JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For my 52nd BD my wife bought me a dehumidifier for my basement, where I store a couple boxes of ammo as well as some guns in a safe that is not real tight. What I am wondering is how effective are they and what would be optimun humidity to store these items?

Thanks,
Marty

I use them for work related issues. We always shoot for 35% or less when creating a dryer environment. 45% or higher is moldly and clammy feeling like most basements.
They do work well BUT they consume lots of energy. They're basically an air conditioner which sucks the moisture out of the air by collecting the condensation created on the coil set. Either you'll need to hook up the discharge to a drain or stay on top of emptying the reservoir.
They will help anything, especially guns and ammo last longer.
Happy Birthday!

I have had asmall dehumidifier in the safe. When I turned the dehumidifier on it saidit was at63% this morning down to 50% and a bucket of water. I will hook up the drain hose after I get a feel for how much water it pulls out regularly.
Thanks,
Marty

I have kept some of the crystal (like salt) dehumidifiers in my gun vaults for years and NEVER had any rust issues. Having the machine is really neat though...but do keep on top of emptying the reservoir.

I have run a dehumidifier for probably 15 years. I now have a 12x12 gun room with a goldenrod in the safe and the dehumidifier running set at 35% and the room stays a nice 75° and pulls a gallon of water out about every 2 weeks with our current weather and this is in a basement. I dont bother with a drain hose as I check it regularly and the unit shuts off when full. My old unit went TU and the new one is a nice little unit that Bi Mart sells for $139.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top