JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Some interesting thread drift here. Intuitively I believe revolver production is dwindling but demand is high. Maybe I am guilty of a little "gouging" but I turned a gorgeous 586 in 4 days and got a very nice return on it.

I like revolvers and just bought a Kimber K6. I won't carry it though simply because it doesn't make sense to me to carry a gun with six rounds when I can carry one with capacity only limited by weight and size.

I find revolvers more fun to shoot than semis, and more versatile, but for defense from humans, semis all the way.

That said, I feel I have more than enough semis.

I would like to get more revolvers - particularly in typically semi cartridges. I would like a Ruger LCRx with a 3-4" barrel in .40, .45 ACP and 9mm. Yes, I know Ruger doesn't make those, but that doesn't stop me from wanting one. I would settle for a S&W Scandium in those calibers with a 4" barrel, plus one in .45 LC.

One of these days I will get a Ruger LCRx in .22 RF and one in .357 Mag.

I find revolvers more fun to shoot than semis, and more versatile, but for defense from humans, semis all the way.

That said, I feel I have more than enough semis.

I would like to get more revolvers - particularly in typically semi cartridges. I would like a Ruger LCRx with a 3-4" barrel in .40, .45 ACP and 9mm. Yes, I know Ruger doesn't make those, but that doesn't stop me from wanting one. I would settle for a S&W Scandium in those calibers with a 4" barrel, plus one in .45 LC.

One of these days I will get a Ruger LCRx in .22 RF and one in .357 Mag.
Ruger is shipping over 500 revolvers per day currently. I can't imagine them adding any more models until the Biden sale finishes. Just a quick note, look into a Vaquero. Do the barrel in 3.75" which is a nice length. If you start with 45 colt, it is easy to add a 45 ACP cylinder. The same with 357 mag and 9 mm. You can do the same with 41 mag and 40 S&W.

The LRC in 357 mag is much easier to shoot and recoil is much less than other small frame 357s.

I love my SP 101 with a 3" barrel.

I think we forget that the average self defense shooting, on average, is over at 1.8 rounds.

wifes lcrx3 weighs 16 to 17 ounces loaded with 125 xtps. only 5 shots, but that is a sweet little revolver. hers is .38+p. and came with hogue tamer grips from the factory with the ruger logo on the them. i wanted her to have something she was gonna be afraid of jumping out of her hands. she and i both enjoy shooting it.

I have 13 .40 S&W handguns including a Charter Arms Snubby revolver. Looking for a G-22 Gen 5 in 40 as I have no dedicated Glock 40 S&W, (I do have a 40 conversion barrels for my G-29 and G-33, but they are not in my 13 count) I bought the revolver just because it was 40. On my bed stand.

Nothing needs to die with regard to firearms and ammunition, that is just ignorant unless you are a gun grabber!

You need a S&W 610.

Not true. The Underwood 115gr +P+ 9mm at 1500+ fps very closely approximates the classic 125gr Remington sjhp out of the duty length 4" barrel.
Yes, but .357 is operating at designed pressure and not being pushed past engineering limits. And, one wonders, which guns are certified for +P+? Practically speaking, Underwood has no ammunition to sell.

I would just carry a standard pressure .38 Super. Or, if I'm feeling frisky, my favorite handgun cartridge from Underwood is a 220 grain at 2660fps and 3457fpe.

Yes, but .357 is operating at designed pressure and not being pushed past engineering limits. And, one wonders, which guns are certified for +P+? Practically speaking, Underwood has no ammunition to sell.

I would just carry a standard pressure .38 Super. Or, if I'm feeling frisky, my favorite handgun cartridge from Underwood is a 220 grain at 2660fps and 3457fpe.
Yea, I wouldn't worry about it. You and I both know that for generations those magnums were practiced and qualified with across the board using peashooter .38 ammo with the magnum reserved strictly for duty for numerous reasons so I personally have no qualms against carrying 9mm +P+ ammo in duty size guns.

Yea, I wouldn't worry about it. You and I both know that for generations those magnums were practiced and qualified with across the board using peashooter .38 ammo with the magnum reserved strictly for duty for numerous reasons so I personally have no qualms against carrying 9mm +P+ ammo in duty size guns.
I guess my point is that when somene is proving a point, generally much is sacrificed to reach that point. To have to go +P+ just shows that the underlying caliber was considered to be marginal. I still have a cylinder full of the "FBI" .38 Special +P+, but I am reminded constantly that shot placement is absolutely crucial.

I guess my point is that when somene is proving a point, generally much is sacrificed to reach that point. To have to go +P+ just shows that the underlying caliber was considered to be marginal. I still have a cylinder full of the "FBI" .38 Special +P+, but I am reminded constantly that shot placement is absolutely crucial.
Yea, I carry .38 +P+ Treasury loads in a +P gun but hey.

Yea, I carry .38 +P+ Treasury loads in a +P gun but hey.
How did I know this... :cool:

Long long time ago - even before Don Maclean got his slice of the American pie, I knew a friend of a friend - kinda edgy, semi-psycho, who knew a bunch of Seattle PD guys. They were lamenting the sorry .38 Spl loads that were issued. No problem! Just like Tackleberry getting a cat out of a tree, he put his bullet puller to work and all of a sudden, they had +P (at least) rounds.

All was well unti loose lips sank the ship. Someone snitched and the brass was calling officers in. According to the FoaF, when that happened, there were little piles of .38 Spl in gutters and trash cans all over Seattle.

I started off with those polymer wonders but enjoy shooting wheelguns equally.

If you reload your ammo, wheelguns running moon clips make sure you keep all of your hard-to-find brass in 10mm, 357 sig, 44 mag, 44 spl.

Get whatever you want now before it becomes too expensive.

And yes, all steel guns are more costly to manufacturer and revolversmiths are harder and harder to find.

Revolvers are just more expensive to make and do it right. Love those all steel 3rd gen Smith and Wessons semi autos. HK killed off the HK P7 squeezecockers due to the cost of that high quality steel.

But there are those of us that will continue to buy revolvers!

So, you must not see what I see when I look at the next generation. Narrow shoulders, wide hips, neck beards, soft hands......like a lady.....

7D39B83C-FDDC-4C31-AA29-6135D3173F96.gif

Lady-babies, in fact! Built perfectly for holding any smart-phone and MAYBE running a keyboard.... at least until carpal tunnel syndrome sets in anyway. :s0140:

Last Edited:
A 357 mag 125 JHP has one of the highest rated stopping abilities at 95%. This load's stopping power far exceeds anything offered in a 9 mm. Some 45 ACP loads will equal it.

A great read, based on actual street results of shootings involving handguns is "Handguns and Stopping Power" authored by Evan Marshall and Ed Sanow.

View attachment 842365

A brief description:
"Dramatic first-hand accounts of the results of handgun rounds fired into criminals by cops, storeowners, cabbies and others are the heart and soul of this long-awaited book. This is the definitive methodology for predicting the stopping power of handgun loads, the first to take into account what really happens when a bullet meets a man."

Their two subsequent books to this initial book are also good reads. Amazon offers these books in the used book selections.

Ayoob frequently quotes Marshal and Evans.

In the past I have purchased more than one set of their books. Every time a friend has borrowed them to read and then one their friends borrows them to read and the books end up in a the lending circle never to return.

Quick summary of the subject matter...

Handguns shoot holes INTO people.

Rifles shoot holes THROUGH people.

Shotguns TEAR AND RIP holes FROM people.

No Stomper, your summary is incorrect for this thread.

Her is the correct summary

1 Revolvers are good and getting harder to find

2 Revolvers are great and getting rare.

3 Revolvers are super great and getting rare as Hen's Teeth.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top