JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just bought my first place and it has a finished garage. So there are no exposed beams or truss's to throw a rope around if I were to be lucky enough to bag a deer this year. I have a 2nd floor above my garage but I know where to place some hooks if needed.

For now, I just have some screw hooks that I plan to place around the ceiling of the garage but I need to find somewhere to anchor the rope if I hang something on it.

Just curious what type of setup do you use to hang/skin your deer. I've been looking into getting a pulley system w/ gambrel, or using one of those cheap ATV winches to pull up a deer. Not sure though.

Good grief if you have a block and tackle setup a 10 year old can lift a field dressed deer out. If you get a HUGE one it won't weigh 250lbs. With a couple pulleys to multiple mechanical effort you should be able to pull it up easy.

If you get a deer and have trouble PM me I'm here in town and will come give you a hand.

I skin them in the field, much less weight to pack out. I don't need any more deer hide, but I usually keep a small patch for tying flies. There used to be a spot in Salem on 12th & Cross that would trade a pair of leather work gloves for a hide, but I haven't lived there in 25 years and the place is long gone. If anyone knows of place that does that, I might reconsider leaving the hide for the coyotes.

FYI They are still there in the same spot. Not sure if they still do the hide/glove trade but did still a couple years ago.

I have a hook mounted in the doorway of my garage where I skin them. (easy to hose off the concrete). When done with that, I grab it with my cherry picker (engine puller), wheel it inside and close the door!:s0155:

Last Edited:
I just bought my first place and it has a finished garage. So there are no exposed beams or truss's to throw a rope around if I were to be lucky enough to bag a deer this year. I have a 2nd floor above my garage but I know where to place some hooks if needed.

For now, I just have some screw hooks that I plan to place around the ceiling of the garage but I need to find somewhere to anchor the rope if I hang something on it.

Just curious what type of setup do you use to hang/skin your deer. I've been looking into getting a pulley system w/ gambrel, or using one of those cheap ATV winches to pull up a deer. Not sure though.
Check with Bolt specialty stores, like "Tacoma Screw" or "Hi Strength Nut and Bolt" and you should be able to locate large eyes that are drilled and tapped for all-thread.
Then all you have to is drill the appropriate sized hole through your main beam, get a sufficiently long enough length of all-thread, and make your own eye bolt.
Then you don't need to worry about the 2nd story, just hang the deer down with the cars.
The accompanying picture is me with the deer I shot when I was 14. We lifted it with a come-along, but that garage has exposed beams and joices, so we just wrapped some rope around that beam.
The little ATV electric winch is a good idea. Should make life a lot easier.
Thanks for posting that.

DeanMk

Me-Deer-1977_small.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads