JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I believe that the OSP will delay you after that time frame unless you expunge your record like I did.
They may well keep a record of every firearm transaction, but it's your criminal record that's holding you up, not how many guns you own.

Can't the shop transfer anyway after 3 business days? That is if you still want it. A deal is a deal? Respectfully.
The shop can transfer after a certain amount of time, but that puts liability on the FFL.

I sold an AR a couple of years ago, and the transfer was delayed two months! What a royal pain. I was contacted by the FFL a month into the delay, and they said they did not want to store the rifle any longer. I then contacted the purchaser and informed him that I was not a bank that can hold the $2,750.00 he paid for the rifle, indefinitely.

The transfer was eventually completed, but what drama!

It's only on the FFL cause they don't have unlimited resources like a government agency.
The law says they can release it after so many days.
Then the ATF can give them greef ? That's BS
But you have to go to battle over it,even though you followed the letter of the law.
Total BS

It's only on the FFL cause they don't have unlimited resources like a government agency.
The law says they can release it after so many days.
Then the ATF can give them greef ? That's BS
But you have to go to battle over it,even though you followed the letter of the law.
Total BS

It's not the ATF that can give them grief. It's families of the victims that can file a frivolous lawsuit against them in civil court. Even though it's frivolous, the cost of defending it could be brutal. Still BS though.

It is a law and many dealers don't want to obide by it, but after 3 days (business days ) there is no decision , the dealer can legally let you take possession of the weapon .
Don't believe me? look it up.

That would be the federal law. States have frequently (especially in our political mess that is the Pacific NW) decided to infringe additionally on our rights.

No FFL in Oregon lets the gun go without word from OSP. None want the liability.
Sorry to burst your bubble but after 3 business days if OSP has not made a decision the ffl can release the weapon to you without fear of repriseal.
I know this for a fact because it happened to me.
I had no idea of this little known loophole but my local shop informed me of the law.
About a week or so later I was approved .
So basically it's up to the ffl.

Sorry to burst your bubble but after 3 business days if OSP has not made a decision the ffl can release the weapon to you without fear of repriseal.
I know this for a fact because it happened to me.
I had no idea of this little known loophole but my local shop informed me of the law.
About a week or so later I was approved .
So basically it's up to the ffl.
Anecdote.

In which case from that point on, you would either pay up front or we wouldn't do business. Small shops don't always have the luxury of tolerating indecisive customers.

Case in point. I had a customer come in and agree to buy two guns I had on my shelf. We did the paperwork and he was delayed. Those guns then went into storage until the delay was concluded. I couldn't order more without the funds from their sale. I was a very small shop. After roughly 36 days, the customer was finally approved. After several attempts to call and a week plus of waiting, the customer finally called me to say he had gone to Fred Meyers and his check had gone through there, so he bought them there a few weeks prior. No call to me, nothing. So after all that, I lost almost two months of potential sales and the customer flaked. Sure the guns were able to go back out, so I wasn't out any real numbers, but how many sales could I have made in the meantime? It may not seem like much, but when you are small, every little sale helped.

People bubblegum and moan about the big boxing of America. They bemoan the loss of little groceries, hardware stores, and even gun shops. But if people simply put their money where their mouth was and shopped local, they could reverse the trend. But they don't. Frankly most people would drive 50 miles to save 5$ at a big box store without thought one on the consequence for the local business. I'm guilty of it myself. But comments like this show a complete ignorance or disregard for the struggles of small businesses.

I do shop local, and I pay when I buy. But I don't buy when I can't take it with me. To many crooked people out there. I have read many horror stories over the years, a few on this sight, about money paid and not getting the gun in the end.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top