JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It used to be that a ''Long Distance'' was a type of phone call you made to your Grandma. Or when older maybe a Sweetheart from overseas?

They would charge you a lot of money and you tried to keep it under 10 minutes, or Mom would start to give you dirty looks and begin tapping on the back of her wrist.

Not really sure if any of that pertains to ''Long Range''? :s0153:

It used to be that a ''Long Distance'' was a type of phone call you made to your Grandma. Or when older maybe a Sweetheart from overseas?

They would charge you a lot of money and you tried to keep it under 10 minutes, or Mom would start to give you dirty looks and begin tapping on the back of her wrist.

Not really sure if any of that pertains to ''Long Range''? :s0153:
You bung, I was just getting ready to write that!

It's all subjective and based on many factors! For me, I look at the historical capabilities of a given chambering and the rifles it was designed along side. As an example, the 1903 Springfield had iron sights marked out to beyond 2000 yards, and in the right conditions, the .30/06 can still be lethal all the way out that far, though it's a fair long stretch for both, ( not to mention the shooters, training) and during both World Wars, 800 Yards was drilled into service members, and shots were made countless times out to that and beyond, so for me, Long range would be 800 and beyond. That said, if I were carrying an M-4, that Long Range would be 600 yards MAX. These musings are considering a target that may be shooting back, often with things worse then you have going down range at you! Again, it's all subjective, a .300 WM is going to change the game, and .338 L.M has continued to redefine what long range really is!
If I were looking for, Or Building a long range tool, I would be considering every thing that goes into accuracy potential, including hand loads carefully worked up to match the rifles best potential. Barrel specs alone could fill half this page, and then there is a blue printed action and bolt, another half page, and many pages devoted to ammo!

To be honest, Out of all the historical experiences, long range seems to remain at 800 and beyond! Mid range to me, would be 400 to 800 and short range is bad breath to 400! Given that Modern Military Small arms are medium range weapons, I would say that any thing capable of more then 600 is a long range tool!

For me nowadays....I'd say 200 plus yards.
Where I live and hunt 150 yards is a "long shot" ....but I hunt in timber and heavily wooded areas.

I think long range can mean many things depending on :
The skill of the shooter...
What firearm and cartridge used...
Optics or iron sights...
Where you are shooting...
Whether its a target , game animal or if necessary a human...
Andy

Way to commit, Andy...... o_O

;):D

A long range will hold an extra large pizza. :)

I'm all for that!

I put up a treestand yesterday overlooking our new and very large to us clearcut. I need to get a new battery and put my rangefinder to use, but I believe it's 300 yards to the treeline. Deer aren't very big here and that's a pretty far poke on a small target that might move.
Would I take a shot at a standing animal at that distance? Yes. But much further and I'd have to be pretty confident in the conditions to give it a try on a game animal.

It's all subjective and based on many factors! For me, I look at the historical capabilities of a given chambering and the rifles it was designed along side. As an example, the 1903 Springfield had iron sights marked out to beyond 2000 yards, and in the right conditions, the .30/06 can still be lethal all the way out that far, though it's a fair long stretch for both, ( not to mention the shooters, training) and during both World Wars, 800 Yards was drilled into service members, and shots were made countless times out to that and beyond, so for me, Long range would be 800 and beyond. That said, if I were carrying an M-4, that Long Range would be 600 yards MAX. These musings are considering a target that may be shooting back, often with things worse then you have going down range at you! Again, it's all subjective, a .300 WM is going to change the game, and .338 L.M has continued to redefine what long range really is!
If I were looking for, Or Building a long range tool, I would be considering every thing that goes into accuracy potential, including hand loads carefully worked up to match the rifles best potential. Barrel specs alone could fill half this page, and then there is a blue printed action and bolt, another half page, and many pages devoted to ammo!

To be honest, Out of all the historical experiences, long range seems to remain at 800 and beyond! Mid range to me, would be 400 to 800 and short range is bad breath to 400! Given that Modern Military Small arms are medium range weapons, I would say that any thing capable of more then 600 is a long range tool!

You used less than 10 exclamation points on that good hunk-o-knowledge! You're not depressed are you?

I once read it as any distance past a point where a shooter has to calculate more than just gravity...ie wind, barometric pressure, coriolis effect, etc.
Generally 600+ yards.

For me personally anything past 300yds.
But I'm not a patient rifle shooter.

I once read it as any distance past a point where a shooter has to calculate more than just gravity...ie wind, barometric pressure, coriolis effect, etc.
Generally 600+ yards.

For me personally anything past 300yds.
But I'm not a patient rifle shooter.

The Coriolis Effect is real. I moderate it. :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top