JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
who's excited? this guy! :s0133:
it feels like christmas time when i was a youngen.

new gear, new gps, new rifles.. one of these things will have to get me a deer this year!

mainly gonna hunt the trask unit, ill park and hike in quite a ways to get away from the road hunters. that will give me a good chance to test out my gps, i am gonna order the ownership maps for it as well..

only thing left to do is figure out which rifle i want to use this year and go hit the range and get it all dialed in.

good luck to everyone and be safe.
remember its not if you get a deer or not, its the memories so make the most of it!

Concerning ownership maps, do they just show private vs. public or do they show what company owns what parcel of land? I hunt archery elk and deer rifle up in the Saddle Mtn unit but almost all private land is closed due to the dry conditions. There is one company (Campbell) that still has their lands open to walk in hunting but I can't figure out what lands are theirs.
I'm pretty excited for deer season too. I've been working on learning my new spot for the last two years and have really narrowed down where the big bucks hang out. I've got three really nice bucks on my trail cam. There is also a bear that's been slobbering on my cam so I'm hoping I can fill my bear tag early on. I've been seeing less of those bucks since that bear has shown up.

this is my second year hunting, plans didnt turn out as i would have like them to last year and i never got a chance to scout out where i want to hunt so i am going blindly again this year. i plan to hike atleast 5 miles in wherever i go and hopefully find a some good spots that i will revisit several times before next hunting season and get to know the area.

i am hoping for luck this year and experience for next year.

I'm thinking it's gonna be a good season this year. I've seen at least 10 bucks in the past month, more does and fawns than that. Last week I even had one try to jump in my car via the the windshield. Fortunately for him he realized the windshield was made of glass at the last second and did a karate kung-fu helicopter spin off the hood of my car (picture Bruce Lee with antlers staring in Enter The Cervid). Unfortunately he busted a light, dented my hood, and left some fir and green goo behind.
Last year about this time I was excited because I'd seen a lot of deer in my pre season shenanigans but it doesn't even compare to this year

I'm ready! But I'm not ready.....
It's been a busy summer drag racing. In fact, the last race is the opening day of Western Rifle season. I'll have to miss the opening day for the first time in years. This Sunday I need to do a little poking around in the area that I hunt and decide where to put up the tree stands.
I've got my tag and the rifles are ready, but all of my gear needs to be rounded back up and clothes washed.
We're still waiting to hear back so we know if we have access to some land in Eastern Oregon for elk season. Don't know yet what area or season we'll be hunting.

Don't care! Just looking forward to the 2 seasons.:s0155:

While we're on the subject of deer hunting I'll relay a story that happened last year to us. I took my son out on his first hunt. He was only 9 and it was the mentored hunt. It was opening day. We had just started walking down a logging road between some timber and a clear cut. A jeep came driving towards us and my first thought was that some knuckle head road hunter had just scared all the deer into hiding. Well the guy rolled down his window when he saw my boy carrying the rifle. He said he'd just been watching three does and a fork and horn but was holding out for something bigger. He pointed us in the direction. As we got to the spot we saw the last of the does jumping into the reprod. Didn't get a deer that day. Just thought it was awesome that there was a guy trying to help a kid get a deer. Those are the kind of people I'd like to run into more often while hunting

So how is everyone going to deal with the fire hazard closures - I am hunting western oregon this year out around mist and most of the properties are closed due to fire hazard. I took this next week off to hunt and it looks I will be doing everything but hunting unless we get some rain. How are you guys getting around the fire hazards this season?

James Ruby

well i think i am almost ready, spent the last 4 or 5 days going over google satellite over the wilson and upper trask units found 4 spots that look good in each of the zones with about 4 points in each of the spots then i marked on my game management maps the roads that go into those spots and then printed satellite images of them all so i can bring that all with me and study them until i get out there.
today or tomorrow i should be getting my ownership hunting maps for my gps in the mail as well.
tomorrow i am gonna go make sure my hunting rifles are still dialed in and then i will be ready to rock on saturday.
i think i am gonna use my 300wm for both deer and elk this year but i am gonna get my 30-06 and 300aac dialed in as well just incase i change my mind.

happy hunting!

Too old to get excited anymore;) I do have a gripe though.
I think they start gun season (waay) too early every year.
It almost never rains before the second weekend of deer season, and most of the public hunting lands are closed because of it.ODWF (NEVER) extends the season because of it.This is just WRONG! They want you out of the woods before the rut!

I have complained about this to them, but to no avail.IMO, more people need to do this.There are way less people hunting today, and this and the ever increasing lic. fees are part of the problem.Also not allowing someone to purchase a license after opening day is a bad idea.What about someone who is out of state or just forgot to purchase.It also decreases the number of lic.sold, which means loss of revenue.

WELL! My rant is over........Good luck everybody!

When you look at the statistics on the ODFW site regarding # of hunters vs. # of deer taken, the percentages absolutely suck. Your chances of bagging a Blacktail in Western Oregon are worse than winning money in Vegas. Not even worth it to jump through the hoops anymore. I'd rather spend the money on meat at the grocery store.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top