JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I went in today to purchase a new pistol. First one Through a retailer. I hold a CPL through WA State, and am confused by the NICS check. I was under the impression that we we exempt when we have a CPL. Any Ideas on this?

I went in today to purchase a new pistol. First one Through a retailer. I hold a CPL through WA State, and am confused by the NICS check. I was under the impression that we we exempt when we have a CPL. Any Ideas on this?
I can't say that I ever tried to purchase on a Sunday, but with my CC permit I have been able to make the purchase and walk out with the handgun.

According to the ATF, a Washington CPL should be good for a substitute for a NICS check but Washington state requires a check. With CPL and a proceed, you can walk with it the same day.

As far as the delay, there's no point in trying to figure it unless there is a reason that you know of.

A few years ago ... If you had a then current WA state CPL you did not to go through a background check of any kind for any gun.

Then the rule changed , can't remember the year.

Now if you have a valid WA CPL if pass the NICS check you can leave with the handgun the same day.
As said above what the ATF says and what Washington state says is at odds.
Delays are often difficult to fathom...
Andy

New law, CPL or not...NICS check on pistol buy. I bought one in October before finding out I had to move to Kali.....:mad: I had CPL and still the gal took it and ran NICS while I filled out the paperwork. As I previously stated, she did make me a nice cup of coffee as we went through the bubblegumming paper work. I did ride off with said smoke wagon and made my ferry back to the Rock by 5 minutes. But then I am a child of the King.:D

Kudos to Doc Holliday guns in LaConner WA.

Brutus Out

The bottom line is this. Even if you have a WA CPL you still have to have a NICS background check done. It has always been that way. Our CPL "could" be used in place of a NICS check but the legislature in WA has never approved legislation to allow it to do so. The CPL only waives the 5 or 10 day waiting period (can't remember which since the I-594 crap) for a handgun purchases. The delay could be for many reasons. Most likely they were busy and you got put in the do later pile randomly to lighten the number of check request at that time. Delays suck, I know.

As others said, the background check is mandatory CPL or not. After three business days, if there is no denial, the FFL is allowed (but not required) to complete the transfer.

There are a lot of denials based on common names, False positives is what they are called. It happens a lot more than you might think.

Did you put your SSN in on the NICS form?

If not you may have been matched to someone else...

When I google my name I have seen many blokes with the same name. funny part is I never show up in a google search. Just the other bastards do because I don't use social media.

Best to put your SSN in there if you want to ensure you don't get identified as someone else with the same name.

You still have to do NICS check even with CPL.
The CPL just lets you leave with the pistol the same day because it counts as CLEO signoff. Without it you have to wait.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top