pilot if something unusual happens, but it's mostly rampers.

Sorry, late to this party. Just a couple of points. I haven't flown with firearms with Delta, but with Southwest and American your guns DO go on the carrousel (at least if they are inside your luggage). I'm likely up to 100 flights with guns now at about 12 different airports, leaving out of PDX. The only time they held my bag was on Alaska and that was because they saw a TSA lock on the outer bag...there was no firearm inside but they advised this was there policy. (Because of the lock.) There may be some airports that hold them (as noted above) but none of the dozen or so places I have flown into has, I though one was Dallas Love but I'm not positive.

If your guns are in a hard sided case inside your other luggage TSA should not be having you open the inner case. They can ask if needed, has happened to me twice, but fairly rare. TSA agents have advised me they should have a supervisor do this (they told me it was required by their policy). If you have guns in a hard case with no other case they yes, they will have you open it to place the firearms card inside.

I don't have any perks with Delta so I try not to fly them anyway. Hope this helps.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top