JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Unless the rules have changed, it's (was?) allowed in Oregon. Oregon laws were parallel to the FED's 5 day rule. But few gun shops seem to want to "cross" ATF and release them, even if it's legally acceptable.

I don't think Oregon allows that?
It's a Fed thing, NICS has 5 days to call the dealer back, if not it's "shall issue".
If the dealer doesn't issue and waits for the NICS call, it will never come.
Went thru it when I lived in Wilsonville in '09
Could have changed since then.

CALL the dealer and ask, they deal with this crap everyday, we don't.
:s0092:
:D

All the more reason to get rid of NICS. FFL's should do the check if they choose, and frequent buyers can get a PIN assigned to expedite the process. Get government uninvolved with this unconstitutional practice.

If you keep getting delayed you can usually apply for a pin#, unfortunately to use the pin a supervisor has to speak with the FFL, which can take awhile--

My delay occurred in about 2012. Out of the blue, OSP instituted the delay. There were doing some deeper checks at the time (presumably because they were trying to turn around a reputation for lax-ness in their standards/checks). Funny thing is/was (well, not so funny to me), I was active duty LEO at the time with 20 yrs on and a house full of guns (that was before that horrible boating accident, of course). So here I am, active duty, and they (OSP) "delay" my app. I called and talked with 'em and was told they had to go through the motions. After 5 days, my dealer said he wouldn't release it to me (as the law allowed). They (ATF in this case) had done a pretty good job of bullying this guy around enough that he definitely didn't want to make waves or be a test case. So, 45 days later, it goes through and I finally got my product. I'm afraid it's only going to get worse. On a side note, they told me that after they cleared this up, a note would be attached to my name in the database showing the extra check and clearance, but after 4 years, that note would be purged and if things didn't change I'd have to go through it all over again. Something seems to have changed though, as a couple purchase in the last 2 yrs went through without delay.

Good luck.

I took a neighbor down to help him buy his first handgun so he could go get his carry permit. This was a couple years ago, so not during any run on gun stores. He did all the paperwork, and when they called it in he was told his purchase was on hold for 30 days. No criminal background, and not even a traffic ticket in over 30 years. No explanation why it was put on hold.
A month later still no call, so we went back to the store and they told us it would be automatically approved after 30 days since the state didn't say differently. But the kicker was he had to do the background check again because it's only good for 30 days! They called it in again, and it was approved immediately.
Shop owner said it happens occasionally, and never any explanation why.

I took a neighbor down to help him buy his first handgun so he could go get his carry permit. This was a couple years ago, so not during any run on gun stores. He did all the paperwork, and when they called it in he was told his purchase was on hold for 30 days. No criminal background, and not even a traffic ticket in over 30 years. No explanation why it was put on hold.
A month later still no call, so we went back to the store and they told us it would be automatically approved after 30 days since the state didn't say differently. But the kicker was he had to do the background check again because it's only good for 30 days! They called it in again, and it was approved immediately.
Shop owner said it happens occasionally, and never any explanation why.
Sounds very frustrating. I wonder if i could just cancel the order then repurchase the gun so I could just resubmit the paper work?

Sounds very frustrating. I wonder if i could just cancel the order then repurchase the gun so I could just resubmit the paper work?

I seriously doubt it. And it might even bring up a red flag in the system if they saw you were pending and trying to get around a current delay. Not sure why the delay, but whatever the state's reason it will still be there if you went elsewhere. Be calm and patient, as it's not the gun shop's fault, and likely not yours either.

Does anyone know If i can still purchase other guns / lowers while I have a pending delay?

I know a guy who used to get delayed every once inawhile--he never let that stop him from trying to buy more guns & he has thousands of them. Eventually the Arizona CCW came out and he got one for himself, so no more delays for him

I wouldn't cancel anything but you could go to a dif gunstore and try again

I found a private party ar9 I want go after but I would feel like such a jerk If i set it up with the guy and then had problems with the bgc. How do people usually handle delays with private party sales?

I found a private party ar9 I want go after but I would feel like such a jerk If i set it up with the guy and then had problems with the bgc. How do people usually handle delays with private party sales?
For that you need to ask the FFL you wish to use. Some will take the gun, let the seller walk with his cash. Then they hold the gun while you try to pass. If you do not they have the gun and it would be up to you and them how to handle it to try to get some of your money back. So if the seller is willing to travel to a shop that will be willing to take the gun and let him go with his money? Seller has nothing to lose and nothing to risk. First ask the shop, not all of them work this the same way.

Too bad you don't live in AZ, we just verify the buyer has an AZ driver's license and get the money--some people want the buyer to sign a bill of sale but there's no delay bs with a private sale here

Too bad you don't live in AZ, we just verify the buyer has an AZ driver's license and get the money--some people want the buyer to sign a bill of sale but there's no delay bs with a private sale here
Sadly OR and WA were just like this a short time ago. Gun owners who refused to get involved or actively even supported anti gun law makers stood back and watched this happen to them. MANY are still finding out about "this new law" that went in years ago. When they find out they of course get mad and blame everyone else for them doing nothing. :s0054:
Meanwhile this of course does absolutely nothing to slow the criminals down getting the guns they want. :mad:

Sadly OR and WA were just like this a short time ago. Gun owners who refused to get involved or actively even supported anti gun law makers stood back and watched this happen to them. MANY are still finding out about "this new law" that went in years ago. When they find out they of course get mad and blame everyone else for them doing nothing. :s0054:
Meanwhile this of course does absolutely nothing to slow the criminals down getting the guns they want. :mad:

I give credit to the AZ Citizens Defense League but without our support they would have failed

Delays can be weird. I went on a buying spree a few years back where I bought a few pistols in a couple months time and on like my 3rd one it got delayed and a trooper called the store and asked to talk to me. Something about my address not matching what they saw on file...I had lived at that place for over a year at the time and had done change of address with the post office and dmv...plus I told him I had just bought a couple other guns recently without issue...he just told me to try to do a change of address again before buying another gun and he let me have that one.

Just wait it out, I just got a delay on Friday wasn't really surprised with what's going on. Know people who have never had a delay and know people who have more then enough for all of us. It's just the system we use. Just be respectful to the business and you'll get the call to pickup as soon as they hear back from OSP. Not sure about trying to get another firearm with a delay.
Good luck

OMG! You must have rampant crime and murder daily!....
Wait? We had that here before too. :(

Ordered a seekins havak and it finally arrived at my ffl. Filled out bgc and it came back delayed. I don't have a chl
But I've bought several guns over the years, not a felon, no unpaid tickets etc. pass background checks all the time for work. Even worked inside Oregon state penitentiary and the state police crime lab etc. I've been waiting since august 10 th. No word other than delayed. I've called the number and left my info several times this is ridiculous. Is there any recourse???

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top