JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
i recently sold my 270 and was thinking of using my shot gun for deer hunting this year and was wondering if any else has done that be4 and if so what choke and shells did u use??? i was thinking of using sabot slugs but i dont know which choke to use with my 870
thanks for the help

First of all, unless you have a rifled barrel, i would stay away from sabot slugs. You need rifled slugs in a smooth bored shotgun. If you use slugs, you don't need any special choke. If you want to use buckshot, then you might notice differences in your pattern with different chokes. I would also be interested if anyone has information on that.

If you use the Sabot Slugs and don't have a rifled slug barrel, get remington's factory rifled choke. It should help stabilize it. You can use a modified choke with RIFLED SLUGS and go that way too. I haven't done the shotgun deer hunt yet but had a friend last year who killed a nice deer @ 60yrs with full choke and 00 BUCK ! Know your drops @ 50, 75 and 100 and you should be good to go.

Over here in Washington we have firearm restrictions in some of are hunting areas. when i was younger and just starting out i could not afford a hunting rifle so I used a old H&R single barrel long tom. I hunted the battle ground unit and got my deer the first day. Thanks to a neighbor who took pitty on me and invited me along. double 00 buck was all it took about a 30-40 yard shot. first deer, first time dressing a deer, first time butchering a deer even the hamburger. was a great learning experiance. good luck 00 is the way to go, full choke good out to atleast 70 yards.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top