Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

delayed firearms purchase.

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by LaGrand22, Feb 5, 2014.

1. LaGrand22

LaGrand22 la grande New Member

I went to purchase my first firearm in Oregon, alMost two months ago and was delayed.I have not been contacted in the last month by any body and have just been told to wait had any one ever had to wait that long for a purchase.all I want to do is be a law abiding citizen.

2. bnsaibum

bnsaibum Corvallis, OR Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

DELAYED OR DENIED FOR A FIREARM'S PURCHASE? - Oregon Firearms Federation

Is it legal for you to purchase or possess a firearm?

If it is, write to the Oregon Senate Judiciary Committee and your State Senator and House Representative with your story. You will find many current threads here with their addresses and ways to contact them. The above link has some good options as well.

3. accessbob

accessbob Molalla, OR 2A Supporter

Where did you purchase from? Some businesses actually follow the law and allow the firearm to be released after the 3 business day period has elapsed on a hold, which is allowed by law. That's why I like the Clackamas Gun Broker because they do follow that. In fact they tell you as much when you are delayed (as I was one time out of many gun purchases).

4. dlurvey

dlurvey Aloha, Oregon Member

I was delayed for 51 weeks. For some reason the OSP couldn't get records from the state where I grew up, I least that's what they said initially. Every time I called, I got a different reason. After about the 4 or 5 call each with a different BS excuse, I gave up. Then out of nowhere Keith's called and said I was finally approved. It was a happy day for me.

5. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Oh man that sucks 51 weeks?!
    Shoot, file to get an NFA item.. It seems like with an NFA item in your name "wait times" or "delays" never happen.

6. dlurvey

dlurvey Aloha, Oregon Member

I kinda of now like the idea of being off the grid and not on a registry somewhere because of a purchase I made.

7. wakejoe

wakejoe Beaverton, OR Well-Known Member

Keith's waited 51 weeks? What a bean pole. Forget that place.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

8. bnsaibum

bnsaibum Corvallis, OR Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

If you haven't done so, tell your representative and the entire Senate Judiciary committee.

9. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Fair enough.
    However, if you own a smart phone or even an account on any social networking site.. Its already too late.
    And lord help'ya if you like any firearm related stuff on said social network site.

I purchase ammo online, thus they already had me.
    That and my draco was begging to be SBRd.

It does help with my other FFL purchases though.

10. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

It's a good possibility that he paid for it before they did the background check.

11. wakejoe

wakejoe Beaverton, OR Well-Known Member

So? Give the man his gun.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

12. LaGrand22

I dont know what it's taking so long I've been arrested for disorderly conduct but that has been taken care of and does not disqualify me. I feel like I'm being violated due to process

13. LaGrand22

The town I live in is small and has 3 shops none will sell to me after 3 days I feel like they might not be so willing to based on my ethnicity I'm black but not good in any way it's not right for me to be judged so easily but it happens :(

14. Don H

Don H Oregon Well-Known Member

Well that ain't right! Have you thought about getting a concealed carry permit? It won't make up for bigotry but it might help avoid being hassled and delayed. If those shops are treating you like that then you should go elsewhere or order online. Sorry to hear about that.

15. RK600

RK600 SW WA Active Member

I would suspect that your previous arrest is the issue for you not receiving your hand gun yet. You may have been arrested for disorderly conduct but what was the final conviction? Certain misdemeanors will prohibit you from buying a gun in Oregon. Are you absolutely sure it was "taken care of"?

For example, any of these convictions will throw a flag in the system:

You Must Not Have Been Convicted or Found Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity During
    the Previous Four Years for the Following Misdemeanors:

Assault 4th Degree
    Menacing
    Recklessly Endangering

Strangulation
    Intimidation 2nd Degree

If it's on your record, from a post here in 2012, it can cause issues with you purchasing a gun. The quote and link to that thread are here:

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/le...onduct-i-charge-oregon-can-i-buy-firearm.html

16. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

The two are independent of each other, you still have to deal with the background check if you have a CHL. The background check is State and the CHL is county. You'd think they would see it and it may clear up some confusion and in some cases it might, but you can find instances here where legal CHL holders were delayed. He needs to contact OSP and find out why, then post here as I am wondering.

17. LaGrand22

it's just so off putting that there isn't a better way for the information to be transferred I call osp and they take almost a week to call back and say they are waiting for paper Work. Hire long does that really take yeah know.

18. RK600

RK600 SW WA Active Member

Have you called Patricia with OFF? If not, you should give it a shot. To request information about a delay or denial call Patricia Whitfield 503 934 2305. We cannot guarantee you will get an answer. If you want more information on challenging a denial, down load this letter from the Oregon State Police. Attached at the end is an explanation of how you can challenge a denial.

Then go read here if you haven't already: DELAYED OR DENIED FOR A FIREARM'S PURCHASE? - Oregon Firearms Federation

19. BlindedByScience

BlindedByScience Vancouver WA Well-Known Member

20. gaijinsamurai

gaijinsamurai Beaverton Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

This happened to me yesterday, and I am livid!

I am an honorably discharged veteran, no record of drugs, mental illness, or domestic violence. Worst thing on my record are traffic violations, all paid, and none recent. Just four days ago I renewed my Oregon CHL, which required a background check, and did not have any issues. My last firearms background check was approximately six months ago, again, with no problems. I'm a life-long Oregon resident, only having resided in California and North Carolina while in the Marine Corps.
    Oregon State Police did not give a reason for the delay (until March 19th!), and my calls to their website's number have gone unanswered.

What part of "....shall not be infringed" do they not understand!?!?