JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been thinking about getting an AR style .22 LR for inexpensive plinking, but am wondering if I am better off going with a dedicated rifle such as the S&W.22 LR AR or a conversion kit for one of my 5.56 AR's.

Does anyone here have experience with both? Pros and Cons for each? One more accurate than the other?

dedicated .22s are just silly :s0112:

but that comes from a guy who does lots of silly things.

I prefer just having a conversion kit so i can drop it in when i run out of .223
this is great for those days after work when you just want load up 1 rifle and clean only 1 rifle afterwards if your hiking or traveling and you dont want to sling 2 rifles but want to do some .22 plinking as well as have some fire power.

a dedicated upper will be more accurate because the barrel was made for a .22 and usually have something like a 1/16 twist where as most ars are 1/9 1/7 1/8 1/12

several years ago i built a dedicated upper by drilling out a ar15 barrel and inserting a brownells .22 barrel liner leaving the original .223 ar15 chamber that way i could still use a .22 coversion kit that i could keep it in or take with me and use in my .223 ar15 I am surprised that all .22 rifles are not buit that way maybe its a safety issue cause some one could still put a chamber a .223 rd in a upper such as mine which would be a very bad thing. probably would have been easier to just buy a dedicated upper but the kits were $200 at that time. So uber cool idea and its a cool upper even has a forward charging handle like a Hk94 with bolt open but pretty darn silly waist of time building

I don't like the guns like the M&P in .22. They are .22's built to look like AR's but are not.

The conversion kits work well over all just for some general plinking. I know a few guys that have them and they seem to work well. I have a dedicated upper and that to me is the way to go.

I have 2 dedicated uppers on their own lowers and they can be put together cheaper than certain .22 only AR style rifles.

I had a .22 conversion kit for my .45 and I determined I didn't like it. I felt limited and ultimatly sold the coversion kit for a dedicated .22 pistol.

For $169 you can pick up a brand new 10/22 and pick up an tapco stock for another $99 and come fairly close to an AR style .22 for half the cost.

I have several uppers for my AR and a 22 conversion for it, really it come down to what you want ,and can afford. The conversion works great just pull the bolt and drop it in. The conversion are not much more trouble but do take more room up in the range. Bag

dedicated .22s are just silly :s0112:

but that comes from a guy who does lots of silly things.

I prefer just having a conversion kit so i can drop it in when i run out of .223
this is great for those days after work when you just want load up 1 rifle and clean only 1 rifle afterwards if your hiking or traveling and you dont want to sling 2 rifles but want to do some .22 plinking as well as have some fire power.

a dedicated upper will be more accurate because the barrel was made for a .22 and usually have something like a 1/16 twist where as most ars are 1/9 1/7 1/8 1/12

several years ago i built a dedicated upper by drilling out a ar15 barrel and inserting a brownells .22 barrel liner leaving the original .223 ar15 chamber that way i could still use a .22 coversion kit that i could keep it in or take with me and use in my .223 ar15 I am surprised that all .22 rifles are not buit that way maybe its a safety issue cause some one could still put a chamber a .223 rd in a upper such as mine which would be a very bad thing. probably would have been easier to just buy a dedicated upper but the kits were $200 at that time. So uber cool idea and its a cool upper even has a forward charging handle like a Hk94 with bolt open but pretty darn silly waist of time building

Yeah, I am leaning towards the conversion kit as a .22 LR AR would primarily be a plinking gun for me and inexpensive training option. I'm not really concerned with bullseye accuracy and would probably not use it beyond 50 yds., but I wanted input from people who have used both to see what their input was.

Having used both, I'm now the proud owner of a 22lr conversion kit for my 223/5.56 ar15 upper.

The accuracy difference was negligible between this and a dedicated upper.
The ar15 with the conversion kit will still hit soda cans at 100 yards and take out squirrels as fast as I can pull the trigger. I'm not sure what more I'd want out of a rifle.

I do get the occasional FTE with the conversion. I'd say one in every hundred rounds or so with cheap ammo. It's a level of reliability that neither my 10/22 or my 22/45 can match.

Having used both, I'm now the proud owner of a 22lr conversion kit for my 223/5.56 ar15 upper.

The accuracy difference was negligible between this and a dedicated upper.
The ar15 with the conversion kit will still hit soda cans at 100 yards and take out squirrels as fast as I can pull the trigger. I'm not sure what more I'd want out of a rifle.

I do get the occasional FTE with the conversion. I'd say one in every hundred rounds or so with cheap ammo. It's a level of reliability that neither my 10/22 or my 22/45 can match.

Good input. Thanks. Who's conversion are you using?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top