Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Deer Scare

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by PaulZ, Jan 11, 2013.

1. PaulZ

PaulZ Oregon City Active Member

In the interest of preserving the deer and my car; do any of you folks in eastern OR WA or ID have a thought on what "deer scare" device works?
    I bought some, installed on the car, but I noticed a couple of does browsing on the edge of the highway. They did not even look up as I went by.

2. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

I don't know if this scares them or not but they sure do have a look when being punted into a ditch at 60 MPH.

2012-09-07_11-24-21_739_zps713f6219.jpg

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  3. mambo

mambo Eugene, Oregon Member

Have them (whistles) on all rigs and bikes. Our experience is that deer notice our approach, look up, rarely run off. Figure their awareness is a plus, still drive condition orange in deer country. During the rut, all bets are off.

4. PaulZ

PaulZ Oregon City Active Member

Where did you get the whistles?

5. mambo

mambo Eugene, Oregon Member

Got them at a local auto supply house, about 5 bucks each. I have two on the corners of each front bumper, and two stuck in the nose of our Beemers, a R1150 RT and a R1100s. Like I said, they appear to notice us, but not frighten. We fear the consequences of a hit much more on our bikes than our rigs, although we have yet to suffer any deer/elk/bear collisions. I have witnessed (unfortunately, several) examples of the amount of damage even a small deer can cause with impact. Fancy grill guards won't matter much when velocity is high and object is relatively still.