JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not sure why but I was delayed today. Last gun I bought was instant approval and nothing has changed since then. The guy behind the counter was confused as well because it said I was delayed and approved but no approval number.

It said:
"Delayed by: DER 5/3/15
Notes:
Approved by: DER 5/3/15"

Did osp screw up and hit the wrong button or is this normal? They said they would call when it goes through but since there was no date given they had no idea when that would be.

OFF says it's due to FBI looking further into "domestic violence" and that "...if you are not DENIED, the State Police have NO authority to delay your purchase beyond the time of the close of business of the gun store, following the day the background check was first requested. "

I doubt Sportsman's Warehouse will follow that law unfortunately and I believe I'm up to OSP/FBI's whim on when this will be approved.

The guy at the state police made a mistake and hit the wrong button, you were approved. Go back to the store and have them call OSP and they will be given an approval number. This happens from time to time, the store should have known something was weird and called and talked to the operator.

The guy at the state police made a mistake and hit the wrong button, you were approved. Go back to the store and have them call OSP and they will be given an approval number. This happens from time to time, the store should have known something was weird and called and talked to the operator.

Unfortunately it was about 5 minutes before quitting time for them. The manager said he would wait for approval and call me. Hopefully that's tomorrow, but either way I've got another 2 hour round trip drive in store.

Just an update, OSP called me at 9am the next morning. They informed me that there was a minor error on their end that was fixed within 5 minutes, hence saying both delayed and approved. I had asked Sportsman's if there was a hotline they could call or a number I was supposed to call and they said "Nope, no number." I found it kind of odd that my first google search turned up with a number for me to call.

When I got OSP on the phone I specifically asked if they were supposed to call in this situation and the operator said yes. I asked if they were supposed to give me a number and she also said yes. OSP was completely polite, professional, and extremely apologetic. She informed me that should would also call the dealer and inform them of the mistakes they made. When the dealer finally called me they left a message simply saying I could come pick up the gun.

I called them back twice. I explained to them that I was pretty irritated that I had to make another 2 hour round trip drive and waste a bunch of gas because their gun counter was either misinformed or too lazy to make a phone call. She was apologetic, but said I would have to wait to talk to the store manager. I called back later and got a hunting manager that I had not dealt with yet. He informed me that OSP has in the past told him NOT to give out their number to people that were delayed, and sidestepped the issue of them not calling multiple times. I told him I was going to give him the opportunity to make things right because a 5 minute mistake on their part could have saved me time and gas.

In the end he ended up comping me for my expense and time. When I drove back he was on lunch and the guy that I dealt with was rude. He was short and obviously pissed that I called him and his buddies out on their screw up. When I got to talk to the manager he was also quite short with me and obviously irritated that I was giving him my business. I was originally going to call the store manager and inform them, but I'm just going to talk with my $$$.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top