JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I will toss my hat in the ring to.
I would say the 243.
I new very little about this cartridge until about 7 years ago.
My sons first rifle. Since then between the 2 of us. We have put at least 2000 rounds through it. Taken several deer and a bear.
I can honestly say. The 243 is a very good option for your kid. They are a blast to shoot. They have no problem delivering the energy needed to get the job done.

Since we had two of these three out already (like I needed an excuse), I pulled the 243 out to illustrate my initial post.
Left to right;
Ruger 77 MKII long action in a Hogue stock. Measures 13 9/16" LOP, but that pad's so squishy it's probably shorter once you shoulder it. 30-06.
Ruger 77MKII Compact, Ruger says 12 1/2", but I measured it a bit shorter at 12 3/8". 7mm-08.
Savage 99E. Compares well with the Compact in LOP even though I didn't measure it. It does have a more sweeping grip which is a little more flexible. 243.

Since the length of pull of the Ruger Compact and the Savage both fit my grandson well I decided to start with the the 243 over the 7mm-08 for two reasons, both regarding perceived recoil. The 243 kicks less than the 7mm and the Savage is heavier than the Ruger.

Hopefully in a few years I can get my wife feeling nostalgic and longing for her 243 just long enough to train him on a bolt action.:D
big n small.jpg

.223 with 1:8 or 1:9 twist. Loaded with 64-70gr pills will anchor a deer out to 200yds. With a 50yd zero. He can pretty much shoot POA all the way to 200 which will make it easy on him. Minimal recoil, so he can practice without developing a flinch.
From what I've witnessed, a 64gr .223 Winchester PowerPoint and 64gr Nosler bonded does more internal damage than a 170gr soft point out of a .30-30.
Bigger isnt always better...

.223 with 1:8 or 1:9 twist. Loaded with 64-70gr pills will anchor a deer out to 200yds. With a 50yd zero. He can pretty much shoot POA all the way to 200 which will make it easy on him. Minimal recoil, so he can practice without developing a flinch.
From what I've witnessed, a 64gr .223 Winchester PowerPoint and 64gr Nosler bonded does more internal damage than a 170gr soft point out of a .30-30.
Bigger isnt always better...

I just bought 500 70 grain Accubonds to play with. I'll bet this would be a great deer killer to 250 or so, with a muzzle velocity of 2900.

P

I'd stick with common cartridges that aren't expensive. I don't know how big he is, but most kids do best with lesser amounts of recoil. My list would be in this order:

7mm-08, 6.5 Creedmoor, 270 (if he's big enough to throw a longer bolt), 308, 243.

243 being my last choice because I really do believe the other cartridges give your more margin for error if you hit a bone or a joint, or if the angle is less than perfect.

I agree with you most kids growing up in the 90s 270 was the in thing but I will go with the 6.5 less recoil

I hunt with this 44 mag...light recoil but packs a good punch...this is the 16 inch version so it's nice and short for youth hunters

View attachment 629466

Nice. I haven't hunted with it, but one I pack along whilst doing things like logging or working on the land is the Rossi 92 in .44 Magnum. Very little recoil, 10+1 rounds on tap, smooth action, and accurate. What more can one ask for? :D

486816-622e1a63245d2e1fad5a972d95ca135f-jpg-jpg.jpg

I purchased a Rem 700 in 6mm Rem for my 13 year old son and he loves it. Fairly light recoil and very flat shooting. More than enough power for deer hunting and uses the common .243 bullet so easy to find loading components.

As orygun said:
"Poor gun fit and too much recoil, even if YOU think it isn't, will certainly bring bad habits. Make it fit and make it not hurt."

That's why I advocate a single shot .357 mag rifle. He can start with .38 spl then move up to .357 mag. Within 150 yards the .357 will take down a deer no problem. Fun and inexpensive.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top