Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Definitive NW Shooting Areas...

Discussion in 'Outdoor Shooting Areas' started by Mr. Black, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Mr. Black

Mr. Black Zigzag, OR Member

I am sure that this has been mentioned before, but I am not sure why it isn't easier to find.

I am proposing a definitive Google Maps map which will show all ranges (indoor and outdoor) in our areas..

With Google, you can add a single point to the map, draw borders around an area, draw shapes, etc over a map of the shooting area.

You can add a title and description to any point on the map. In the description, I propose that we add local LE info in the description which would allow anyone interested in using that area to call and confirm that they are in fact allowed to shoot there.

I was playing around with Google Maps and it took me a couple minutes to do this: Click Here. Mind you, this is just an example.

We also have a choice of who gets to collaborate in this map. It can be open to the public, open to the moderators of this forum or open to a select few who would ensure that the information is entered properly.

Thoughts? Questions? Suggestions? Comments?

2. ZeroRing

ZeroRing 26th District, WA Active Member

3. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

Sounds good. I didn't see anything on your map (it looked like a blank US map) but a Google map could definitely work. I'm halfway surprised somebody hasn't done this.

4. ZeroRing

The map linked above is only one of the items to be found in the "NWFA Resources" section (second item listed on the top row of NWFA links above). :cool:

5. Mr. Black

Mr. Black Zigzag, OR Member

Well shoot.. :eek:

I knew it was too good of an idea to not have been done before..

Although, there are still many posts where people are asking about locations.. Maybe we can sticky a link in this section of the forums?..

6. pyromancer

pyromancer Portland Freelance Graphic Designer Bronze Supporter

This map doesnt seem to have spots to shoot just retailers for guns and ammo. Your idea is still good Mr. Black this map seems like it could be added to a lot. It is a good start though.

7. ZeroRing

There are also "formal" shooting clubs/ranges shown on the NWFA map (http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/map.php) but you are correct, it doesn't list everyones favorite "informal" shooting spot.

Frankly, it probably shouldn't either because posting a location in a map like that could be interpreted as this site "endorsing" shooting at those spots and NWFA cannot be put in the position of potentially being held liable for anyone who shoots in these "informal" areas.

It's better for folks to just share their own personal experiences with informal areas that they've found to be "friendly" to shooting within the threads in the Outdoor Shooting Areas section. :thumbup:

Good luck, stay safe, and always leave the areas cleaner than when you arrived!

8. Dr. Tatu

Dr. Tatu pdx Member

I agree. Not only for the reason that you mentioned, but also for the fact that--and sorry to be kind of a jerk here--the fewer people using the remaining fairly nice spots, the better. This forum is viewable by anyone, so for instance, when looking for outdoor shooting areas, any schmo can search google and find some of our prized areas through this forum.

Which, unfortunately, means more traffic, and more importantly/frustratingly, more trash/brass/shells/junk/litter/unsafe as**oles in the woods.

Like, for instance, the two guys who unloaded their ARs in my general direction a few weeks ago while I was driving up wolf creek road (I think it was). :eek:

9. pyromancer

pyromancer Portland Freelance Graphic Designer Bronze Supporter

It already has a few outdoor "informal" areas on it(green, unless I am miss-reading them). I would say have all or none. Having some seems to be more of an endorsement to me, and I would guess a jurry would see it as the same way if legal action where taken. From a liability standpoint I would say you either A. Don't list any informal areas or B. list all of them and let anyone add new ones so that the site can say that they don't endorse anything and are just making information available to the public.

NWFA can not be held liable for providing information. If they could millions of websites would be held liable for millions of things everyday. You tube shows some kid how to make a bomb with mintos and diet coke there not liable, website posts information on hacking not liable, I could go on. If organizations or websites where liable for providing information there would be a lot more law suites. Providing non partial information falls into the freedom of speech category. It only becomes a liability issue if NWFA is promoting shooting in a particular area or areas.

The issue of wanting to keep spots clean and keeping nice spots secret. No argument here on that one. I pack out more then I pack in and I am always disappointing in what others have left behind.

10. owdee tt nl

owdee tt nl Edmonds or Renton Member

I agree and disagree with putting informal shooting places. On the one hand telling people is a good thing so people dont go where they shouldnt be but on the other hand people will trash the place and be unsafe. I think as long as you are being safe and cleaning up after yourself, it should be fine

11. bnsaibum

bnsaibum Corvallis, OR Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I found this while looking for cheap or free places to shoot high power rifles near Corvallis. The web page has a listing of quite a few ranges worldwide, but with an attachment in Google Earth, not Google Maps. Worth a look in my opinion.

Fullbore/Highpower Facilities - Google Earth Community