Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Deciding on my first pistol

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by TyOfWa, Aug 30, 2009.

1. TyOfWa

TyOfWa NE of Seattle New Member

Hi all,

I have owned rifles for many years, but with a recent move out to the country I want a pistol closeby here at the house, and perhaps with me on trips.

Part 1 - Which ammo?
    I am leaning toward 9mm, but many folks have good things to say about .40. My main reason for choosing 9mm has to do with availability and cost. I understand there is a little less stopping power, but I dont know if that difference warrants a higher caliber.

Part 2 - The pistol.
    Originally I wanted to go with the simplicity of a revolver, but given the small capacity, a semi-auto appears to be a better fit. As I will be acquiring a CCW, size is a factor. So, now which one? Here are the guns I am considering in order. Please let me know what you like / dislike about them, and others I may want to consider.

One other consideration would be the Tarus Judge; mostly for the ability to use .410 shotshells as well as .45 ammo. Would be nice to bring a grouse gun on my next deer hunt without packing a separate rifle.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

2. Parker

Parker near the range New Member

Nothing wrong with 9mm. Remember, placement trumps caliber by a long shot, and 9mm has proven to work with good load selection.

The Kel Tec has a heavier trigger and might be a little small for a first pistol IMO.
    The Glock and XD are both solid choices. Basically equal, with your own sensibilities being the deciding factor. Both have good reputations and similar features; I like the Glock for it's lower bore axis and recoil characteristics, but I like the XD for it's grip safety and grip angle, both are great.

I had a Taurus Judge. It was a decent revolver and worked OK unless you used low brass shells- which would back out under recoil and bind the cylinder. It was plenty accurate with .45LC rounds though. I've seen other Judges with other owners that were a total mess though- reflective of Taurus' hit and miss quality.
    With .410 loads, 20ft is about your max range and don't use .410 for defensive stuff, just snakes and birds.

3. blindfaith

blindfaith salem Member

Try the XDm 9mm. I think you'll like it.

4. cyclesarge

cyclesarge Eugene OR, DUH! We're ALL in the NORTHWEST Well-Known Member

Here's an interesting read about "stopping power" of various handgun ammo. http://internetarmory.com/ammunition.htm

The XD and Glock 17 are both pretty large for CCW, if a gun this size is concealable for YOU I'd look at the XD(m). It's quite a bit more GUN than the XD. I don't really have any experience with the KelTec so I can't really comment on them.

As far as the Judge goes I think they are more of a novelty than anything else (I'll probably get some hate over this), I might consider one as a 5th or 6th pistol. They are 45 (long colt) which in it's self isn't a very effective round compared to more modern offerings, and the .410 with such a short barrel is really not effective except at very close range.

5. aflineman

aflineman Both South of Eugene and East of Portland. Active Member

I would look at the Glock 19. Many folks like them and feel that they are the perfect handgun. I don't own one myself (I am more of a revolver person), but I would not feel hampered or under-gunned if the 19 was my only handgun.

6. Searcher451

Searcher451 Oregon Member

You have many possibilities available to you; some of them might even surprise you. If you are in a position to do so, head to a range that rents guns and select a few that strike you as possibilities. Invite your friends along and have them bring with them their favorites so that you have some others to try. It won't take long before you narrow your choices to one of two that best fit your hand and eye. From there, you can get serious before deciding on the one gun that's right for you.

If you stretch your search out a bit, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if you made a selection that's not on your current list.

7. durango#95

durango#95 Medford New Member

Hard to wrong with the Glock 19. It's what I carry every day, have put hundreds of rounds through it accurately, with out a single failure, EVER. Small, light weight, easy to conceal.

8. MarkSBG

MarkSBG Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

I wouldn't recommend a glock 17 because you want to use it for CCW. A Glock 17 is a full sized frame handgun better suited for duty carry than CCW. The Glock you link to in your OP is most likely going to be purchased by someone in The Peoples Republic of California. Thier laws do not allow magazines with more that 10 rounds. Typically, a Glock 17 takes a magazine that holds 17 rounds.

I would recommend a Glock 19. It is smaller than a 17 but it still carries 15 rounds. If you want something more "subcompact", a Glock 26 is hard to beat. This may be the one you are thinking of, it only carries 10 rounds...

http://www.remtek.com/arms/glock/model/9/19/

http://www.remtek.com/arms/glock/model/9/26/index.htm

9. eriknemily

eriknemily Tillamook County (Cheese!) Member

I've recently started packing a s&w m&p 40 compact model. It's very comfortable. I just went shooting last weekend with a friend of mine who carries a glock 27 (compact .40 model). He shot better with my gun than he did with his own. The m&p comes with three sizes of grip pads to give some adjustment in how it 'fits' your hand. It's a great carry gun. I like it. Plus it's made in the USA if I'm not mistaken (please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)

10. cyclesarge

If you are open to other guns, specially with an eye towards CCW, I'd suggest you take a look at the Kahrs (specifically the K9, P9 or the CW9). I have an MK9 and love it, the trigger is a little unusual (but smooth!) and even though the gun is tiny it easily out shoots my XD40. They don't have very large capacities (7+1) but are very thin .9" compared to 1.18" for a Glock 26, which is pretty small.

11. golfnutrlv

golfnutrlv Spokane, WA Member

+1 to Glock's. Either 19-26 (9mm) or 22-27 (40).
    I also +1 the M&P series. I have a full size M&P 9mm. LOVE IT!!

Probably get the compact eventually, but carrying a Glock 26 right now. (money is going into a 1911 right now, not another carry gun):D

12. Brandon44647

Brandon44647 Portland Member

I bought a XD9 about a month ago , I absolutely love it.

13. TyOfWa

TyOfWa NE of Seattle New Member

Thanks for the opinions, they were quite helpful. I will talk with Wade's in Bellevue and see if I can try out some different varieties. I shot a Kimber and liked it, but it is too big for a CCW.

I will look closer at the Glock lines. Glad to know how everyone feels on this topic. How about the night sights? Are they worth it?

14. cyclesarge

Kimber actually makes a carry model that is smaller than the XD service(4" model) and the Glock 17.

15. FrontierFritz

FrontierFritz West foothills of the Cascade Mountains Member

9mm is a fine standard that has withstood the test of time: it's been around since at least 1908! It has steadily become the most popular round for the entire world. It's not going to be extinnct.For a first pistol consider something appropriate for concealed carry. That's the way to go first. Then go for a full sized pistol or revolver.

16. spookshack

spookshack Forest Grove, OR Life Member Lifetime Supporter 2016 Volunteer

I vote for the Glock 19 also. I don't own one because I prefer a full-size
    gun (G34) for CCW. I would wait to get night sites. They can always be added at a later time. Whatever gun you decide on, shoot the snot out of it.
    Then if you feel like you are going to keep it, then you can look at other things such as night sightes, etc.

17. cameronhu

cameronhu Ridgefield, Wa Member

I prefer 9mm for the reasons you mentioned. Both Glock and XD/ XD(m) are superlative guns. - Try shooting them both- If you can't shoot them, at least hold them. The single biggest selling point is going to be how they feel in your hand. As much as I want to love the glocks, not a single one has ever felt right for me. I have both an XD 45 and an XDM, and both feel great. Some folks are just the other way around. Good luck!

18. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

I've gotten some funny looks at the gun shop when I tell them I want to stick the gun in my pocket. :D Seriously though see how it feels in your pocket too.

One thing to remember is there is no one "perfect" gun for everyone, as suggest try holding and shooting many before you find "your" gun!

19. cameronhu

cameronhu Ridgefield, Wa Member

I thought you were just happy to see me :laugh:

20. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

I was! ;)