JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Is there a way to tell the difference between a chrome lined barrel and a chromoly steel barrel? I am looking for a Ar-15 carbine but I would like to find one with a chromoly barrel.
Thanks

chrome barrel is obvious chrome.
a chromoly barrel will be blacker without the high shine.more of a steel look.
i wouldn't get the crome barrel either,less accurate...they last forever in full auto but not so good for accuracy in semi auto.

Is there a way to tell the difference between a chrome lined barrel and a chromoly steel barrel? I am looking for a Ar-15 carbine but I would like to find one with a chromoly barrel.
Thanks

It may be stamped on the barrel. CL means Chrome lined. A CL barrel is not shinny chrome like bumper chrome, it has a semi shinny appearance. Look at the chamber.

The accuracy difference between a CL and non CL barrel is way over blown on the internet. 90% of shooters could not tell the difference. A well made CL barrel well out shoot a not so well made non CL barrel.

Here's one for ya.....chrome-lined are still chromoly....

As said, most lined barrels will be marked "CL"....IIRC, other than the stainless, all barrels are chromoly steel.

ETA...

What year Colt? You'll run into take down pin size and BCG issues depending on when it was made.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top