JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently started using a food dehydrator, I have noticed over the coarse of a week or so the fruit is less dry. It's slightly chewy, definatly not like the crispness when originally dried. It tastes fine, but I have no idea what spoiled dehydrated food looks like.

- How long will dehydrated fruit last in a jar like this? Bormioli Rocco Italian Fido Glass .5 liter Canning Jars
- Do I need to put O2 obsorbers in with the food as we eat it?
- Do I need to use a moisture absorbing packet?

G.

I had apricots last a year and they were chewy,(In jars, Ziplocks).
If you use o2 absorbers the food needs to be crispy.
Just experiment, My sister uses a seal a meal thing that pulls all of the air out then seals.
My wife uses a straw and throws them in the freezer for extra safety.

As said above I use a vac-seal process after the dehydration. Food can't spoil if you take away oxygen and light, so put the stuff in light blocking buckets/containers. If you're dehydrating for long term storage then this is a step you should take to ensure the 'long' part.

I would sure like to learn how to dehydrate or freeze dry food for long term storage.

Freeze Drying Food

Find a mesh metal tray. The tray should have some holes or the freeze-drying process will take longer. These can be found at any restaurant supply store. Next, cut the apple or potato into very thin slices. The thinner the slice, the less time the process will take. Arrange the slices on the tray and place in freezer. Within 30 minutes, they should be frozen. Keep in freezer for about one week to completely dry. To test, remove one slice and thaw. If it is not completely dry, it will turn black. If this happens, keep slices in freezer for another day or two and test again.

That's the cheapy-at-home way. Not the best by far.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top