JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi Everyone,

New to the forum here and have some questions. On March 27 I purchased A Tac-14 dm from a private party and did the Bgc at Tigard pawn 4 more and everything went smooth even considering all this virus madness. Well today I had the bright idea I wanted something to run some cheap rounds through and Ordered a Tx22 from Nw Armory. The online system gave me no option for store pick up even though it was in stock. I decided to drive down and see what to do. They had me stand in the parking and place the order and assured me i wouldn't be charged for shipping. I was, No biggie they made up the difference with some ammo. Then they tell me the order had to be processed and I had to wait for an email. Ok so I left, an hour later I go the email telling me to come in. ugh. Now on to the Bgc. Filled out all the paperwork and handed it over. Nw armory handed me a receipt and told me the would call me when I was ready. Ok I left again. I then realized that they never took my prints? Was that because I was in the system from the transfer at Tigard pawn for more a few days earlier? Well after another 3 hours I get a call saying my background check has been delayed. how is this possible? What steps should I take?

You think there is something you can do? You can stay polite to the store employees while they wait for the fbi/nics or the state to notify them that you've either received a proceed or a denial--don't bug them about it cause they don't know yet

BTW, I used to be an FFL & I've been denied a few times myself & there's nothing to be gained right now by getting pissed off or belligerent about it

Ok thanks. No harm no foul. I was mostly concerned about not having my thumb prints taken. I that common practice? Possibly the reason for the delay?

I'm in Arizona and have a ccw, they don't even make a phone call to the nics/fbi, let alone take my prints when I buy a gun here with a ccw, which was the reason I got it--I got tired of the feds harassing me with their stupid delay/deny BS

Hi there,
I am a current licensed FFL out of WA state. There is a workflow change at NICS center due to workload and staffing levels because of the situation. The FBI/NICS sent out an email on March 30th with the details. The normal workflow is that when a check is called in, the operators at the call center input the data. They do not see any information that is on your record. Based on algorithms and the data, the system will return a "proceed" or "needs further review" for the latter, the call is transferred to an FBI examiner that can access the records to see what the algorithm hit on. Most of the time the hit is nothing that stops a clearance and the examiner will give a "proceed". The work flow change is that for the time being something that requires "further review" is automatically given a delay since NICS has reported a record number of checks in addition to manpower levels being reduced and modified. This is only temporary till the current situation is resolved.

You were most likely a "further review" on the 27th but the examiners were still taking the calls directly and able to issue a "proceed" immediately. Further reviews are not uncommon and in the vast majority of the cases while annoying, is nothing to worry about. Usually minor things like confusion with a name or someone with a similar name that is on the naughty list. I wouldn't worry about it and let the proper time run it's course.

All the more reason to get rid of NICS. FFL's should do the check if they choose, and frequent buyers can get a PIN assigned to expedite the process. Get government uninvolved with this unconstitutional practice.

Hi Everyone,

New to the forum here and have some questions. On March 27 I purchased A Tac-14 dm from a private party and did the Bgc at Tigard pawn 4 more and everything went smooth even considering all this virus madness. Well today I had the bright idea I wanted something to run some cheap rounds through and Ordered a Tx22 from Nw Armory. The online system gave me no option for store pick up even though it was in stock. I decided to drive down and see what to do. They had me stand in the parking and place the order and assured me i wouldn't be charged for shipping. I was, No biggie they made up the difference with some ammo. Then they tell me the order had to be processed and I had to wait for an email. Ok so I left, an hour later I go the email telling me to come in. ugh. Now on to the Bgc. Filled out all the paperwork and handed it over. Nw armory handed me a receipt and told me the would call me when I was ready. Ok I left again. I then realized that they never took my prints? Was that because I was in the system from the transfer at Tigard pawn for more a few days earlier? Well after another 3 hours I get a call saying my background check has been delayed. how is this possible? What steps should I take?

As far as I know, Washington does it different that Oregon. Wa calls straight to NICS. In Oregon the call goes to OSP and then OSP accesses NICS. You said "DELAY"? I'll presume you meant delay and NOT "Denial". Delays happen to people for, who knows what, reasons. NW Armory should have given you a number for OSP that people call when they get a delay. You call that number, leave a message, and they should get back to you with some sort of explanation. that's how it's worked in the past. At this time? Who knows. Best of luck. The point is, get to looking for the # at OSP and contact them.

My wife's very first gun purchase in 2011 got a delay. That took 30 days to get a pass on.

Sounds frustrating, and seems NW Armory has a very depersonalized process in all this madness. And also, the Dems got their "waiting period" through subterfuge.
The thumb print does not affect the 4473.
Hang in there.

The LGS should have provided you with contact info for OSP's delay denial appeal line. Leave a message they usually call back in 24 hours and if everything is good to go they are quite fast about changing the delay to proceed.
Also here is a link to the osp page in there you can find the number to call "FICS guide to appealing an Oregon firearms transfer or delay"

Good Luck

I wouldn't worry too much about the thumb prints causing any delay. I had a local gun shop tell me the thumb prints were required for their records and weren't actually sent in with the form. So they will likely have you do them when you pick up the firearm. Although the shop could have been feeding me a line.

There are plenty of people out there that can legally own firearms that get delays. As others have said, right now is just a difficult time to get stuck in that process. I'll forgo the discussion of constitutionality as that is a different ball of worms.

Good luck and I hope you get it cleared up soon.

Thanks for the info fella's I appreciate it. I called and left a message on the OSP line this morning. I will just wait it out and see. Just a bummer for a silly little .22 that I bought out of boredom.

Thanks for the info fella's I appreciate it. I called and left a message on the OSP line this morning. I will just wait it out and see. Just a bummer for a silly little .22 that I bought out of boredom.

It's like lighting. You never know just when or where it will strike. I always have a touch of anxiety when waiting for the official Okee-Dokee from the OSP.

These are tough times for everybody. NW Armory is not a big box store and I'm guessing they are trying to do the best to remain in business. And before I go any further I should mention I am in no way affiliated nor do I know any one that works there. About a week ago my wife decided she didn't like the Smith 38 revolver on her side of the bed and she wanted a 9mm pistol. So I dug a bunch out and she had trouble racking them. I was reminded of the ad I recently saw for the S&W EZ now in 9mm. Turns out NW Armory had them on sale at a good price. I got there at 11AM when they opened and was told I had to order on line and I went straight home and did that. I returned to the store and filled out the paperwork on a provided clipboard outside the building and they took my thumb prints. I was told there were 87 ahead of me in the que and it would be a couple hours wait. They texted me a couple hours later at home and I returned and picked the pistol. And yeah there were people waiting in line outside. I can not expect procedures to go as smoothly as they do in normal times. I honestly felt NW Armory was doing the best they could under the current situation. I'll be a return customer someday.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews