JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Didn't answer the question and thinking you need to change your ammo at 6 months is ridiculous.
Even if you have lots of money it's kinda ,well ,ridiculous

You do whatever you want with your guns and ammo and I'll do the same. I think it's ridiculous to think that ammo carried daily for 5 years, having been exposed daily to dust/dirt/body oils during that time is reliable enough to stake your life on. 6 month changeout is what I was taught and it's what I do.

But like I said, you do what you want to do and I'll do the same :s0155:

I tend to keep things simple, Hornady Critical Defense in both 1911s.

There was a test of ammo published sometime this month or last month. The Critical Defense didn't expand at all in ballistic gelatin. Don't remember if they added some layers of clothing and tried it that way though. Anyway, Critical Defense didn't pass their criteria for a defense round.

The Golden Sabers expanded everytime.

You do whatever you want with your guns and ammo and I'll do the same. I think it's ridiculous to think that ammo carried daily for 5 years, having been exposed daily to dust/dirt/body oils during that time is reliable enough to stake your life on. 6 month changeout is what I was taught and it's what I do.

But like I said, you do what you want to do and I'll do the same :s0155:

I have some 20 + year old ammo in one of my 9MM backups, still GTG

I carry 124 grain +P Gold Dots or 124 grain +P Federal HST's in my G19's.

Regarding the Hornady Critical Defense rounds, I've seen and heard of too many instances of the rubber tip creating feed issues in some of my co-workers and friends' guns. Anyone had any similar experiences?

In my Springfield Ultra Compact 1911, and Taurus TCP, I use Critical Defense. I am considering switching to Critical Duty for the 1911 in .45ACP.

Has anyone tried Federal Guard Dog Home Defense ammo?? I would be interested in results, whether it fed reliably, accuracy, etc, etc......

Link:
<broken link removed>

------------------------------------------------------------

Capitalism is BO$$!!!

My preferred .45ACP defensive loads in order are:

200 grain Hornady XTP
230 grain Gold Dot standard pressure
230 grain Golden Saber standard pressure

I like the 200 grain XTP's because they fed totally reliably, and were the most accurate rounds out of the various guns I shot them in.

Right now, my 9mm carry ammo is Hornady Critical Defense 124 grain or 147 grainers (only because I couldn't find 124's when I bought more ammo. Both work very well.)

(9mm)

I use Black Hills in my Rugers because that's what Ruger uses to test their firearms.

I used to carry Hydra-Shok's until i started finding manufacturing flaws (cracks) - which as it turns out is not entirely uncommon.

Also used to carry Critical Defense but the plastic tips just don't age well, kind of lost confidence in them.

Doesn't matter what the tests show. Doesn't matter what the statistics are. Doesn't matter what the local range lawyer thinks. Doesn't matter what expands best. Doesn't matter what brand of ballistic gelatin, what range, what caliber, what stance, which brand, what the clothing was or how fast the draw was.

Test it in your weapon.

Then carry the one you'll bet your life on.

It's your bet. Don't let anyone tell you how to place it.

Right now my XDM 9mm is loaded with Remington Golden Sabers- they feed well and expand consistently with my unscientific water-filled milk jug testing. I've run a few different hollow points through my Sig P238 and currently am carrying it with Hydrashoks. I do however rotate out my self defense loads about every 6 months too. Sure that ammo is probably fine but it gives me an opportunity to run HP's through the gun to check feed reliability (again) and I just feel better knowing what's in there hasn't been there for 3 years. I mean I clean my carry pistol every week because it gets filthy with lint, dirt, and the like- this includes unloading the mags and wiping everything down I just like knowing the ammo in the weapon has the greatest chance to do its job if the need arises.

Plus making milk jugs full of water or pumpkins that were on sale after Halloween explode is friggin sweet and HP's work better than ball rounds for this purpose...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top