JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Most guys here think they will never be on a train but they have little insight into their future. Seattle is going to ban single family dwellings forcing people to crowd together. Next they will ban private automobiles and force people on trains and busses. Might as well figure out today how to survive tomorrow.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3309753/posts

Last Edited:
Most guys here think they will never be on a train but they have little insight into their future. Seattle is going to band single family dwellings forcing people to crowd together. Next they will ban private automobiles and force people on trains and busses. Might as well figure out today how to survive tomorrow.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3309753/posts

Due to parking limitations, my employer is trying to get people to take mass transit. We have a streetcar that stops within 1 block of our office as well as a bus stop. Only a little further to the new Max line. They don't have room for more parking, so encouragement for mass transit grows.

Unfortunately (actually, fortunately ;)) for many of us, coming and going to meetings, etc. during the day makes mass transit an unusable form of transportation. We need the flexibility to come and go with little notice and to get exactly where we're going in a timely fashion. When I have to use mass transit, I don't feel safe. Riding the trains into Chicago is quite an experience, especially over St Patrick's day - not an experience I would recommend :( I've never seen so many drunk people in one place, nor seen so many people kicked off a train. I never felt safe on those trains.

So you are in a moving train when attacked, what part of the car should you be at? By the door, either end of the car, what position is best defendable?

So you are in a moving train when attacked, what part of the car should you be at? By the door, either end of the car, what position is best defendable?

I'm no tactical expert, but the place I try to avoid is in a corner or up against a back wall, where there is only one possible out. I prefer in the middle somewhere, maybe near a door or exit window. Having at least two directions to go is better than just one. I also try to avoid turning my back to the door so I can see who is coming and going.

Not a lot of viable options....

I'd probably grab the nearest anti-gun liberals that think no CC on trains is a good idea, and throw a couple of them at the bad guy.
I carry for my protection and the protection of my family. If someone chooses to be unprepared, especially in Portland, I'll call the cops for you. It's not worth the liability.

I'm no tactical expert, but the place I try to avoid is in a corner or up against a back wall, where there is only one possible out. I prefer in the middle somewhere, maybe near a door or exit window. Having at least two directions to go is better than just one. I also try to avoid turning my back to the door so I can see who is coming and going.

Just thinking out how the guy was murdered. Story had him down in the middle of the car and all possible help at either end. He was stabbed 40 times in less than three minutes. If you are armed and decide to fire it is possible that you will shoot through your attacker and kill a bystander.

Just thinking once you get on the train you have put yourself in an enclosed space with no escape. Picking a defendable position would seem prudent any time you are in a confined area. How do you guys pick your spot?

Ugly event that shows people will stand there and watch as you are murdered, what would you have done different if you were the victim?
No offense, I'm sure you weren't implying anything by your use of the word victim but I have to disagree with the premise that as a victim anything different could have been done. By definition victims die at the hands of criminals. Don't be a victim, don't do things that allow yourself to be victimized and when faced with someone that intends to do you harm, violence of action and determination of mind had better be your response.

I've been shot at on two separate occasions, faced down a meth-head with a 12ga, been blindsided by a liquor bottle and in more than a few street fights. Point is, I've managed to survive to a ripe old age by being willing to meet violence with more violence, to be better prepared than those who sought to do me harm. I can barely even conceive of a world where a train car full of human f'n beings (alleged) would sit there paralyzed because not one of them had ever given a thought about the possibility of having to mount some form of personal defense.

Ahh.. The Protectionist Fantasy, come on in the waters warm ('cause it's probably piss).

The chances of me being on a crowded passenger train are slim to none. I like trains, hate crowds.

My life is such that I control pretty much everything I do. Being on a commuter train at ay time is not on the radar.

An east coast situation might be worth a read, but a situational analysis might be better used on a more on something closer to home.

Some years ago, some guy was stabbed to death in the kidney by a bum while he was holding the Portland Pottery Barn's (NW 23rd) door open for his family.
It don't gotta be no stinkin' train.

If we are to take anything from this tragic event, it's that it'd be hard for some scumbag to catch you unawares while properly deploying a selfy stick. Good luck getting within six feet of me and I can see behind myself! lol kidding

If you are armed and decide to fire it is possible that you will shoot through your attacker and kill a bystander.

THIS. I am uncomfortable with people carrying guns in a tightly enclosed space like a train. I think people are more likely to accidentally hit bystanders than to actually hit the bad guy. Imagine if you got into a wrestling contest over the gun and it goes off....

I say bring a knife or a stick. Engage the guy and start shouting orders at the other bystanders. If you just yell help odds are no one is going to come. Look and point if you can at specific people and bark orders like "I'm going to wrap up the guys arms, you go and grab him from behind" to move people to action.

THIS. I am uncomfortable with people carrying guns in a tightly enclosed space like a train. I think people are more likely to accidentally hit bystanders than to actually hit the bad guy. Imagine if you got into a wrestling contest over the gun and it goes off....

I say bring a knife or a stick. Engage the guy and start shouting orders at the other bystanders. If you just yell help odds are no one is going to come. Look and point if you can at specific people and bark orders like "I'm going to wrap up the guys arms, you go and grab him from behind" to move people to action.
Yea, you don't wanna shoot innocent people I would imagine. I remember like thirty five years ago firearm instructor Ayoob preaching to go all turtle. Well, you don't have to go all turtle to make your rounds go up and away.. but through. lol

2 under the chin and innocents are safe, I am safe, bad guy is in another place. If the train is two stories I have a bit of a problem. Otherwise I will point up and get them a 1500fps start right up to heaven only to watch them be drug the other way.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top