JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a big game hunting license and modern firearm tag I failed to fill. I have a friend who is older and with black powder tag. I am wondering if it is legal for me to go with him while not carrying any firearm and obviously not doing any of the shooting, but to help him with gutting and hauling if he was to get a deer. If I used a deer call, but no weapon, would that be me "hunting"? I was looking at the definition of "to hunt" and I feel like doing that might not be kosher -- maybe a sort of "capture"?

(33) "To hunt" and its derivatives means an effort to kill, injure, harass, harvest, or capture a wild animal or wild bird.

I go out at times with a friend during hunting season...
Said friend has no firearm or bow...and is along just for the hike , and to see if hunting is really something they want to do.
I think we are okay doing this....but as I am not a lawyer , I ain't sure...
With that said , I don't really worry 'bout it either.

I would think that if you have no hunting weapon and did no shooting but only help field dress and pack out a properly tagged animal...you would be okay as well...
Again there is that word "think" involved.....

Maybe give a call to Washington Dept. of Fish and Wildlife , to get a real answer....I'd also get the contact information from the person who answered the question and a written conformation of the answer if the answer was : Yes its legal ....
And keep this on your person when going out with your friend.
Andy

I'm an Oregon resident and went along elk hunting with @11Charlie and @Joe13 all camo'ed up (with hunter orange to boot) with a GP100 .357 strapped to my leg for a PDW in WA State to help with spotting and pack out any kill (plus supply the group some rugged good looks and panache that I'm known for.... LOL). I wasn't EVEN about to pay the RIDICULOUSLY high fees for a non-resident hunting license and tags!

We actually hung out and BS'ed with a couple of WA State Game Wardens for a fair amount of time, and they never even batted an eye at me. Although WA State is an open carry state, I also have a WA State CPL so I wasn't worried about it.

not illegal to walk in the woods with a firearm IMO. id just take a sidearm if you wanna tag along with your buddy. if you get stopped with a rifle you'll likely have some explaining to do if you choose to talk.

I too have enjoyed my conversations with Game Wardens when out hunting...
'Course I am usually carrying some sort of odd or antique firearm , hunting season or not when out on public land and that may have been of some help to our conversation...:D
Andy

I had some questions about Varmint hunting, (Out of state), Oregon, so I e-mailed the Dept of Fish & Game.
I received a nice e-mail back with the requirements and carried it with me in case I was questioned.

Thanks for all the answers. I'll email WDFW this week -- that's a great idea.

Normally I carry a .357 with me but my intention is to just carry bear spray to eliminate any possible suspicions, providing I get a positive response from the email.

I frequently help out friends after my tag is filled. No issues. I carry a short barreled revolver that wouldn't be mistaken for a hunting implement.

Good for you for asking and being aware of perceptions.

This pertains to Oregon, not WA

I guess I'm different. I wouldn't hesitate to haul a carbine style in the woods with a pistol on my hip while not hunting but keeping a buddy company.

I'm not guilty of anything and a Staties opinion has no facts to back it up. Thus have to actually catch you shooting an animal to cite you or have somebody say you shot it

No I don't hunt, I haven't for 10 years, I'm here for support and I have no interest in breaking rules. I also value my life and will defend it as such if needed.

"Damn Nature, you scary!"

None of this is legal advice. I just value my life.

old ODFW stats:

Middle of second page should be clear. I could dig for a more recent clarification if absolutely needed.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top